What Year Did Grey/Green/Grey Scheme Replace Earth/Green/Sky?

Started by Flitzer, June 20, 2008, 04:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flitzer

Hi all,
I know I should know this already, but what year did the grey/green/grey scheme replace the earth/green/sky?

Plus as an aside...
I can't see all aircraft being repainted over night and wondered if anyone has refs of aircraft with in between schemes/partly done paint jobs that may have been pressed in to service before completion?

Many thanks
Peter
;D :rolleyes:
Madness is the normal condition, only interupted by spells of sanity.

kitnut617

IIRC the aircraft weren't repainted in the field, just touch-ups being done, the aircraft were constantly being upgraded and squadrons were rotated frequently as some were rested from the fighting.  It was during these resting periods that the squadrons were upgraded and re-equipped with the latest mark, there just wasn't time to re-paint during operations.  You'll notice that photographic evidence would show that no Spitfire Mk.V was green/brown for instance, although Mk.II's were.

I can't remember which book it was in, might have been the one about Bob Tuck-Fly for your Life, but there was mention to the different colours, which started when the RAF fighters went on the offensive after BoB, the date as Lee has mentioned above.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Nigel Bunker

I hate to disagree but many Spitfire Vs were in dark green/earth/sky finish. And when the order came to replace this finish with the ocean grey/dark green/ sea grey medium fiish, this was done at unit level, hence the variations in greys (which were mixed locally by the units)
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

Maverick

I was always of the understanding that the camo change came about because of 'overwater' ops (ie: Cross-Channel offensive operations).  This resulted in the Temperate Sea upper scheme rather than the Temperate Land upper scheme (which still remained standard for heavy bombers throughout the war).  I've got a photocopy of an Airfix 'RAF Colours' somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Regards,

Mav

kitnut617

Quote from: Nigel Bunker on June 20, 2008, 07:35:28 AM
I hate to disagree but many Spitfire Vs were in dark green/earth/sky finish. And when the order came to replace this finish with the ocean grey/dark green/ sea grey medium fiish, this was done at unit level, hence the variations in greys (which were mixed locally by the units)

That's interesting Nigel, I've never seen any pictures showing that.  Where can I find some?

nev

Quote from: Flitzer on June 20, 2008, 04:29:06 AM

I can't see all aircraft being repainted over night and wondered if anyone has refs of aircraft with in between schemes/partly done paint jobs that may have been pressed in to service before completion?

What you do also see is planes in one camo (usually the newer grey/green) with a replacement part such as a rudder, aileron or cowling in the older camo which has been robbed off a war-weary veteran.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

NARSES2

Quote from: Nigel Bunker on June 20, 2008, 07:35:28 AM

Including Douglas Baders Spit V in which he was shot down.

As for the switch to grey it was 15 August 1941 officially

Ocean grey is a difficult one as it wasn't used in production until probably early 1942, whence the use of mixed grey.

Finally Mav I think Temperate Sea Scheme was a Coastal/FAA term ? The RAF OG/DG/MSG scheme was known as the Day Fighter Scheme ASIK
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Just found a pic of a Spit II with Grey/Green uppers, "Possibly" Sky unders if that helps ? Eagle Sqd aircraft

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Maverick

Chris,

Everytime I've read anything definitve on Brit camo, the term Temperate Sea has been used to describe the Green/Grey over Grey camo as opposed to Temperate Land for bombers, etc.  It was, I believe, specifically developed for cross-Channel offensive ops initial for fighters, later moving onto coastal command and other operators' aircraft.  As I say, that's what I've read, but there's no guarantee that the sources are accurate.  I will try to find the Airfix publication I mentioned earlier to give a more definitive answer.

Regards,

Mav

Geoff

It also depended on theatre as well. SEAC used green/brown until '44-'45 IIRC; and there was a Mediterranian scheme as well with Azure blue undersides and Sand/Stone uppers.
I am of course prepared to be torn to shreds on this one!

Maverick

Geoff,

I guess that's what they mean by 'Temperate', as opposed to tropical or desert.

Regards,

Mav

Mossie

Quote from: Maverick on June 21, 2008, 03:39:08 AM
Chris,

Everytime I've read anything definitve on Brit camo, the term Temperate Sea has been used to describe the Green/Grey over Grey camo as opposed to Temperate Land for bombers, etc.  It was, I believe, specifically developed for cross-Channel offensive ops initial for fighters, later moving onto coastal command and other operators' aircraft.  As I say, that's what I've read, but there's no guarantee that the sources are accurate.  I will try to find the Airfix publication I mentioned earlier to give a more definitive answer.

Regards,

Mav

Mav, Temperate Sea Scheme was specific to the Dark Slate Grey/Extra Dark Sea Grey combination used on FAA & Coastal Command aircraft.  The demarcations & undersides changed over the years, but the uppers remained the same, until 1946 IIRC.  Temperate Day Scheme was only used by the RAF & varied more between types & throughout the years.  The names used for the schemes remain the same, where the colours are fluid.  Don Color is a good guide.

Zac, you'll find several profiles on Wings Pallete that show the previous paint scheme in use well after August 1941.

Spitfire Mk.IIa in grey/green:

Spitfire Mk.V in brown/grey.  The Mk.V was introduced before the August date for grey/green uppers.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Thanks guys for setting me straight, but I'd still like to see some actual photos.

Mossie

There's one on this site which appears to have been a dark green/ dark earth aircraft patched up with Ocean Grey panels:
http://jonbius.blogspot.com/
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Good find Simon, it looks like a right mish-mash of various aircraft doesn't it?