MASHATU Huey

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 25, 2008, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

"practice makes perfect"

That's what I keep on telling the missus. She wants a kid.

pyro-manic

Weapons-wise, how about a couple of GMGs/Mk.19s - they'd be ideal for heavy-hitting part of the load-out, maybe along with a .50. Alternatively, seeing as this is in the future, what about an XM307-type weapon?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

John Howling Mouse

Holy Arsenal, Batman---that XM307 makes Rambo's RPG's look like tin-plated toys.

Hmmmmm....
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

grayman

Hi folks,

Just an errant thought...rather than the Huey-gunship look, how about something a bit more colonial...I'm thinking one or two water-cooled vickers MMGs (keeping in mind their use into the 1970's/80's, particularly in Africa), and perhaps a 0.30-cal M1919, bren, lewis gun, VGO or RPD on a flexible mount.

Taking this a touch further, what about a jury-rigged cluster of RPGs as the air-to-ground missile package?  :blink:
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open -- General Sir Michael Dewar.

Weaver

Like the idea of this one JHM - watching it with interest.

On armament, I agree with most of the others on the need for .50 cal to provide some stand-off vs the poachers AKMs. There are any number of podded .50 cal MGs on the market, all of which will go on the Huey in place of the rocket pods. Some of them even include up to six 2.75" rockets, either in integral tubes or in an external pack under the pod (RPs are useful for firing illumination or smoke rounds, even if you don't want to tear up the scenery with HE).

FFV Unipod: 1 x .50cal
FN ETNA pod: 1 x .50cal plus 4 x 70mm external RPs
AEREA Multi-task pod: 1 x .50cal plus 6 x 70mm internal RPs
There's at least one pod with 2 x .50cals in it, but I can't find the name of it.

Some info: http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=311

I like Sotoolslinger's idea of a Barret on the door mount: you could have it on a fancy stabilised , anti-vibration mounting for accurate "heli-sniping".
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

He's got a point, Weaver does - flare and smoke rockets would serve to be quite handy when you're putting a stop to poachers.

Stabilized door-barret would be pretty damn cool, but I don't know where you'd get a nice gyrostabilized movie projector mounting like that.

XM-307 would be pretty damn cool as well - I saw that thing on futureweapons, it's just insane.  You can actually set it to a timed-fuse mode where it basically works like a flak cannon and the rangefinder sets the round's timer to detonate a distance you set off the backdrop.  Set it up to detonate three or four feet off the ground, you're hitting all the juicy parts of your targets from a helo mounting.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sotoolslinger

Yeah you got to mock up the 307 it looked really cool on Future Weapons. ;D :wacko: If your going to do door mounted Barretts hang em from the ceiling with an armature  :wacko:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

nev

Quote from: sotoolslinger on December 26, 2008, 12:49:39 PM
Poachers run around in small,crap vehicles

That was until the poacher/gamekeeper arms race started....
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

B777LR

Quote from: nev on December 28, 2008, 04:35:10 AM

Actually, when i lived in Tanzania, some Arabic king/prince came by a bit too often with 2 C-130s, a 747 and some Jeeps, and went hunting... (that was legal though)

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: nev on December 28, 2008, 04:35:10 AM

Yep, exactly the plot of my backstory.  Some wacky rich people out there who end up paying *anything* for live game animals they can show off within their celebrity grounds.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

B*gger - At work so cannot see the pics :banghead:

B*gger

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Now I can see the pics....... and I like it !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

John Howling Mouse

It's coming along...slowly.  Into the small bits so far this weekend, the little stuff that might not even show when it's done but at least you guys will have seen it.
Ammo box:

And a scratchbuilt spotlight that took several hours.  Made mostly of throw-away bits, here it is unpainted:

Then, painted and weathered:

John Howling Mouse

Oops, we're on a new page now?  Go back a page to see other stuff.  Haven't yet figured out my software's re-sizing settings yet.

Anyhow, can't have an anti-poaching helo without some nasty firepower.  The unpainted collection of bits and pieces (heck, even I don't know where half of them came from):

And, painted.  Stupid camera with a bazillion megapixies, shows every bit of dust and flaw, etc.  I blame the camera.
Yeah, I know, the belt-feed chutes are admittedly hokey: just some laminated layers of aluminum tape that I grooved and painted over with a wash afterward.  They'll do.

Some doors and skid-mounted guns too:

Eddie M.

Sweet! I like how you made your ammo feed belts. ;D
Look behind you!