Mirage F.1 Camouflage for Madagascar

Started by Bryan H., December 21, 2007, 12:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan H.

It's my Mirage F1 and it's based in Madagascar.  I believe Madagascar has a mix of semi-arid to wet tropical environments.  So there's jungles, grasslands, dry scrub & deserts.  It seems like it needs something more...  I think I need to add some sand, tan or brown, maybe some olive or dark green and perhaps some grey or black.  I'm thinking maybe spot some of those colors in the light green area.  What would you do?

On to the picture.

Thanks for your help &  :cheers: Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Unfortunately I'm at work atm and cannot see the pic - there's a block on 'file sharing' sites y'see - Bryan, if you can 'E' me the pic as an attachment straight from your hard-drive, I'd be happy to make a comment/suggstion.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Brian da Basher

I'd add a few tan spots first and then some olive drab ones last.

Looking good, Bryan!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Jeffry Fontaine

The camouflage pattern used by the the JASDF Army AH-1 Cobra helicopters comes to mind when I think of what you are describing.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

Well I would normally recommend choosing whatever they use in real life, but it seems as though the Forces Armées Populaires mainly stick to bare metal (which might look cool on a Mirage F1) - at least on their MiG-21s.  Not sure what their Mi-8s have - that might be an option.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Bryan H.

Thanks!  I think I'll go with BtB's OD & tan spots on the light green.  I've got to post & run but if anyone has some more ideas please post'em.

:cheers: Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

Mossie

OD & tan like Bri mentioned, but curved lines instead of dots, something along the lines of Luftwaffe squiggles.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Gekko_1

Camouflage can be a funny old thing. Best bet is to go 'high-contrast', which in this case would mean the inclusion of a very dark colour. I'd say "black-green".

The basic idea of camouflage for an aircraft like this is to break-up its shape whilst flying at low altitude. So a high-contrast camouflage pattern would do that, in a similar way to how some RAF jets are camouflaged for Exercises in Norway when the blue-grey is over painted with white, that is a high-contrast camouflage scheme.

:drink:

Richard.

Captain Canada

I'm not sold on the spots. I think spots will make it look cartoony....but then again, if you try it, it might look pretty cool !

I would suggest another, lighter brown ( or tan, or sand...) and a darker green. Just follow some of the lines you already have.

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Well I'm at home now so can see the pic. I'd go for a dark bluey green, and a very dark red brown, almost maroon.

Just a thought.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)