My Stash just grew again (2009)

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 01, 2009, 02:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

Quote from: Thorvic on July 29, 2009, 10:54:40 PM
Have a look at this booklet, has a few earlier proposals for post war conversions of the Iowa and Alaska classes

http://books.google.com/books?id=L4z8UIRymR4C&printsec=frontcover

Cool, it's online now.  Thanks for the link.  I actually bought that book last year when it first appeared.  Nice little reference, thanks!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Radish

From Modelzone in Nottingham:

1/128th Revell PBM-5
1/72nd Revell Twin Otter
1/72nd Emhar WWI "Female" Mk IV tank~4 decal options, 2 x British, 2 x German
1/72nd Enhar WWI Whippet 1A~ 4 decal options...British, German, Russian, Japanese.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

Also an Oxford 1/72nd diecast of a WW2 London Fire Brigade Austin Taxi  :wub:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

pyro-manic

Trumpy 1:700 Kirov from ebay arrived today. A Bargain at six quid. :) Not sure what I'll do with it yet, but she may get some honking great guns, or be turned into a Tiger-style aviation cruiser (big flight deck and hangar aft), or something else entirely...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

Quote from: pyro-manic on July 30, 2009, 11:45:25 AM
Trumpy 1:700 Kirov from ebay arrived today. A Bargain at six quid. :) Not sure what I'll do with it yet, but she may get some honking great guns, or be turned into a Tiger-style aviation cruiser (big flight deck and hangar aft), or something else entirely...

Why not move the superstructure forwards to make her a "Super-Moskva"?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

From ebay: Playfix "Giant Soviet Helicopter" for a fiver... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gloriously whiffable, this is an East German VEB Plasticart Mil-6 re-boxed as "Playfix" for export. It's allegedly 1/100th scale, although some websites claim it's actually 1/87th. My own rough measurements get the fuselage to 1/100th but the rotor to 1/87th! In any event, is one big moma: you could scaleorama it to 1/72nd and no-one would bat an eylid.

Accuracy-wise, it's a bit of a smorgasbord. The basic shape look good. It has spatted wheels (steady Brian) and no external tanks like the prototype, but it has the square windows and Aeroflot markings (decals sadly degraded) of the Mil-6P airline version. The cockpit windows appear to be total fantasy though: they're a smoothly rounded "slice of apple" shape with a sloping sill line, when in fact, all pictures I can find of the Mil-6 (even the prototypes), show a conventional windscreen-plus-side-windows setup with a straight sill.

My first thought was to ditch the ropey rotor blades, scaleorama it to 1/72nd and fit wings with tilting tip-rotors, shaft-driven from the original engines. On the other hand, as this page shows, it does build up nicely
out of the box.....

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.familie-wimmer.com/hobby/hr06/hr06-veb/index.html&ei=R_txSvDnId6OjAe_pKmoDA&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=5&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dplayfix%2Bmil-6%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7FUJC_en-GB

(That website is a good resource on VEB Plasticart kits BTW)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

McGreig

Quote from: Weaver on July 30, 2009, 01:20:34 PM
East German VEB Plasticart Mil-6 re-boxed as "Playfix" for export. It's allegedly 1/100th scale, although some websites claim it's actually 1/87th. My own rough measurements get the fuselage to 1/100th but the rotor to 1/87th!

I think that it's actually pretty much 1/72 (apart from the rotor blades) - place a Plasticart fuselage half next to one from the A-Model kit or the Airmodel vacform and you'll see that the length and the relative position of the engines etc is very close. (Or place it against Plasticart's Mi-10 which really is 1/100).

The problem with the Plasticart Mi-6 is that it is fairly anaemic - compared to the A-Model and Airmodel kits the fuselage is about 8mm too shallow and has a circular section rather than the flat sided, almost square section of the real thing (this is also the problem with the canopy), the tail fin is too narrow in chord and is about 15mm too short and the wings, while slightly too long in span, are about 4mm too short in chord. Then there is a marked, pinched in, pod and boom effect where the tail joins the fuselage above the rear doors - on the real thing the tail boom is a bit wider and the fuselage side is flat above the clamshell doors. (Also, although total Mi-6 production was about 800, only one was built with large square windows so, inevitably, this is the version produced by Plasticart - - - :blink: )

Essentially, what you get is the streamlined, racing coupé version of the Mi-6  :wacko:

