Main Menu

General question

Started by PR19_Kit, December 27, 2008, 03:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gary on December 28, 2008, 11:44:12 AM
Next you'll be saying you live in Halifax and just want to clear out space for your odd sock collection!

Er no, a LOT further south than that. Lydney in Gloucestershire to be correct, and I have nowhere NEAR donkey many socks as I have decals and kits....... :)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 28, 2008, 05:23:05 AM
Narses,

I hadn't thought of the historical aspect but you're dead right there I suppose. Perhaps I should open a museum instead?  :lol:

The shame of it is that some of this stuff should be in some form of museum or at least an archive somewhere. The Science Museum in London uses some old kits in it's "How we used to live" exhibits and the "Museum of Childhood" also has some. Problem is the space.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gary

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 28, 2008, 02:51:15 PM
Quote from: Gary on December 28, 2008, 11:44:12 AM
Next you'll be saying you live in Halifax and just want to clear out space for your odd sock collection!

Er no, a LOT further south than that. Lydney in Gloucestershire to be correct, and I have nowhere NEAR arse many socks as I have decals and kits....... :)

I didn't know there was a Lydney in Nova Scotia...

Canada that is.
Getting back into modeling

PR19_Kit

In the 'Solent Sky Museum' in Southampton, besides the wild collection of aircraft (where else could you see a Saunders-Roe SRA1 flying boat jet fighter, a Scimtar F1 and gain access to the cockpit of a Short Solent flying boat, all within yards of each other?) they have a replica 1950-60s model shop. The window is packed with early model kits, Frog, Airfix, some Revell etc. plus some flying model stuff as well. (The Frog Mk V fighter there used to be mine...)

What we need is a 1970-80s equivalent of that. Perhaps we should start a campaign somewhere?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gary on December 29, 2008, 06:40:01 AM
I didn't know there was a Lydney in Nova Scotia...

Canada that is.

Ah, if it's THAT Halifax, Lydney is probably north of you, albeit a tad east. Today it may be just as cold though!  :o

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: B777LR on December 28, 2008, 07:35:00 AMLast time Rat got hold of 1000 unbuilt kits, he sent them off to Afganistan onboard a C-17 :banghead:

On no, that was Gary with his Kits for Kandahar project, and a damned fine effort it was too! At the time I was so skint I couldn't contribute anything, there was no money and my stash was inaccessible. Still getting guilt pangs.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

elmayerle

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 28, 2008, 05:23:05 AM
Narses,

I hadn't thought of the historical aspect but you're dead right there I suppose. Perhaps I should open a museum instead?  :lol:

I've been doing some more digging this morning and found things a) that I never knew I had and b) I never even knew existed, even though I've obviously bought them at some stage!.

Did you know that Modeldecal made injected styrene conversions for the SHAR FRS1 and the Harrier T2, both designed to work with the Airfix GR1? The T2 is the best way of doing this I've ever seen, but who needs an FRS1 conversion now?

I also have a Merlin Huck Starter in white metal, for crying out loud! I've only ever built one biplane in my whole life so why would I have bought that????

As for selling on eBay, that's the last resort I think, buying there is OK, selling's a whole new ballgame for me.

Well, I can't speak for everyone, b I do remember those conversions from when they first came out and I'd be quite willing to purchase both.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

PR19_Kit

Elmayerle,

You're welcome to the SHAR conversion but the T2 is not on the 'for sale' list I'm afraid. It make a much better 2 seat Harrier than the Heller Bobcat kit so it's staying here, sorry.

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 27, 2008, 03:26:44 PM
In 'The Loft' I have a VAST collection of all sorts of stuff, kits, vacforms, conversion kits, partly completed kits, partly completed kits......
The question is, is there a market for vacform, resin, or any other form of conversion kit for aircraft ?

Is it worth making a proper list of these (it could go on and on.......) or should I just trash the lot?

Make a full list with prices as an Excel spreadsheet. Get this hosted on a friendly website.
Advertise the link to the list on sites like What-If, ARC, IPMS, Britmodeller, Airfix, Modelling Madness, Hyperscale etc.
Sit back and watch the buyers roll in.
You may want to open a special email address just for this if you have as much as you say! :mellow:

PR19_Kit

Actually Nick it's lots of hard work doing it by mail. :(

The sheer aggravation of boxing the stuff up and hauling it down to the PO to get a postage cost (their tables always show too high a price....) takes up hours and hours that I could well use on other things.

Any more of my sale items are going to be sold personally at shows etc., far less hassle to my mind.

Regards
Kit

elmayerle

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 30, 2008, 12:58:07 AM
Elmayerle,

You're welcome to the SHAR conversion but the T2 is not on the 'for sale' list I'm afraid. It make a much better 2 seat Harrier than the Heller Bobcat kit so it's staying here, sorry.

Understood and appreciated.  Umm, any chance of getting a resin copy or two?  I'm using the Heller kit for some whif conversions but I'd like a good conversion, too.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin