Iron Maiden's ED FORCE ONE 757

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 25, 2008, 02:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imatt88

MAIDEN RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D 

Drove 9 hours last June to see them in Chicago.   Awesome show :bow:

Into the Valley of Death rode the six hundred....

Cannon to the right of them, cannon to the left of them...

Volley on thundered...................THE TROOPER

I can hardly wait to see this one finished... :thumbsup:

Cheers,                Ian

PR19_Kit

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on March 01, 2009, 11:50:27 AM
So, per my comments above, wanna see just how bad a paintjob can get?  Not the front intake lips, either---I was going to do those properly masked off later.  This is the
gummed up clearcoat that went horribly wrong.

Ouch! I hate it when that happens.....  :banghead:

So is it time for sanding back to raw styrene and starting over, or what? The only thing worse than that in modelling is having to repair a model after it's been trashed by some clumsy gawp at a show. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 01, 2009, 12:53:14 PM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on March 01, 2009, 11:50:27 AM
So, per my comments above, wanna see just how bad a paintjob can get?  Not the front intake lips, either---I was going to do those properly masked off later.  This is the
gummed up clearcoat that went horribly wrong.

Ouch! I hate it when that happens.....  :banghead:

So is it time for sanding back to raw styrene and starting over, or what? The only thing worse than that in modelling is having to repair a model after it's been trashed by some clumsy gawp at a show. :(

I think a serious modeler would start over with a fresh kit.  Me?  I polished out the gummie parts as best I could and clearcoated it with Tamiya liquid clear from the bottle.  Not bad but certainly wouldn't win any awards.  The nacelles and wings are masked and ready for painting.  I realized at the last second that the engine pylons have a very noticeable seam running along their upper edge.  Looks terrible so I'm PSRing that on a painted model.  Sometimes, I amaze even myself (and not in a good way)   :banghead:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Well, I hit the grey of the wing with a light dusting of Tamiya matte white lacquer and whaddayaknow?  It looks pretty darn authentic!

I then removed the tape from the Coroguard sections and hit them with Tamiya flat clear lacquer. These areas were originally painted in one of Tamiya's many silver lacquers.  Now, with the clear dullcoat over the silver, they look pretty realistic, too.  I've usually found that the decals and paints you can get to imitate Coroguard usually end up with a model looking more like a toy than a real aircraft that's been exposed to mechanics' boots, etc.  Just my own humble opinion but I don't want this thing to end up looking like a 1:144 scale version of a Herpa toy.

Oh, and our own Jennings posted a bit on Coroguard (mainly his rant about people misspelling the tradename but there were some good firsthand responses which revealed further observations from people who actually walk on the wings of civil aircraft): http://www.airlinercafe.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=4342

I've pencilled in some hints of panel lines and the splits between moving surfaces----looks not too bad for a first civvie model.  But I've read a couple of reviews about how bad this kit is and I'm not looking forward to mounting the wings.  The fuselage wing mount is apparently molded in higher on one side than the other.  Nice...  :banghead:

John Howling Mouse

Here's some pics re: the wing re-paint.  There's a lot of images so you can see the way the two tones interact depending on their angle to the light.  Sometimes, there is no contrast, other times the Coroguard seems lighter or darker than the rest.  I've penciled in some panel lines and separations between moving surfaces and dirtied it all up just the smallest bit.

sotoolslinger

AH Barry , you are the king of NMF :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

I penciled in a hint of panel lines and door/access panel perimeters, too; then glosscoated with Future in preparation for the Iron Maiden decals.  That nose sure looks terrible, even after all the PSR trying to blend in the mismatched join between Minicraft's fuselage and the clear windscreen insert.  I've considered just saying the heck with the clear windows and redoing the entire front end, using decals for the windscreen panels later.  I'm pretty sure I'd mess it up even more, though.  

The tail will be completely covered with the Eddie decal but I still pencilled in some lines there, too (habit).

PR19_Kit

JHM,

You're not the only modeller to have problems with the Minicraft clear cockpit insert fitment.

Pretty much everyone who's built one has similar problems. When I built my BA 757 I puttied in the gaps and dents, sanded smooth and went the decal cockpit windows route, it's not as if there's a highly detailed panel etc. in there.

Magic work on the Corogard panels BTW, that looks the business!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

B777LR

:wub: :wub: :wub:

That looks really great! Now to whiff it, add a pair of blended winglets, and you have the coolest 757 around! :thumbsup: I must get a 757....

Mossie

Wings look good Baz.  Sorry to hear about the nose & windscreen problems, this one is having more than it's fair share. :(
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

John Howling Mouse

Not only an airline cheatline decal, which is enough fun to begin with, but an aftermarket decal at that.  Some panicky moments while applying them (too worried to even cuss out loud) but some of the main decals are now on.

I should not have pencilled in the doors as the decal's various doortrims do not match the engraved doors' locations or sizes on the model itself very well.  Too late.

Ahhh, now to do the port side as well.  Oh boy....

I had ordered two more of these kits as I thought I could do a better job with a fresh one but Squadron sent a pair of incorrect kits (first mistake I've had in over 30 Squadron orders, too).  Man, this thing is jinxed.  Anyone ever watch "Supernatural"?  The episode about good vs bad luck where poor, bad-luck-jinxed Sam is relegated to sitting on a chair in the middle of a hotel room.  Not allowed to do or touch anything, he is just sitting there, watching one of the walls when the a/c unit there suddenly sparks into flame on its own accord and he sighs "Aw, c'mon...I didn't even..."

....that's how this model feels to me at this point.   :rolleyes:   :lol:

sotoolslinger

Man Baz ,for the crap luck you have had with this build you have really made a good looking AC. Can't wait for the next update :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
I amuse me.

GTX

No comment really - just an excuse to use this smiley:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

John Howling Mouse

Now, there's a cool Squadron Insignia, GTX!

Port decals are all done.  Not perfect but acceptable.  I sure do have renewed respect for airline modelers!

sotoolslinger

Quote from: GTX on April 04, 2009, 02:47:54 PM
No comment really - just an excuse to use this smiley:

Regards,

Greg
That will be going on the Firefly....THANKS :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
I amuse me.