Although it might be a good starting point for Mil's original Rotodyne-esque project as shown below (from Yefim Gordon's "Mil's Heavylift Helicopters")

Spey_Phantom

today i added an Airfix 1/72 Tiger Moth to the stash  :mellow:
now i can use the other sheet of TinTin decals that Martin H traded with me a while ago  ;D

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

Quote from: McGreig on July 31, 2009, 04:23:42 AM
Quote from: Weaver on July 30, 2009, 01:20:34 PM
East German VEB Plasticart Mil-6 re-boxed as "Playfix" for export. It's allegedly 1/100th scale, although some websites claim it's actually 1/87th. My own rough measurements get the fuselage to 1/100th but the rotor to 1/87th!

I think that it's actually pretty much 1/72 (apart from the rotor blades) - place a Plasticart fuselage half next to one from the A-Model kit or the Airmodel vacform and you'll see that the length and the relative position of the engines etc is very close. (Or place it against Plasticart's Mi-10 which really is 1/100).

Hmmm... every reference I can find gives a different, poorly-qualified length figure  :banghead: A perennial problem with helos: are they giving you the fuselage length or the length from the front edge of the main rotor disc to the back end of the tail rotor disc?

The problem with the Plasticart Mi-6 is that it is fairly anaemic - compared to the A-Model and Airmodel kits the fuselage is about 8mm too shallow and has a circular section rather than the flat sided, almost square section of the real thing (this is also the problem with the canopy), the tail fin is too narrow in chord and is about 15mm too short and the wings, while slightly too long in span, are about 4mm too short in chord. Then there is a marked, pinched in, pod and boom effect where the tail joins the fuselage above the rear doors - on the real thing the tail boom is a bit wider and the fuselage side is flat above the clamshell doors. (Also, although total Mi-6 production was about 800, only one was built with large square windows so, inevitably, this is the version produced by Plasticart - - - :blink: )

Essentially, what you get is the streamlined, racing coupé version of the Mi-6  :wacko:

Although it might be a good starting point for Mil's original Rotodyne-esque project as shown below (from Yefim Gordon's "Mil's Heavylift Helicopters")

Actually though, the circular fuselage makes it look MORE airlinery: wonder if I could "cone-ise" the tail end up to the tip of the boom? It reminds me of all that optimistic '60s artwork of tilt-rotor/gyrodyne airliners operating from pads moored to a jetty or built on the tops of skyscrapers.

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Airfix 1/72 Spitfire XIX - lovely  :wub:

Airfix 1/72 Me 109 G6 -  :banghead: If this is a new tool as reported then they've used the old one as a master ! I bought this for nostalgia reasons as when I first discovered after market transfers circa 1965 I must have built 15 of them. As far as I can remember the thing is identical. No problem though as it has a really nice markings sheet, the Finnish option already has a planed home  :wub:

RS 1/72 Me 109X. Nice simple little kit. I've a "cunning plan" for this so I'll see how well it goes together shortly.

RS 1/72 De Schelde S-21. Injection canopy thank you  ;D Again looks nice and simple in the box.

Special Hobby 1/72 Brewster SB2A-3 Buccaneer. Will be either USN S Atlantic Squadron on Argentine Blockade duties circa 1944 or French

Plus ordered this, this morning  :wub:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=FR005
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Howard of Effingham

RoG boxing of the 1/72 italeri RAH-66 comanche.....

i think us army in the gulf sorta markings as i did one years back in AAC markings.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Spey_Phantom

went ot a charity shop in my old hometown an foud a rather nice 1/72 Heller/Humbrol Ba349 Natter & Fi103 Reichenberg IV kit.
i think im gonna go back and get a few of those Soviet/Russian space shuttle prototype kits in 1/144.
they even had a revell 1/288 Sänger kit.

would be nice to convert this one into a 1/144 airliner  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Aircav

Off EB, a 1/72 Tamiya F4D Skyray and a 1/72 Fujimi TA-4 Skyhawk to see if I can do a two-seat Skyray  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

GTX

Quote from: Aircav on August 01, 2009, 08:52:14 AM
Off EB, a 1/72 Tamiya F4D Skyray and a 1/72 Fujimi TA-4 Skyhawk to see if I can do a two-seat Skyray  ;D

Go for it - can't wait to see the result!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

Oooh, yeah, a Tworay would be neat! :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?