Converting a CL-604 into a Sentinel R.1

Started by Hobbes, January 01, 2009, 06:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

I've started another project (waiting for paint to dry, so I've got an excuse not to be working on the other models in the pipeline)

Won't say too much yet, I'll have to see if I can make this work.

apophenia

Oooh, very intriguing! Any hints?

Regional Jet? R1 Sentinel?   :wacko:

Ed S

Replacement for the Nimrod?

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

apophenia

Quote from: Ed S on January 01, 2009, 05:03:59 PM
Replacement for the Nimrod?

I like it ... Bombardier is supposed to be working on a maritime patrol version of Global Express.

Hobbes

That was quick; yes it's going to be a Sentinel. Main hurdles now are the wing box and the engines; the wing is basically sorted. The Airbus 319 wing has the correct dimensions, it just needs to be fitted with more sweep.

apophenia

Quote from: Hobbes on January 02, 2009, 01:29:29 AM
yes it's going to be a Sentinel.

Cool!!!  Will it be RAF or a What-if scheme?

Captain Canada

Neato ! What did you use for the plug ? Looks like it fits perfectly !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Hobbes

The plug is 19mm electrical tubing sanded down to fit (the fuselage is 18.7 mm).

It's going to be an RAF bird.

kitnut617

This is very interesting Hobbes, I've plans on doing a 1/72 scale one.  I did manage to find this 1/100 scale desk-top model, I can take a bunch more photos of it if you need them:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

Thanks, I found a walkaround here which should provide most of the detail I need, though.

Hobbes

It's been a while, I've had to finish some other projects before getting on with this. I'm working on the wing box now. I found some decent photos, but there'll still be some guesswork, mainly for the way the wing box blends into the fuselage.

kitnut617

The wing is quite a bit different to the CL-604 Hobbes, but your wingbox looks quite close.

Hobbes

Kitnut, I'll be using the wing of an Airbus A-319, which is quite close according to the 3-view drawing I have. Thanks for the breakdown pics of your model, those will be helpful. Could you do me a favor and take a few more photos? Esp the wingbox and the tail end of the fuselage (which is quite different to the 604).

sideshowbob9

Looking good! I'm suprised more bizjets aren't available and the Global Express is a glaring omission.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished  :thumbsup:

kitnut617

Quote from: Hobbes on May 10, 2009, 11:24:42 PM
Kitnut, I'll be using the wing of an Airbus A-319, which is quite close according to the 3-view drawing I have. Thanks for the breakdown pics of your model, those will be helpful. Could you do me a favor and take a few more photos? Esp the wingbox and the tail end of the fuselage (which is quite different to the 604).

Sure no problem, I'll do it today.  The rear fuselage does pinch in where the engines are.