De Havilland Sea Vixen

Started by Daryl J., January 01, 2009, 10:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on January 11, 2009, 08:23:37 AM
Now the latter is something Evan mentioned for the F11F but I never realised it was a real proposal, it'd make much more sense than the J79 in the F11F-1F, the Avons smaller size would have meant less redesign.

Uhh, the 200 series Avons and the J79 are basically similar in size, the J79 actually having the smaller diameter.
Comparing lengths and weights can cause misunderstanding as the Avon lengths/weights are without afterburner,
the afterburner was a separate assembly, and the J79 overall length/weight includes its integral afterburner.

Jon

Mossie

Ah right, that changes things a little for another thread!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Daryl J.

The J79 could theoretically fit in a Sea Vixen??     

Daryl J.

GTX

Did someone mention a Sea Vixen-Tomcat Hybrid a while back:

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dy031101

I've always kinda found the offset canopy for the pilot not as visually-pleasing as tandem canopy on the centreline......

Also to go with the "Invincible with catapults and angled-deck" idea that's been floating in my head lately, would the Sea Vixen be able to take a Skyflash-capable radar and remain deployable from something like, say, a Centaur class carrier or its logical continuations?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Daryl J.

I bet there is more than just one person glad the Airfix 1/48 kit is going to now a regular production item.   

Rolead

Now that the Airfix kit has been released and selling very well if the RAF used it would it need an internal gun or pure AAMs? And would there have to be any other changes

TIA
Robert

pyro-manic

The DH.110 design included guns, but on the production Sea Vixen they were replaced with microcell rocket packs. Shouldn't be too hard to switch them around again.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

rickshaw

In the back of my mind there is a picture of a Vixen with a slanting tailplane - something about concerns about a straight tailplane versus supersonic performance.  In the end they instead went with a very thin tailplane and we get the shape we are all familiar with.  Is my memory correct?  Does anybody have a picture of the proposed slanting tailplane?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

There was a V shaped swept horizontal tail proposed early on.  I can't find any pics at the mo, I'll see if I can dig something out.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Found the pic in BSP Fighters, can't post it due to copyright.  It dates from 1947, quite early in the development of the DH.110.  The DH.110 at this stage has a side by side canopy similar to the mosquito & vertical tails similar to the Venom.  The horizontal tail is in the shape of an inverted V & it's leading & trailing edge sweep matches that of the wing.

I've found something on Secret Projects that's very interesting, I'll try & post it tonight.

Mossie

As promised, Spey engined Sea Vixen found on Secret Projects.  Offered at the time the FAW.2 was being touted, it offered considerable improvement in range & endurance.  The only major external change was a supplementary intake for the extra airflow required, this was from the original due to a spar being in this location.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3278.0/highlight,sea+vixen+spey.html

Mossie

Similar variant but with reheat, this required more substantial changes to the rear fuselage.  Might have been a good option to go with the proposed supersonic wings.

pyro-manic

Interesting, thanks! I'm planning an advanced Sea Vixen, and this will be useful. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

Interesting.

Anyone for some whatif profiles of the Sea Vixen in other services (come on, help me find a reason to buy one or more of the new Airfix 1/48th kit)?  I am thinking the following for starters:

West German
Indian Navy
French Navy
Italian Navy

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!