Martin XB-51 (aka Gilbert XF120)

Started by Hman, December 28, 2008, 10:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Would love to do a 72nd scale version in SEA markings during the Vietnam War.  Think Mav did a profile of it and several other possibilities.

Wonder if it could have evolved into the EB-51 much as the B-57 did.  My Dad worked with them with the 4677th (later 17th) DSES at Westover and Malmstrom.  The Canberra has long been on my list of favorites.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

rallymodeller

I believe the XB-51 was better at low level with it's high wing loading and faster overall, but the Canberra had a higher ceiling, was already available, and seemed to have more room for growth. Of the aircraft in competition with the Canberra (B-45, AJ-2 Savage, CF-100 Mk.2, XB-51) only the XB-51 was not in or slated for production at the time.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 30, 2009, 12:51:03 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 30, 2009, 09:26:36 AM
It's a joke, Son... I say... I say... a joke.

The Jetliner is the only jet airliner that was actually named Jetliner.
Do ya get it now?

Son? Hardly..........

Yes, I know the point that was being made, but I'm taking the opportunity to get back at Boeing in particular and American aviation historians in general for (probably deliberately....) getting it wrong for the last umpteen years.

And with big letters like that no-one's going to miss it!

I'll treat the 'Packard' V-1650 with the contempt it deserves as well......

Personally I've not seen Boeing nor American aviation historians claim that the 707 was the first commercial jet transport.
Sloppy journalists and television documentary writers, yes... historians? No.

Speaking of Packard engines and irritating statements, one of my pet peeves is when people state
that WWII PT Boats were powered by Packard Merlins.  :banghead:
The Packard 4M-2500 had nada to do with the Merlin and was a continuation of Packard V-12
designs going back to the '20s.

Son... I say Son   ;D

kitnut617

Quote from: philp on January 30, 2009, 05:12:15 PM
Would love to do a 72nd scale version in SEA markings during the Vietnam War.

The Anigrand kit isn't too bad, just needs some careful line up of some parts like joining the fuselage bits. I'll have to complete the one I started someday.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike