Your workbench in full glory

Started by Eddie M., December 21, 2008, 06:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

The only thing to watch out for with plastic drawers is that you don't put anything in them which can generate fumes that might damage them: glues, thinners etc...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on August 13, 2009, 06:46:11 PM
The only thing to watch out for with plastic drawers is that you don't put anything in them which can generate fumes that might damage them: glues, thinners etc...

Guess how I learnt that one - also learnt to check the lid of the container was on properly  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Modelling_Mushi

OK, I'm seeing another trend here . . . I'm seeing noodle packets, sandwich plates, lunch baggies and (I believe) I think I saw a 1/2 eaten chicken wing in another post elsewhere - how many of use eat and model? I know that a fair slice  :cheers: and model (guess the wildest WIFFs come out that way) but how many gobble and glue? Me, I've got a semi-permanent stash of peanuts and have been known to be force fed during modelling marathons
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

seadude

I might have a package of cookies nearby or some other small snack, and also a bottle of Mt. Dew soda. Otherwise, I try not to eat at my building area too much.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Sauragnmon

Hmmm.... gummies and snacks under the esk, cookies to the left of the desk, noodles on the shelf... and some other stuff on the stash pile.  Then again, I essentially Live in my desk space, so of course I keep the food nearby.  That and I regularly keep a fully stocked fridge with a variety of pop for my drinking enjoyment within six feet as well.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

tigercat2

Here is my workbench with an in-progress A-10B (2 seater).  It is now configured in NMF with orange day glow panels as the test bird.

Wes W.

sequoiaranger

>...how many gobble and glue? Me, I've got a semi-permanent stash of peanuts and have been known to be force fed during modelling marathons<

I do not normally have any food around my workbench for the simple reason that, unless you have a ready servant to pop something in your mouth, you have to handle it yourself and risk (and I would say about 99% risk) getting salt, sugar, or oil on the same fingers that handle your plastic model upon which you expect paint to stick.

I have had the bad experience of having a treasured model suffer weird paint designs, contamination, and paint sloughing off from improperly-prepared surfaces (not unexpectedly, the shape of such spots was a small oval with ridges). I learned MY lesson. In other words, don't eat and model at the same time, unless you wash your hands like an OCD maniac after each incident of touching food. When I get a little hungry I take a break, which also serves to give my eyes a non-magnified rest as well (a two-fer), then cleanse my fingers again before resuming model work.

But don't let me be a killjoy--if snacking and modeling "float your boat" then by all means feed the cravings for both!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Silverfox

Here's my working space in my bedroom. Wish I had a bit more space! Some of the workbenches I've seen here have been amazing.

I'm stuck with this much space until I move out though.

Eddie M.

QuoteI do not normally have any food around my workbench for the simple reason that, unless you have a ready servant to pop something in your mouth, you have to handle it yourself and risk (and I would say about 99% risk) getting salt, sugar, or oil on the same fingers that handle your plastic model upon which you expect paint to stick.

That why I keep a dedicated pair of snack tweezers on or near the workdesk at all times. :lol:

QuoteWish I had a bit more space!

Silverfox,
   That's a pretty fair amount of work space you've got there. Even though I have more room, I don't work but in a space that big. The rest is for flotsom and jetsom. ;D
Look behind you!

sequoiaranger

I love it!  :wub:

I can just imagine a specialized set of such instruments, some with sponge tips for GENTLY grasping crisps, or an egg-cup-like device for cupping fruit while you nibble around the outside, or even vise-grip-like things that latch on to and hold, say, a sandwich by one corner, and you just pick it up by the grip! Or, I can imagine a turntable-like device with snacks around the perimeter protruding slightly over the edge, so that you can grasp something with your lips, then turn the turntable with your teeth to the next item for next time!

But then, you probably already have and use those sports-game hats with beer holders and flexible sipping tubes dangling from them!

Yes! Use our whiffery imagination to invent a full range of hands-free snack-dispensing hardware! We're on a roll, here!  :cheers:

If modelers weren't so stingy/frugal, there might be some money to be made designing and marketing such gadgets!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Weaver

Quote from: sequoiaranger on August 16, 2009, 09:48:56 AM
I love it!  :wub:

I can just imagine a specialized set of such instruments, some with sponge tips for GENTLY grasping crisps, or an egg-cup-like device for cupping fruit while you nibble around the outside, or even vise-grip-like things that latch on to and hold, say, a sandwich by one corner, and you just pick it up by the grip! Or, I can imagine a turntable-like device with snacks around the perimeter protruding slightly over the edge, so that you can grasp something with your lips, then turn the turntable with your teeth to the next item for next time!

But then, you probably already have and use those sports-game hats with beer holders and flexible sipping tubes dangling from them!

Yes! Use our whiffery imagination to invent a full range of hands-free snack-dispensing hardware! We're on a roll, here!  :cheers:

If modelers weren't so stingy/frugal, there might be some money to be made designing and marketing such gadgets!

LOL - hotdog/sausage roll holder like a giant lipstick tube....... ;D

Actually, the guys who make "space food" could do worse than market it to modellers: just bite the end of the tube off and squirt: hands need never touch the grease.....

Must admit, it's rare that I even have so much as a cup of tea on the bench: too much chance of dipping a paintbrush in it by mistake, or ending up drinking swarf. I find it difficult to concentrate for too long, so snack breaks are just one of many types of break I invoke all too frequently....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

OMG!!!  :o :o :o V-Messy workbench around 4pm. :( :( :(

That's Better!!!  Tidy workbench around 9pm. :) :) :)

I mostly work indoors these days on the dining table (or even the floor, but that's another story), bringing stuff back & forth.  I'm sure others are in the same boat, missus complains that while I'm in the garage, we're not spending time together, but if I bring the stuff indoors I'm making the place look messy! :rolleyes:  So the workbench has just steadilly got more & more stuff dumped on it.  The last time I had to bring my stuff back in the garage to clear the table for a barbeque, there was nowhere to put everything apart from right on top.  And I've been putting off the job of tidying it since (well, long before actually)!

Now I've tidied it I'm aware that I need to organise a lot of my crap.  I've bought a lot more crap since the last time I tidied (January last year!), hence the paints in plastic bags on the right.  I need a trip to get plenty of plastic boxy stacky thingmys.  That might help me keep it tidy!  I need to keep it clear for my next project as it'll be resin & I don't want to be spreading polyurethane dust all over the house.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

thedarkmaster

So mate just as the weather starts to turn cold your going to start to work in the garage !

I'm glad i don't have a garage and cannot be sent out to play in it  ;D  ;D  ;D though i do envey your space
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Mossie

I have a strange method to organisation, at work any space that I use with others is kept tidy.  My own desk, that I have no excuse to get others to tidy, is a Sh!t tip! :o

And out in the cold, I'm actually quite happy winters coming, the fresh air is stimulating! :blink:

Arse about face, I know! :lol:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Doc Yo

This is my space, such as it is... http://www.flickr.com/photos/29155073@N04/3903878613/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29155073@N04/3903878599/

You can see one of my almost finished builds for the "Floaty things" group build, Dr. Yo's Black Swordfish!*
in the middle of the bench...

and this is the main bench where most of the ( haha ) work gets done, or half done...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29155073@N04/3903878583/

Note: I tried using the 'insert image' control, but all that came up were the little boxes with the red x in
them. I confess considerable ignorance where computers are concerned, but I thought I was doing it right...
  :huh: Anyway, the links should work. enjoy.