De Havilland Sea Vixen

Started by Daryl J., January 01, 2009, 10:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

Seeing the announcement (?old news??....?new news??) of the up and coming Airfix Sea Vixen, it would seem decent to put NASA markings similar to Jennings TSR.2 sheet on the aircraft.   US Navy white/red?    White with lo-viz roundels?

Daryl J.

pyro-manic

There was a proposed supersonic version, with modified wings and uprated engines. Also versions with rocket engines added. Details on this in the BSP Fighters book, Chapter 5. The delta-wing version looks pretty cool. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Archibald

Aeronavale markings - the brits loaned some to the frogs as interim interceptors around 1961 -

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

gunfighter

If I had one, I would finish it with US Navy markings, maybe with sparrows and sidewinders...

GTX

How about a RAN, Indian Navy or even RAF one?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Quote from: Shasper on January 02, 2009, 10:02:03 AM
Twin seat cockpit, on the centerline . . .

Shas b)

Nicked from a Javelin, of course.....

How about reinstating the Adens of the original DH.110, instead of the rocket packs?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

overscan

Why not go Canadian?

From DH110 Tactical Bomber (RCAF Requirement) Brochure
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Weaver

I've always wondered how they proposed to get away with the forward fuselage stretch on those DH.110 bomber proposals, as there seems to be nothing to compensate for the forward movement of the CofG....... :huh:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on January 11, 2009, 01:47:40 AM
I've always wondered how they proposed to get away with the forward fuselage stretch on those DH.110 bomber proposals, as there seems to be nothing to compensate for the forward movement of the CofG....... :huh:

Perhaps the rear end of those ginormous tip tanks are filled with ballast? :)

Personally I'd make the booms a tad longer, put a camera nose on it and fit MUCH longer wings, but then you'd expect that from me anyway...........  &lt;_&lt;
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

This version would have had a standard recce fit with cameras in the nose alongside the radar.  Granted though, it wouldn't be a full high altitude PR variant!  I think the Sea Vixen would look pretty smart in hemp, or even MSG/PRU blue. :thumbsup:

Now that the Xtrakit/MPM Sea Vixen has been out a little while, I'm suprised we haven't seen a slew of aircraft in other colours, especially RAF.  I gather the RAF variant would have had few differences.  The few shots I've seen of the DH.110 on it's feet seem to show a similar undercarriage & you'd simply fill in the wing fold & delete the arrestor gear.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

I just hauled my old Frog Sea Vixen out of The Loft to remind myself of the shape. The booms are amazingly short, but that's because the swept wings bring the attachment point of the booms way back relative to the fuselage.

The 'pen-knib' fairing between the exhausts wouldn't be needed on a land based one (no hook) and Javelin FAW9 burner cans might look quite good there. The Buttler book mentions a plan for one with a rocket motor exhausting above and between the jet exhausts, but they worried about acoustic fatigue of the tailplane. Without a hook you could put a rocket between or below the jets even.

That radar nose is awfully short to get a camera bay behind it, or were you thinking of just one F95, a la Harrier GR1?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I'm not sure quite how the cameras would fit, the Butler book just mentions "Reconnaissance cameras were installed in the nose alongside the radar".  I'm guessing that by 'alongside' that it maybe means down the fuselage sides, that stretch giving some room to house them?

In the same entry for the strike version, it mentions  'an optional de Havilland Spectre rocket could be installed in a jettisionable pack between the two rockets to assist take off'.  It mentions a developed version of the Avon too, the RB.133

An aside, but searching the RB.133 reveals that it was also touted for the Canberra PR.9, a German version of the F11F Tiger (along with the RA.24).  Now the latter is something Evan mentioned for the F11F but I never realised it was a real proposal, it'd make much more sense than the J79 in the F11F-1F, the Avons smaller size would have meant less redesign.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

DamienB

de Havilland Vixen FAW.1, 29 Squadron, RAF Coltishall, 1964:

de Havilland Sea Vixen FAW.2, 800 NAS, HMS Hermes, 1982:

Any other requests...?

Daryl J.

Yes:

Anti flash white with lo-viz markings (RAF)
3 tone sand/sand/brown USAF Adversary markings circa 1988
3 tone CAF adversary markings in greenish sand kullerz.
White/Red Edwards AFB USAF markings
VF-84 Gull Grey/White USN
SEA Green/Green/Tan/Black USAF.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:,
Daryl J., who rather likes the shape of the Sea Vixen

DamienB

Blimey, well I can manage one...

FAW.1 XA569, 151 Squadron, RAF Leuchars, 1959: