"I ignore your one week GB and substitute my own." - PW

Started by puddingwrestler, December 29, 2008, 06:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

nev

That is some awesome work - you really should just put up an IP thread here ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

cthulhu77

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Mossie

Wow, quick work!  With your rocky outcrop, rather than the cork bark you could simply apply liquid poly to the expanded styrene.  The poly attacks the styrene & pitts it irregularly making a very convincing rocky cliff.  Might be easier to paint than the cork?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

Cool stuff PW.  I even went through and looked at some of your other stuff there.

Couple questions.
You are just using foam board for the walls.  Have you ever tried balsa foam?  I can't seem to find it but seen some cool stuff done with it.

Second, how are you putting the stuff together?  White glue, hot glue?

Buddy of mine in our club uses redwood bark for rock formations.  He especially likes the weathered kind that he finds in his neighbors yards (um, not really).  Have to see if I can get a pic up.

I have a project idea you may be able to help with.  Will PM you.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

puddingwrestler

I've never even heard of balsa foam! You have to bear in mind that I live in a country town in Australia - the craft shop here stocks Foam Core and balsa wood, so I use those :lol:

I'm using a hot glue gun for major structural joints in the foam core, PVA (white glue) to attach any polystyrene becazuse the heat of the glue tend to melt that, and super glue to attach details.

The cork bark is something I wanted to try. I scored some off a mate and never had anything to use it on. I've thought to the industrial thinners vs styrene method, but I don't fancy the chemical fumes involved... Plus I'd have to buy something suitably industrial. Which means money.

And Nev; what's an IP thread?

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: puddingwrestler on December 30, 2008, 01:45:27 PMI've never even heard of balsa foam! You have to bear in mind that I live in a country town in Australia - the craft shop here stocks Foam Core and balsa wood

PW,

The balsa foam is also known as tooling board among other things.  Here are links to two types that you might find of interest:

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

John Howling Mouse

PW, you will absolutely LOVE working with foam board.  In fact, if you have access to a vacforming machine, you may never have to buy another model again!
Only thing with this stuff is that some brands don't hold up very well and can deteriorate simply from being exposed to air.  Not a problem if you intend to seal whatever you shape with some form of paint, etc.

"IP" means "In Progress" btw.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

retro_seventies

JHM speaks the truth (but we knew that already) - foam board is GREAT.  We use it for all kinds of things at the zoo, for 3D graphic projects, and also for 1:1 moulding and casting projects.  At the moment we are using some to cast inserts for our new octopus exhibit.  Great stuff. 

For rocks - have you tried a spray adhesive (something like 3M's super 77) and kitty litter?  When it's stuck dowen, seal it with a rattlecan, and then dry bush with highlight colors - really simple and effective.  There's also lots to be said or mooching around a builders supply yard and picking up a couple of small (thumb sized) pieces of limestone.

I loved making 40k scenery, and i'm really enjoying your build - PLEASE post IP pics!

Ben
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

puddingwrestler

Just thought I should mentionupdates!
Featuring this... you'll just have to follow the link to find out what it is. :lol:

retro_seventies

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

puddingwrestler

Mossie

A weeks work, good job!  :bow:  I like the tracking station particularly. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.