My Stash just grew again (2009)

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 01, 2009, 02:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Went to the Bike Show in Manchester today, which involved walking past ModelZone, so....

1. Revell's Whifftastic 1/144th scale Ju 38 for a measy £3.99 in the sale!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :party: :party: :party: Remember BdB's fantasic Northrop Manta Ray flying wing buolt from one of these? Well I wouldn't dream of copying it of course, but as inspiration......

2. Airfix 1/76th Scorpion/Scimitar. Mostly, I want the RARDEN cannon option to graft onto a JB Saladin, but I also want to offer both guns up to a Skyvan for possible Brit-gunship duties.

3. PM Horten Ho-229 V7 (2-seat night fighter version) for £3.65. Very simple kit but good for whiffing.

4. PM Fokker D.XXI for £3.65. Very simple and a bit rough in places, but I have an irrational affection for these planes: no idea why. It's also both Spattastic and Finlanderful, since it has Dutch and Finnish markings and both spatted wheels and spat-like skis. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Of course, I might give it retractable gear just to be awkward (steady Brian) and save both the spats and the skis for something else..... :wacko:

They have a few other things in the basic-but-cheap PM range as well bTW, including single and two-seat Sea Furies, the single seat Horten and a little rocket-powered Me-something-or-other with a choice of short or long wings.

Other things that I successfully resisted on grounds of miserliness: Revell Puma for it's gun (bought the Scorpion instead), Tamiya 1/100th F-105 (oh the scaleorama possibilities...), various Panhard M3 4x4 APCs in 1/72nd by a company I've never heard of (AMT or something?): I like the things (they're like 4-wheeled pigs... ;D) but they were too dear even at sale prices.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rallymodeller

First kit purchases of the new year. I promised myself I wouldn't, but there you are. Another New Year's Resolution dies a horrible, gory death.

I bought me a 1/72 Zvezda Ka-50SH Night Hunter attack helo and, of all things, a Matchbox Dornier Do-18 right off the shelf at my LHS. It was Matchbox. It was a seaplane. It was MISB. I couldn't resist.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

lancer

First kit purchases of 2009 - YAY!!!
Took a trip to the model shop in Bognor today, thats on the South Coast of England for those that don't know, first trip in several years. Still a brilliant little shop with a reasonable but well stocked plastic section. Came away with the following. All 1:72

Trumpeter Challanger 2 MBT
Trumpeter Italian C1 Ariete MBT
ACE FV101 Scorpion complete with ETCHED tracks :banghead: :banghead:
Hasslegawa Daimler Mk2 Armoured car
Arifix Fairey Fulmar

Now onto MK for the next big purchasing mission
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Steel Penguin

went looking for a 1:48 TSR2, utter fail. came back with a 1:48 Heller Patriot missile launcher, going to look for the TSR tommorow at hobbycraft.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Weaver

Went to Bolton Model Show this afternoon - nice to see some of the guys there!  :thumbsup:

Five purchases:

1. Isradecal sheet for 1/48th IAF helicopters, because it gives me the right size roundels for the Super Magister. I'm very unlikely to use the rest of this sheet beyond two roundels and six numbers, so if anyone's interested.....

2. Airfix F-86D for £4.00. I bought an incomplete one of these to whiff up from ebay, but I liked the look of it when it came, so now I've got a "proper" one.

3. Fujimi F-8D for £4.00. Cheap Crusader to possibly get whiffed into a Paladin at some point.

Now two whiftastic finds, for £3.50 each... :wub: :wub: :wub:

4. Esci Ka-34 Hokum
5. Italieri Mil-28 Havoc

Why? Because these kits were produced in 1983 and 1988 without benefit of seeing a real example of either machine! They were based on US DoD artwork that was spectacularly wrong: the Havoc has a bulbous nose with practically no sensors and a turreted gatling gun, whilst the Hokum (what an appropriate code name!) has tandem seats..... ;D ;D ;D

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Great!  ;D Can you post pics of the box tops of those last two?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Martin H

Just got back from the Bolton Show.

From Thorvic.
Cooperatiav Lavochkin La-15
Matchbox Gloster Gladiator.

From Transport Models (Preston)
Hobbyboss Lavochkin La-7

From Chris E (Narses). A fataly damaged scence of smell!!!!!!! (those who were at the curry house last night will know what i mean.)

