Your workbench in full glory

Started by Eddie M., December 21, 2008, 06:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on July 13, 2010, 02:46:37 PM
Love it, Gondor!  You can tell you are fully immersed in doing what you love at that bench.   :cheers:

It's usually a case of trying to find what I am working on, the desks with my computers and associated equipment are usualy covered in kit boxes and components as well.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

arkon

had a hobby room, got hitched , now i got this in the corner of the bedroom.
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

Thiel

I know the kitchen table is somewhere underneath, I'm just not sure where.

Tuck

Here is a pic of mine.  Its a lovely bench/cabinet set up in my garage that someone else put in before me.  The main drawback is in the winter it can get too cold and in the summer much too hot.  I have portable heaters and A/C and I insulated the garage door, but it only does so much.  Love my setup though.

"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

Captain Canada

My 'bench' and my favourite modelling buddy, Mers :wub:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

FAR148

Here's where I play.......

Steven L  :cheers:

Weaver

I've got a chance now (well, not too far in the future)(I hope) to build a proper modelling room with a custom-made bench. Only trouble is that the layout of the room is a bit unhelpful, but I'm not going to whinge about that given where some folk have to make do.

I was wondering: what do you think is the optimum depth (i.e. front-to-back) for a workbench? My initial though was that I wanted a big, free-standing one in the middle of the room, but looking at other's pics, much narrower ones seem more common, even in custom set-ups. Do all you folk with 600mm worktops crave a deeper one, or is it enough?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 27, 2013, 06:19:23 PM
My 'bench' and my favourite modelling buddy, Mers :wub:

You name your beers ?????  :rolleyes: ;D ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

The deeper the workbench, the more crap accumulates in my experience. Mine is 200x80 cm, and I use an area of maybe 120x50 to work on, the rest gradually fills up with tools, half-built kits etc.

If you have to choose between workbench space and shelf space, I'd choose the shelves.

Weaver

Quote from: Hobbes on January 28, 2013, 08:05:35 AM
The deeper the workbench, the more crap accumulates in my experience. Mine is 200x80 cm, and I use an area of maybe 120x50 to work on, the rest gradually fills up with tools, half-built kits etc.

If you have to choose between workbench space and shelf space, I'd choose the shelves.

Yeah, one of the thoughts motivating my idea of a bench in the middle of the room is to reduce the amount of wall space it monopolises. If you looked at the plan view of the room, you'd say it was obvious to put it along 2/3 of a wall that has a window in the middle and another window at the end, but the problem in practice is that those windows have very low sills (about 500mm), and I know from experience that having a desk up against a low sill leads to the latter becoming a "black hole"....

Another approach would be to build the work top onto a couple of drawer units with castors on the bottom, so that I could push it up to the window or a rarely-used shelf area, then pull it back for access. Again, from experience, wheeled things end up being immobilised by piles of stuff on the floor, although of course, discipline and sufficient storage should prevent that (stop laughing at the back...)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

Quote from: Hobbes on January 28, 2013, 08:05:35 AM

Ones stuff always expands to fill all available space. Its related to Murphy's Law.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dork the kit slayer

My room changes from time to time but is usually the same basic set up. (This pic is from early last year)
I have a penchant for box art so there are a few classics awaiting to be framed then hung on the wall.
Its not usually as tidy.

Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

NARSES2

Dork, any particula reason for raising the cutting mat ? Short arms  :rolleyes: ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That's where the Carpet Monster hides when it's not eating those vital parts of his latest creation...........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 30, 2013, 07:02:02 AM
Dork, any particula reason for raising the cutting mat ? Short arms  :rolleyes: ?

No,only for the pic( its the only one I have access to at the moment.)
I did try it raised and it was good to store knives and tweezers when working and not bad to have "stuff" nearer,but I soon fell out with it.
Ill post the present "bench" in all its glory later.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/