Boxtop Irregularities

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 25, 2008, 01:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Was wondering if I'm the only modeler who notices such oddball stuff on model box covers.  Like the Testors F-18 boxtop with the showcase model missing one wheel.
Here is the common F-14D Super Tomcat box photo from Revell:

Look closely at the reflections in the puddles I've circled.  Clearly reflections from a completely different aircraft! Brighter, possibly even white and with high-viz insignia and "U.S. AIR FORCE" lettering.  Either it was in the background behind the Tomcat and edited out for clarity or I've once again uncovered proof of the F-14 being a cleverly constructed hoax by the APTB (American Powers That Be)!   ;D

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Amphion

;D I'm not saying your wrong about the APTB (I just love a good conspiracy theory), but it looks more like they edited out a background a/c. The reflection with the text is in line with the reflection of the nose wheel, unless it's a very odd looking a/c then it's not the one and same.

My bet is a T-38 Talon:

Amphion

B777LR

Theres an Airfix Bucaneer from a long time ago, that shows a Bucaneer landing on a flattop, in the midst of an attack from Japanese WWII fighters. The same artwork has also been released without the Zeroes ;D

ysi_maniac

It is clearly a conspiracy  :rolleyes:
Most of the people involved in creation of the YF-25 kit had died in odd circunstaces :wacko:
Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

Quote from: B777LR on December 26, 2008, 05:05:46 AM
Theres an Airfix Bucaneer from a long time ago, that shows a Bucaneer landing on a flattop, in the midst of an attack from Japanese WWII fighters. The same artwork has also been released without the Zeroes ;D

You don't mean this one do you Trip7:

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=9035&searchtext=Buccaneer
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on December 25, 2008, 01:45:26 PM
Was wondering if I'm the only modeler who notices such oddball stuff on model box covers.  Like the Testors F-18 boxtop with the showcase model missing one wheel.

Look closely at the reflections in the puddles I've circled.  Clearly reflections from a completely different aircraft! Brighter, possibly even white and with high-viz insignia and "U.S. AIR FORCE" lettering.  Either it was in the background behind the Tomcat and edited out for clarity or I've once again uncovered proof of the F-14 being a cleverly constructed hoax by the APTB (American Powers That Be)!   ;D

I don't think what you're seeing is actually lettering Barry, looking at photos of the underside of F-14's these appear to me to be attachment points for the Phoenix missile pallets which protude right up and a little forward and on each side of the front u/c bay.  The angle in which the photo was taken would reflect in the puddle a bit off center to the wheel as it's higher up.

matrixone

One boxtop irregularity I spotted recently is the painting of the Opel Blitz fuel truck on the cover of the 1/72 scale Academy WWII Ground vehicle set, the painting shows the fenders for the rear wheels in place while the kit has no rear fenders in the instructions or sprues.

Matrixone

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 26, 2008, 08:46:57 AM

I don't think what you're seeing is actually lettering Barry, looking at photos of the underside of F-14's these appear to me to be attachment points for the Phoenix missile pallets which protude right up and a little forward and on each side of the front u/c bay.  The angle in which the photo was taken would reflect in the puddle a bit off center to the wheel as it's higher up.

Nope, you can clearly read the entire text: "U.S. AIR FORCE" reflected upside-down in the water as well as make out the USAF insignia.  I agree with Amphion that it's a Talon. Was likely taken at an airshow's static display or something.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

kitnut617

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on December 26, 2008, 10:05:46 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on December 26, 2008, 08:46:57 AM

Nope, you can clearly read the entire text: "U.S. AIR FORCE" reflected upside-down in the water as well as make out the USAF insignia.  I agree with Amphion that it's a Talon. Was likely taken at an airshow's static display or something.

Yes I see now, and if you look at your blown up pic with the highlight circle I can see in the puddle just below, another circle with a dot in the middle, this does look like the circle and dot at the top of the T-38 fuselage.

GTX

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 26, 2008, 08:14:31 AM

Cool - a Royal Navy version of "The Final Countdown".

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

B777LR

Quote from: GTX on December 26, 2008, 10:52:18 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on December 26, 2008, 08:14:31 AM

Regards,

Greg

About time they made a sequel, isnt it?

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on December 26, 2008, 10:52:18 AM

Regards,

Greg

Makes you wonder if this is where the writers for Final Countdown got the idea  :blink:

Captain Canada

Wow...great thread, Baz ! It's got me wondering myself....might have to go dig thru the stash !

My favourite boxtop ever was the Hasegawa ? Fencer flying low past HMS Invincinble ( or the other carrier ) It's a beautiful painting, but my LHS guy ( modelshop Dave ) says it's an irregulare in itself, as there's no way a Russian aeroplane would get that close to a RN carreir without being shot down !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?