From the show itself
Zvezda Mil Mi-26 Halo.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

Just kicking myself for not buying the Master Hobby Ts-11 Iskra I noticed on one of the stands at Bolton. Why? 'Cos I've already got one and it's got a nice little detailed engine in it, with no way of making it visible once fitted. If I'd bought the other one I'd have had two to use as exposed engines for my "Westland Huey" project.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on January 11, 2009, 11:21:51 AM
Great!  ;D Can you post pics of the box tops of those last two?

Here we go:

1. Havoc. I have the artwork on which this was based in several mid-80s reference books. The only variation is that the artwork shows the gun (which is in a fixed pannier, BTW) as a long, single-barrelled cannon (correct) whilst the kit has it as a four-barreled gatling gun, like a scaled-up Yak-B:

2. Hokum. Artwork and ideas about this were more variable, with some accurateish side-profiles being interpreted as showing side-by-side seating, since no-one could get their heads around the idea of a single-seat attack helo. Of course, Kamov subsequently made that fantasy a reality, but this one, with tandem seating, is straight from a DoD analyst's fevered brain.

You can't really get the shape from the box top, so here's the instructions:

Note that both kits make the elementary mistake of giving them 57mm rocket pods, when Hinds in Afghanistan had already moved up to 80mm. They also greatly underestimate the missile load, again based on Hind practice, and the missiles on the Havoc are way too short: more like AT-4s than AT-6s. The Hokum does come with an impressive quartet of R-60 AAMs for it's supposedly primary anit-helo role though. It also comes with fantasy HOT-like quad-launch boxes for a new ATGW. These would have made good heavy rocket pods, but unfortunately, the nose cap of one is missing  :banghead: Not the vendor's fault: the parts were still in a sealed bag when I opened it - it must have got knocked off in the factory..... :rolleyes:

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Thanks Weave, they look good!  Maybe Western reverse engineered aircraft???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on January 12, 2009, 02:13:07 AM
Thanks Weave, they look good!  Maybe Western reverse engineered aircraft???

Or how about Western adversary aircraft? Fit the Havoc with a Hueycobra rotor system to imply that it's a cosmetic shell around an exisiting airframe.

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Aircav

Just back from Bolton and I had a great time what with Transport Model, the meal out on the Saturday night and the show on the Sunday, great to see everyone again.
Right down to the purchases, big boxes included,

From Transport Models
Heller
1/400 HMS Illustrious
1/400 HMS Colossus
1/400 Duquesne D603

Airfix
1/600 Moskva

Mirage
1/400 Tarantula II
1/400 PSK BG-50 "Grigoij Kuropjatnikow"

Academy
1/32 F-16CG/CJ

Eduard
1/48 German WWI Personnel

Tamiya
1/48 German aircraft power suppy unit with crew

Knightwing
00 Portakabin

Cooper Craft
00 AEC Monarch tanker lorry
00 Tanker trailer

Off Thorvic, thanks Geoff
Ecsi 1/72 C-130K
Airfix 1/72 Nimrod
x2 Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito

And at the Bolton show

MDC 1/32 Me262A2a/U2 conversion
Hasegawa F-16 egg plane
Dragon 1/35 Desert Rats, modern
and some PE sets for 1/32 aircraft and 1/35 armour

I do have to say though I think Pat had the edge over Chris on the Biological warfare front
See you all at 'udersfield  ;D :thumbsup:
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

NARSES2

Well the sweet little waitress in the Indian thought I was very brave eating those chilles  :wub:

Bolton purchases :

Polair PZL P.50 from Thorvic
Revell P.47
Hobby Boss Mig 15 from Thorvic
Techmod transfer sheet for PZL 11's with some stunning unit insignia

Some sanding blocks
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Succombed.....ordered today:

3 x Revell Bf-109K in 1/48th. A beautiful kit, first released 20+ years ago as a G-10, it's had a few additions to build a "K" but you still need to move the fuselage radio hatch...easy.
Some decals for it....them, rather.....Japanese and Finnish. Lots of scope for the other (plus those in the stash!)

Following all 1/72nd from HobbyBoss:
4 x F4U-1D Corsair....one for "Biggles Follows On", the others......not decided yet, but RAF ones come to mind, especially the PR Blue one that was operated alongside the PINK one at RAF Stafford.
F4U-4
F4F-3 Wildcat....got to be French
P-47D
F-84E
From Italeri in 1/72nd:
Dornier Do 217J :wub: possibly Finnish, possibly French Navy off a carrier :drink: :party:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen