RAR Leopard 2A6 WHIF

Started by barraxr8, November 19, 2008, 08:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

You know. For something without wings, that is seriously impressive!  :bow:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

barraxr8

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on January 15, 2009, 10:10:33 AM
Was at the LHS just the other day and they had a Hobby Boss Leopard 2A6EX and the AFV Club overhead weapons station. Took quite some mental strength to not buy those straight away and use the dozer assembly from a Trumpeter Chally 2...  :lol: ...such a cool project!  :bow:

Looking forward to seeing this in colour! :thumbsup:

G'day mate !

Yep this has been a lot of fun. Expensive, but well worth the money  :thumbsup:

I'm also looking forward to the paint. I have a few bits to add first  ;D

Cheers

Paul
OddBall: "It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers"

Kilgore: " I love the smell of napalm in the morning ...The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory."

The Bench:
ASLAV-25
Leopard 2A6 Aussie
Strv 122 (Kit Bash)

barraxr8

Quote from: JayBee on January 15, 2009, 10:19:27 AM
You know. For something without wings, that is seriously impressive!  :bow:

Thanks Jaybee.

I think the Camo & weathering will hopefuly make it look really good

:drink:

Cheers

Paul
OddBall: "It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers"

Kilgore: " I love the smell of napalm in the morning ...The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory."

The Bench:
ASLAV-25
Leopard 2A6 Aussie
Strv 122 (Kit Bash)

BlackOps

This is a real knockout of a build! Can't wait to see it get some paint  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

barraxr8

Quote from: BlackOps on January 15, 2009, 06:28:19 PM
This is a real knockout of a build! Can't wait to see it get some paint  :thumbsup:

Thanks Jeff !

The paint is not far away now - just a few things to sort out first  :banghead: 

Cheers mate

Paul

The Bench:
ASLAV-25
Leopard 2A6 Aussie
Strv 122 (Kit Bash)

barraxr8

Oh forgot to post pics of the 50 cal. Added a pintle mount and a Tasca 50 cal to the beast's commanders cupola  :bow:

Cheers

Paul

The Bench:
ASLAV-25
Leopard 2A6 Aussie
Strv 122 (Kit Bash)

John Howling Mouse

Thanks very much for the IP pics....I consider this to be an excellent learning opportunity.
I love armor models; just never sure exactly what order to build things in and when to paint parts versus assemblies, etc.
If you look at the kit instructions for aircraft, for example, we seldom build in exactly the order the mfg shows.
I guess it just comes with time.

Armor models look so cool in progress with the dissimilar aftermarket and scratchbuilt bits and pieces added on.

:thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

barraxr8

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on January 16, 2009, 07:54:47 PM
Thanks very much for the IP pics....I consider this to be an excellent learning opportunity.
I love armor models; just never sure exactly what order to build things in and when to paint parts versus assemblies, etc.
If you look at the kit instructions for aircraft, for example, we seldom build in exactly the order the mfg shows.
I guess it just comes with time.

Armor models look so cool in progress with the dissimilar aftermarket and scratchbuilt bits and pieces added on.

:thumbsup:

My pleasure John. This project has been a lot of fun  :party:

I think I'll do another a little later something similair to the Leopard PSO  :wub: but in Aussie Colors perhaps ?

Check this link out:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=syCbKoDYM54

Anyway I've updated the Pintle mount on the 50 cal to fix the balance point here are a couple of shots. A bit of cutting away resin and adding Evergreen Styrene fixed the problem. The gun is now mounted at it's balanced point.

I'll finish detailing the hull and post some pics before priming.

Edit: posted better pic

Cheers

Paul

The Bench:
ASLAV-25
Leopard 2A6 Aussie
Strv 122 (Kit Bash)

sudzonic

That is seriously impressive .................................................. :thumbsup:
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul!

barraxr8

Quote from: sudzonic on January 17, 2009, 02:42:38 AM
That is seriously impressive .................................................. :thumbsup:

Hey Scotty !

Fancy seeing you here  ;D

I'm hopeful of putting some Tamiya Primer on the hull tomorrow (fingers crossed  :wacko: )

Cheers

Paul

The Bench:
ASLAV-25
Leopard 2A6 Aussie
Strv 122 (Kit Bash)

sudzonic

Quote from: barraxr8 on January 17, 2009, 03:55:05 AM
Quote from: sudzonic on January 17, 2009, 02:42:38 AM

Hey Scotty !

Fancy seeing you here  ;D

I'm hopeful of putting some Tamiya Primer on the hull tomorrow (fingers crossed  :wacko: )

Cheers

Paul

Yeh what a suprise eh ;D. What you make of my first attemt at the cuda cam????
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul!

barraxr8

Quote from: sudzonic on January 17, 2009, 04:42:31 AM

Yeh what a suprise eh ;D. What you make of my first attemt at the cuda cam????

I think the pattern needs to be a bit straighter, and pulled apart a little more.

Cheers

Paul

The Bench:
ASLAV-25
Leopard 2A6 Aussie
Strv 122 (Kit Bash)

barraxr8

It's ready for priming  <_<

I'll add a few bits after it's painted and before weathering  :blink:

Tool, tow cables, gunners sight doors, commanders front vision block & periscope, and the 50 cal ammo box.

Stowage will follow when it's finished (helmets, tarps, ration boxes, maybe a backpacks and rifles too  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Paul

The Bench:
ASLAV-25
Leopard 2A6 Aussie
Strv 122 (Kit Bash)

John Howling Mouse

Those wheels and tracks look so heavy-duty metal and weathered now.  Do you brush paint or do you have to mask off all that fine wheel/track work for airbrushing?
If you could show some techniques for your painting of this fantastic piece, I'd really appreciate it (you'll convert me to modeling tanks yet!).   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

barraxr8

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on January 17, 2009, 07:59:08 PM
Those wheels and tracks look so heavy-duty metal and weathered now.  Do you brush paint or do you have to mask off all that fine wheel/track work for airbrushing?
If you could show some techniques for your painting of this fantastic piece, I'd really appreciate it (you'll convert me to modeling tanks yet!).   :thumbsup:

Hi John !

The wheels and tracks still need a little bit of a touch up (to make them consistant).

Pretty much everything is Air-brushed as a base, wheels, tyres, tracks etc. I use graphic stencils to mask off and paint the wheels after the tyres are done in Nato Black.

What I'll do is I'll put some photo's and some words around how I did those and post that in 'up' the next couple of days. It's all about technique and patience (no rocket science). I've learnt a lot from my modelling buddy in the US, and also from the Armorama forums. I was away from modelling for many years, but decided to get back into it for a bit of relaxation (not doing as much cycling, running or swimming these days  :rolleyes:).

I also use Mig pigments suspended in white spirit to get the dust on the wheels (via a small brush). I'll be doing the same on the hull and turret once the paint is on in the next few days.

Cheers

Paul

The Bench:
ASLAV-25
Leopard 2A6 Aussie
Strv 122 (Kit Bash)