Pershing and Patton Family of MBT (M26, M46, M47, M48, M60, and M103)

Started by GTX, January 06, 2009, 11:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

This one always fascinates me- tanks with missiles.

The Peruvian army scheme of arming their T-55s with the 9K11 Malyutka missiles got me thinking about it, too.

To make this even more intriguing, imagine the SS.11 missiles being upgraded with SACLOS and tandem warheads......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Weaver

There were various schemes to arm Centurions and Vickers MBTs with Swingfire (got a pic of the latter somewhere at home), and some AMX-13s used to carry 4 x SS-11s, so why not? In practice, most of these schems didn't go through because the movement patterns of a tank and an ATGW vehicle on the battlefield are quite different: wherever your combined vehicle is, it's in the wrong place for one of it's functions. However, it could be adopted either to suite peculiar operational conditions, or as a "no other choices" option to up-arm and outgunned tank.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

dy031101

Quote from: Weaver on May 26, 2009, 04:22:38 AM
However, it could be adopted either to suite peculiar operational conditions, or as a "no other choices" option to up-arm and outgunned tank.

When I posted the picture, I was thinking the latter.

Like if the US placed against the ROC a harsher arms embargo such that if the Taiwanese want something more potent than the M48A3, they will need a wider use of indigenous items- for example, their 9K11 Malyutka copies- while the PLA has ready access to 105mm L7 guns......

(But then again, I suppose that there'd always have been South Africa to partner with until Nelson Mandela became that country's president.)

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

Did I ask if the M48 can take the bigger turret of the M60A3?

There is a version of the M48 that was meant to take surplus turrets from M60 meant for conversion into the M60A2.

It'd have been the very original M60 turret, which has roughly the same shape as the M48, but by the existence of such a planned M48 variant can I safely assume that turret ring size is not going to be a problem?

Like, an up-armoured M48 hull combined with Magach- or Sabra-enhanced M60A1/3 turret......

I'm still kinda warmed up to the idea of a missile-armed gun tank...... although I now like the M47 better as a candidate (whether the 90mm gun is kept or traded-up to the 105mm) rather than the M48......

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

I've actually heard that the turrets of M48A5 and CM11/12 became a little bit cramped with the installation of the 105mm gun...... is it really?

If it is indeed the case, the problem might be a bit more serious on the M47......

I'm kinda wondering if the M47 can be re-gunned with the Soviet 100mm gun found in the T-55 tanks, too...... later versions of the weapon can fire 9K116-1 Bastion laser-guided missiles, enabling the gun-carrying vehicle to engage modern MBT, although the missile is said to be very expensive ("about half the price of a T-55M tank")......

Quote from: salt6 on May 30, 2009, 04:32:07 PM
http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/

Thanks.  :thumbsup:

The link seems to suggest that the M1 has a turret ring of the same diametre with the M48 and M60......

So technically (just technically) one can try to slap a M1 turret onto a properly-tuned-up M48 hull as well......?

EDIT: Some sources stated that Spain converted a batch of about 110 into the 105mm-gun-armed M47E2 and disarmed them in compliance with CFE agreements.

====================

To-do list here

Just call me Ray

Quote from: dy031101 on May 30, 2009, 11:25:41 PM

So technically (just technically) one can try to slap a M1 turret onto a properly-tuned-up M48 hull as well......?

...well....

It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

dy031101

Quote from: Just call me Ray on May 31, 2009, 11:33:38 AM
...well....

Would a 18cm difference (between hull length of the M48 and that of the M60) be noticeable with the M1 turret on top?

In addition to the new turret (from the M1 or otherwise), add sideskirts and somthing like this (of all the attempts to up-armour the M48 hull, this seemed to be the only one that added to the frontal protection):

====================

To-do list here

General Zod

When(if)the Hobby Boss Super pershing comes out,I plan on adding a long 105mm to it
Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

dy031101

Originally posted in the M6 Heavy thread, I figured that this question might be more appropriate here......

Are the ammunitions of the T15 gun (on the M26A1E2 Super Pershing) interchangeable with those of the M3 (on the plain-vanilla Pershing)?

====================

To-do list here

russcal

Quote from: dy031101 on June 07, 2009, 12:45:09 PM
Originally posted in the M6 Heavy thread, I figured that this question might be more appropriate here......

Are the ammunitions of the T15 gun (on the M26A1E2 Super Pershing) interchangeable with those of the M3 (on the plain-vanilla Pershing)?

Simply put, no. The T15 (same reference calls it the T15E1 and the T15E2) gun used separate loading ammunition. The regular M26 armed with the 90mm M3 gun used one piece ammo. The M26A1 update introduced the 90mm M3A1 gun which was similar in performance to the T15 gun, but used one piece ammo. This gun also had a bore evacuator and muzzle brake. This gun and automotive upgrades became the M46.

Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes

dy031101

There have been many instances where T-54/55 were modified to use parts and components from the M48/60 to bring increased combat potential and logistical commonality......

What if some M48/60 user should for any reason turn to Russia, Ukraine, and/or Poland for new generation of tanks and decide to bring the US-made tanks to the same standard?  Like re-arming with the 125mm gun, Eastern-bloc FCS, or, in case of the M48, even a new turret altogether?  Re-engining with a non-Western product?

Ukraine used to market this one, M60 making extensive use of T-84 Yatagan components.  I don't suppose it would have been a problem to use the 125mm-gun-armed Oplot turret......?

Or use turret and other items from Black Eagle or whatever replacement Russia has come up with.

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

A question I've had in mind since I began modelling Arc's Sun Yat-Sen tank......

Are the main gun of the M47 and that of the M48 the same weapon adopted for different turrets, or did the M48 possess an improved main gun compared to the M47?

====================

To-do list here

jcf

Quote from: dy031101 on December 13, 2009, 05:42:00 PM
A question I've had in mind since I began modelling Arc's Sun Yat-Sen tank......

Are the main gun of the M47 and that of the M48 the same weapon adopted for different turrets, or did the M48 possess an improved main gun compared to the M47?

New gun, M41 versus M36 in the M47.

dy031101

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 13, 2009, 08:44:04 PM
New gun, M41 versus M36 in the M47.

I remember seeing pictures of M47 possessing a main gun equipped with a muzzle brake similar in style to that of 90mm gun M41.

Did any appreciable performance difference exist?

====================

To-do list here

ysi_maniac

Quote from: apophenia on March 23, 2009, 07:30:05 PM
Quote from: Sauragnmon on January 07, 2009, 01:32:31 AM
I had a concept ... of the Leopard 2 turret and some armor upgrades mated onto the M-60...

Older post, I know, but the two Bundeswehr M48s with Leopard 2 turrets are similar to this concept.
Love this concept! :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.