My Stash just grew again (2009)

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 01, 2009, 02:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Dragon

Got an Airfix MBB Bo105 delivered from KitBox in Whitley Bay today. Thanks to Baz For the heads up!  :cheers:

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Weaver

Quote from: Sauragnmon on September 12, 2009, 09:27:32 AM
Weaver - you could also use the Mk10 twin-arm launchers off the '42 sprue - a little scratchbuilding to the structure or the cheese wedges on the deck and you have the reload hatches to sling missiles up onto the arms for firing.  The catch 22 of the old Sea Dart magazine is that it's Short by comparison, but if you reworked the magazine, ostensibly you could fit a Mk26 in as well if you modified the way it's reloaded - the 26 is fed off a long track that runs down the center belowdecks which would make it a pain.

Neither would work:

The Mk.10's horizontal magazine drums are HUGE: it was designed for Terrier which was twice as long as Sea Dart and each drum holds 22 rounds which is equal to a Type-42's total Sea Dart capacity. The Type-42 is tight as a drum anyway, so I seriously doubt you could find FOUR TIMES the magazine volume.

The Mk.26's vertical conveyor magazine is better, but it's still long. Sea Dart has a large, single vertical drum magazine which feeds round to a handling room just below the launcher. This is not far removed, geometrically speaking, from the Mk.11/Mk.13 setup, and of course, the Mk.13 is better due to it's lower weight and high fire rate.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

The Mk10's horizontal magazines would allow it to use the Standard ER missiles, or Standard MR in a more fitting system - remember, early Standards were used on Mk10 launchers as well - a smaller magazine is always a possibility.

Mk26's magazine is long, but narrow - only four missiles wide.  Alternately, the launcher in itself could be fed from an alternate design magazine feed system with the tracks set at a curve for a double drum effect to feed in line to the launcher.

The Mk13 is a nice launcher for its storage quantity, well and true, but in an engagement scenario, I'm not entirely sure I would choose the 13 for a DDG mounting.  But, it's your project, go where you want with it.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

Quote from: Sauragnmon on September 12, 2009, 01:26:21 PM
The Mk10's horizontal magazines would allow it to use the Standard ER missiles, or Standard MR in a more fitting system - remember, early Standards were used on Mk10 launchers as well - a smaller magazine is always a possibility.

That's because SM-1ER is the same length as Terrier. The horizontal magazine rings in the Mk.10 delivered their rounds to a handling room where rating fastened the booster wings on manually, before the round was slid out to the launcher on an overhead monorail. Since Tartar/SM-1MR didn't have these large fins, there'd be no point in having the handling room, but you'd still need something there to take the missiles from the horizontal position to the sloping position needed for loading. Of course, you could make the mag rings shorter, completely change the loading system and/or have the launcher re-load in a horizontal position, but then there wouldn't be much of the original Mk.10 left.....

Mk26's magazine is long, but narrow - only four missiles wide.  Alternately, the launcher in itself could be fed from an alternate design magazine feed system with the tracks set at a curve for a double drum effect to feed in line to the launcher.

Yes, that's true: since the Mk.26 magazine is essentially a conveyor belt, you could bend/fold the path into a different shape.

QuoteThe Mk13 is a nice launcher for its storage quantity, well and true, but in an engagement scenario, I'm not entirely sure I would choose the 13 for a DDG mounting.  But, it's your project, go where you want with it.

The Mk.13 was specifically designed for destroyer applications - look at where I'd be getting it from! It might only have one launch arm, but it's light, has low moments of inertia, and a innovative way of moving both the missiles and the launcher to reduce loading time. The result is a RoF of nearly 8 RPM, which is better than any other twin-arm launcher except the Mk.26. Tartar was originally developed, in part, in response to a request from the Royal Navy who then didn't buy it,  so it's a very credible whiff to imagine that they did, and then subsequently upgraded to SM-1MR.

Actually, thinking about it, the best thing would have been if the RN had adopted Tartar and the Mk.13 launcher to go with it, but then developed Sea Dart as a direct replacement for it, the ramjet giving Terrier range in a Tartar-sized weapon. 40 Sea Darts in a compact Mk.13 launcher is an interesting thought.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

JJC

italeri- 1/48 F-117
          1/48 F-19

revell- 1/48 harrier GR.7/9
KEEP THE VULCAN FLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scooterman

From the Ft. Worth Show

1/72 AM RQ-1A Predator
1/72 Matchbox PB4Y-2 Privateer
1/72 Hasey Weapons 9
1/48 Fujimi Mitsu F-1
1/48 Airfix F.3 Tornado
1/48 Revell Rafale M

Oh and Army of Darkness on DVD for $3!!! ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sentinel Chicken

His glee with getting Army of Darkness for only $3 was down right eerie.

Scooterman

Yeah, but it was only three dollars!   ;D

Howard of Effingham

this morning....

1/72 Revell - Monogram X-15
1/72 Revell - Monogram EF-111A [a kit with way too much flash on quite a few of the parts]

the X-15 is highly likely to get 'raseberry ripple' colors.  :wacko:
Keeper of George the Cat.

Aircav

Via the man with the red van, a SA330 Puma and a Alouette III, both Heller and both 1/72  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Martin H

from Hannants. and more because it was needed so that they would deliver the paints i wanted off them (they wont send paints throu the post unless they are with a kit)....one Italeri F-4S...this ones going into deep storage in the stash
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

ChernayaAkula

Got an Italeri 1/72 V-22 Osprey in the mail today. Will be kit-bashed with an AH-64 forward fuselage. Maybe Japanese camo as per Mav's profile, but I'm not sure.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

AeroplaneDriver

Couple of recent eBay arrivals...

1/72 Italeri Tornado F.3
1/72 Hase Tornado F.3
1/72 Hase EA-6B Prowler
1/72 Matchbox Red Arrows Gnat

Also on the horizon is another P.1083 conversion from Freightdog, though Colin emailed to say they were sold out, but would be back in stock soon.  Cant wait!!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Quote from: Martin H on September 14, 2009, 12:22:15 PM
from Hannants. and more because it was needed so that they would deliver the paints i wanted off them (they wont send paints throu the post unless they are with a kit)....

I don't understand that Martin. I know they quote Postal Reg's but others are quite happy to post paints on there own - White Ensign in particular and they are enamels ! It can get frustrating I admit. I think I can hang on until Telford for a restock - I hope !
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

opened this weeks folder of Kruitvat (Belgian-Dutch drug store) and found that they had a special on modelkits this week, i went over to my local kruitvat and seen they had 4 1/144 revell boxes (F-16A, F-15A, F-14A (horrible 90's issue) and the F-4E/J)

i got me 2 revell 1/144 F-16A's and 1 F-15A.

maybe if im in the city later this week i'll check if other kruitvat stores have a bigger selection  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.