Main Menu

The great war GB

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 04, 2009, 03:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

being a memeber here for quie a while, ive noticed that the WW1 era weapons dont get to much attention in the field of group builds, so i was thinking why not create a Group Build for it.

there re plenty of World War 1 models out there, and scratchbuilding them isnt that hard, as most designs were quite simple.

everthing could be elligable, from Planes and tanks, to ships and figures.

who knows, maybe we could see some Fokker D VII's in Danish markings, Vimy bombers in canadian markings, some Belgian, german, french tanks, ships (i think revell release a 1/350 S.M.S emden kit)
maybe introduce the aircraft carrier a little earlier  :lol:

i think this could be an interesting GB  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Joe C-P

I have considered a WW1 carrier. The Royal Navy did have HMS Argus by the end of the war; what if they'd finished her a few months earlier?
What if the USN had continued experimenting after the initial tests by Glenn Curtis? The Navy's initial objection was that the platform interfered with the guns of the big ships, but what if they'd tried an older cruiser, one with its guns mounted in casements along the sides?
Germany might have considered using the battlecruiser Seydlitz, heavily damaged at Jutland, once they learned of the RN's work on HMS Furious. Imagine the first carrier vs. carrier battle occurring in September 1918 - HMS Furious and Vindictive against the Seydlitz!
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Daryl J.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just remember, stuff from Dubdub-one seems to take extra time to construct if it's an aircraft.

Daryl J.

Mossie

I mentioned that Camel kit that the missus bough me a little while ago, this thread might give me the kick up the arse I need to build it.  I'm particularly interested in the Swallow you mentioned Daryl.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Daryl J.

There was another similar version.     Some day the HC 1/32 scale Camel will get the conversion into a spurious world, but not for the time being.    Don't you love that little beastie?

Daryl J.

Mossie

Yeah, I loved it when you first posted it.  I'm kind of having trouble sourcing a wing for it, I thought I might be able to re-shape Eindecker and scratch an insert but the only one I know of is Revells old kit which is suprisingly hide to find in 1/72.  It's about time a lot of WWI aircraft kits were re-kitted in injection.

I've got to admit, I probably wouldn't have been interested had the missus not bought me the Camel kit, that alone has helped spark a little interest at least.  Before then, I mostly saw bi-planes as a vaguely interesting prelude to the monoplane & they never really got my heart beating quickly.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Sisko

From an armour perspective some of the stuff on the drawing boards around the end of the war were very interesting.

Plan 1919 certainly would have seen some these proposals made real. One thing about WW1 was that many drawing board ideas became reality because both sides were eager for that all inportant "breakthrough"
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Brian da Basher

I'd be up for this one! It might be a good idea to send a PM to Comrade Anthony the Group Build Commisar and see what needs done to get it added to the GB poll.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Spey_Phantom

BUMP:

just a quick idea, i was gonna propose a WW1 GB, but then i realised i already did.
ive been playing with a couple of ideas lately and came up with the following.

-biplane version of the Fokker Dr1.
-bomber version of the Fokker M.V (E.III monoplane), a concept using 3 1/72 E.III kits to create a twin boom, twing engine monoplane bomber for Germany (better get 3 revell kits for this one  ;D)

EDIT: made a quick design sketch  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

jcf

Quote from: Nils on January 16, 2010, 04:25:20 AM

-biplane version of the Fokker Dr1.

That would be the D.6, Dr.1 fuselage and D.7 type wings.
http://www.dutch-aviation.nl/index5/Military/index5-1%20D6.html
V.9 was the first of a series of prototypes for the D.6
http://www.dutch-aviation.nl/index5/Military/index5-1%20V9.html

V.13 prototype

Fokker did have the M.9 twin-engined, twin-fuselage experimental made from two M.7 biplanes, so your concept is not far off his own thinking:

http://www.dutch-aviation.nl/index5/Military/index5-1%20M9.html

http://www.dutch-aviation.nl/index5/Military/index5-1%20Fokker%20Military%20Aircrafts.html

NARSES2

Well I do have plans for some Plan 1919 armour builds this year, so they would fit
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Got a Camel Sesqui-plane on the bench for Israeli service...1922.

Got a Camel on the bench for WW1 Biggles....

Got an SE5A on the bench....Biggles stories, as flown by Wilks

Got a Fokker D.7.75 on the bench.....1919 German.
Got a Whippet nearly finished (Biggles)

Got a WW1 car nearly finished....Biggles!!
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

pyro-manic

I've a couple of ideas for this:

HMS Leopard (IJN Kongo adapted for the Royal Navy)
Airships! - A couple of big bombers, either British, German or Austro-Hungarian.
Plus maybe a landship or two.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<