Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

That would be this one:

These are also interesting:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

nev

Y'know Terry was meant to be building a diorama of the cover for A Matter Of Life And Death....musta fallen by the wayside :(
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

Wow, some serious problems arising with this one. Basically, 90% of what has gone wrong is my own fault and I certainly knew better.  The fit of the windscreen/roof to the fuselage was horrible and I PSR'd that as best I could.  So, maybe that wasn't my fault.

First dumb mistake: I attached the engine nacelles to their wings before they were painted.   :banghead:  Don't know what I was thinking.  Either way, you're screwed, masking-wise, if you do this.  Then, I painted the wings/nacelles and stabs using Tamiya silver as a basecoat.  In my feeble mind, airliners wings are aluminum so I paint them that way.
For some strange reason, I wasn't thinking about compatibility when I started brushpainting the handmixed Polly Scale (acrylic) paint on the nacelles.  I think I was too focused on getting the shade of blue to match at least some of the photos I've seen of the real aircraft.  The second the brush touched the silver of the nacelle, the dip-switch in my head finally clicked and the ticker-tape behind my eyes said "Isn't acrylic over lacquer usually a bad thing?"  But it was too late.  Figured I may as well finish the blue brushed on paint.  With two coats, the blue acrylic wasn't too bad, actually.   After it had dried, I later went to brush on Future and it immediately repelled away from the Polly-Scale blue paint.  Very weird.  Never saw that on acrylic before.  Could it be the lacquer underneath the two acrylic coats?  I've tried to gently sand that off and re-do with Acryl clear gloss with mixed results.  By "mixed results," I mean it looks like some five-year-old smeared pancake syrup on my engine nacelles.

Oh, and the wings?  I didn't realize that there are actual FS colors that work nicely for the corroguard walkways vs the rest of the wings so the Tamiya silver spray lacquer I used is a pretty inaccurate shade.  Because Tamiya spray lacquer is a unique beast, I better stick with that brand for the two tones of the wings and stabs, now.  Don't think they have the right colors in their spray lacquer line, though. 

The red Bondo putty I used on the white plastic fuselage stands out like a sore thumb. I realized that when I used it but figured the white primer I employ would quickly cover up the dark putty.  Nine coats in and the primer is still a bit visible through the white paint.  Yeah, I know: should have sprayed a light grey or even silver basecoat first to help hide the putty's color. Aw, man, maybe I should buy another kit and start over on the wings at least.

"Momma always said 'Life's like a box of choklits' "   :banghead:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

Ouch! Anyone else think JHM is just out of practice ;D

Maybe you should take a break from the Edforce One and work on your anti-poaching helo.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

PR19_Kit

John,

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 23, 2009, 07:00:23 PM
Oh, and the wings?  I didn't realize that there are actual FS colors that work nicely for the corroguard walkways vs the rest of the wings so the Tamiya silver spray lacquer I used is a pretty inaccurate shade.  Because Tamiya spray lacquer is a unique beast, I better stick with that brand for the two tones of the wings and stabs, now.  Don't think they have the right colors in their spray lacquer line, though. 

You can get shaped decals for the Corrogard panels on a 757. In that size it's just about possible to apply them in one piece. 747s etc are a tad large and really need cutting in parts first
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Know how your feeling Baz, this is a very similar story to the one I've had with my Tunnan.  I'm ditiching it & I might start another sometime down the line.  Maybe you can do the same & do something Baztastic with the parts from this one???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: BlackOps on February 23, 2009, 07:12:31 PM

Maybe you should take a break from the Edforce One and work on your anti-poaching helo.

Ha, little do you know: the anti-poaching helo has been DONE...for over a month now!  And I'm actually quite pleased with it for a first serious helo.  And so is another subject about which I've given no hints to on this forum.  Just working on a new diorama for (hopefully) much improved photographs to share with you all.

Mossie: I'm considering buying another kit of this model.  I've come so far and did so much PSR but simply made some dumb mistakes.  The fuselage is okay, it's just the engine nacelles. 

B787 suggested removing them but, when I glue parts on, the bonds are usually stronger than the plastic around them!

PR19_kit:  Thanks, I'll look into that.  I had masked the panels off but the paints I chose are not very accurate.  I suppose it's a clear case of: "You can take the modeler our of What If but you can't take What If out of the modeler..."

BlackOps

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 24, 2009, 07:57:39 PM
Ha, little do you know: the anti-poaching helo has been DONE...for over a month now!  And I'm actually quite pleased with it for a first serious helo.  And so is another subject about which I've given no hints to on this forum.  Just working on a new diorama for (hopefully) much improved photographs to share with you all.

:thumbsup:  I'll let it slide this time but if those pics don't materialize soon were are going to make you bunk with Radish!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Brian da Basher

I feel your pain, Mr Howling Mouse, but if anyone can adapt, improvise and overcome it's YOU! I don't think there's been a kit made yet that could beat the imfamous Man-Ho!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

PR19_Kit

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 24, 2009, 07:57:39 PM
PR19_kit:  Thanks, I'll look into that.  I had masked the panels off but the paints I chose are not very accurate.  I suppose it's a clear case of: "You can take the modeler our of What If but you can't take What If out of the modeler..."

JHM,

Needless to say, 757 Corograd sheets are the rarest on the planet, but try product no. SL44-010 by Scaleliner Decals on the AHS site at $9.95.

Amazingly AHS also list a Corogard paint, which I've not heard of before now. That's by Xtracolor, product X331 at $2.25, but you have to buy at least one kit with it, presumably so they can pack it properly.

AHS are at http://www.airline-hobby.com/shop/ and tell Russell that Kit sent you..... :)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

John Howling Mouse

Thanks guys.  For fun, I hit the two-tone paint on the stabs with Tamiya clear flat spray.  It is not accurate but it sure is interesting----the shades between the two seem to exchange places as you turn the part around in the light, just like real aircraft look when they pass by.

Hmmmm....

nev

I think Twobobs stock Xtracolour/Xtracrylics in the states.

Nev (who's off to youtube to listen to IM whilst browsing the site....oooh Fear of the Dark live  :banghead:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

So, per my comments above, wanna see just how bad a paintjob can get?  Not the front intake lips, either---I was going to do those properly masked off later.  This is the
gummed up clearcoat that went horribly wrong.

Yep, it gets even worse as you look closer:

EeeeeYUCK!

Mossie

Maybe try taking it off with oven cleaner?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.