De Havilland Sea Vixen

Started by Daryl J., January 01, 2009, 10:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Despite the lack of auctionable Sea Vixens I just won one on eBay.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 15, 2018, 11:57:48 AM

What, a real one?

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on February 15, 2018, 01:27:13 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 15, 2018, 11:57:48 AM

What, a real one?

Er, no, a 1/72 scale one. I don't have enough room in my front garden for a real one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Now that's a nice looking aeroplane  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 05, 2022, 01:37:27 AM

Still needs the cockpit in the middle as God intended!!   But agreed...lovely! 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on February 05, 2022, 01:43:24 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 05, 2022, 01:37:27 AM

Still needs the cockpit in the middle as God intended!!   But agreed...lovely!

True. When I was a kid and first saw a Sea Vixen I remember asking a schoolmaster who served in Bomber Command during WWII as a navigator why the navigator was in the coal hole and his reply was " no idea, but wouldn't have happened in my day. How on earth does he take a star shot ?" I then had to ask what that was  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

Apparently the real reasoning was that the Radar displays of the day where somewhat lacking so being in a dimly lit area aided in Radar interpretation.   Seems like that's putting a LOT of faith in a Red top to keep the fight from going visual. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on February 05, 2022, 02:03:17 AM
Apparently the real reasoning was that the Radar displays of the day where somewhat lacking so being in a dimly lit area aided in Radar interpretation.   Seems like that's putting a LOT of faith in a Red top to keep the fight from going visual.

Yup. I just can't imagine what it must have been like to be jammed into that tiny space for a couple of hours. Still they built them tough back then  ;) Although modern day kids would actually be used to being cooped up in a dark place with nothing but a VDU screen to stare at for hours on end  :angel:

PR19_Kit

Canberra Navs had the same problems, but the early bomber version's crews had a mate to chat too as well as they sat behind the pilot. The PR9's Nav was stuck in the 'Coal Hole' right in the nose of the aircraft.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I've blown up the three view for the stretched one for GOR.339 and it looked huge.  Dropped the frog centre section on it and a perfect fit.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

What's the 1/72 Cyberhobby/Revell FAW2 Sea Vixen like?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Beermonster58

Quote from: zenrat on March 17, 2022, 04:12:25 AM
I have two unbuilt kits.
Nicely detailed kit that appears to be decently engineered.
Can't be mistaken for anything else, that's  for sure! 😊.
I can't see anything wrong just by looking at the kit so, it's good enough for me.
Certainly the only readily available, modern kit of the Sea Vixen in 1/72.
As to "accuracy" or otherwise, that's not a problem for me.
I let the rivet counters bother about that! 😉😂.

Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

kitnut617

Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 17, 2022, 04:45:06 AM
I have two unbuilt kits.
I can't see anything wrong just by looking at the kit so, it's good enough for me.

The Revell kit I had is a rebox of the old Frog kit, do they have a newer one then ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 17, 2022, 06:20:23 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 17, 2022, 04:45:06 AM
I have two unbuilt kits.

The Revell kit I had is a rebox of the old Frog kit, do they have a newer one then ?

Yep, Revell did sell a repop of the FROG Sea Vixen as cat no 04132.  Scalemates states that was released in 1996 (IIRC there may have been a second Revell release of this kit but perhaps I'm imagining that).

https://www.revell.de/produkte/modellbau/flugzeuge/militaer-modern/model-set-sea-vixen-faw-2.html (€40.49) and (confusingly) https://www.revell.de/produkte/modellbau/flugzeuge/militaer-modern/sea-vixen-faw-2-70th-anniversary.html (€32.49) are the same kit, both reboxes of the Cyberhobby/Dragon product.  Hannants (other model shops are available!) lists the latter at £36.99.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter