Pershing and Patton Family of MBT (M26, M46, M47, M48, M60, and M103)

Started by GTX, January 06, 2009, 11:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: dy031101 on December 16, 2009, 07:56:59 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 13, 2009, 08:44:04 PM
New gun, M41 versus M36 in the M47.

I remember seeing pictures of M47 possessing a main gun equipped with a muzzle brake similar in style to that of 90mm gun M41.

Did any appreciable performance difference exist?

Late model M36 guns were fitted with the T-shaped deflector. According to Hunnicutt the two guns
had the same ballistic performance, however the later gun was much lighter and had a quick change tube.

dy031101

Quote from: ysi_maniac on December 17, 2009, 03:35:25 PM
Quote from: apophenia on March 23, 2009, 07:30:05 PM
Quote from: Sauragnmon on January 07, 2009, 01:32:31 AM
I had a concept ... of the Leopard 2 turret and some armor upgrades mated onto the M-60...

Older post, I know, but the two Bundeswehr M48s with Leopard 2 turrets are similar to this concept.
Love this concept! :wub:

There are also illustration of M60 hull equipped with the T-21 turret (a lightweight development of Leclerc's turret) here.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Chris707

I'm envisioning an M103 hauling a triple Hawk launcher as a heavier counterpart to the Chapparal - of course you'd have to reengine the thing to ensure any kind of mobility. I'm still contemplating an Americanized Ratte hauling a Nike Hercules or two ;-)

Chris
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.dataviewbooks.com/heavytanks.html

dy031101

Recently I've browsed over info about the predecessors of the Pershing tank, some of which employed the same HVS-type suspension as late model M4 Sherman tank.

I have a hypothetical question...... assuming performance is of no problem, would a HVSS-equipped MBT in anyway benefit from a logistic system previously established for the M4 Sherman tank?

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

I want to find a scenario where excuses for the T23 and/or T-25 to be mass-produced existed but I've also liked the Pershing enough......

Maybe a foreign customers already much impressed with the Sherman...... a few ideas here: T23 with a 17-pounder; T25 with turret ring mounting enlarged to accept the T42 turret; actually I want to think Brazil or someone who would possibly buy tanks from Brazil...... T25 with a MB-3 Tamoyo tank turret would look super-cool IMHO.

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

Does anyone have line drawings for the T25 (HVSS-equipped) tank?

A couple of pictures I found online......

Top: Allegedly this is a movie viz-mod made from a M48 (looking at a few book that I have, it looks more like M60-based).

Middle: M48 with a 152mm Gun-Launcher...... this package is more asthetically-pleasing, IMHO.

Bottom: So this is what the Jordanian M60 upgrade looks like without the ERA blocks.

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

Does anyone have pictures of Iranian-overhaulled M47M that clearly show the glacis part of the tank?

Unlike other upgrades involving the M47, pictures of M47M doesn't seem to have anythings suggesting that there used to be a MG ball mount on the glacis, but I can't figure out clearly.

====================

To-do list here

Just call me Ray

Quote from: dy031101 on January 05, 2010, 06:09:48 PM

Top: Allegedly this is a movie viz-mod made from a M48 (looking at a few book that I have, it looks more like M60-based).

Red Dawn?

It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

dy031101

Quote from: Just call me Ray on January 06, 2010, 01:15:11 PM
Red Dawn?

Again, allegedly (I personally don't know).

Is it really the one we see in the Red Dawn?

====================

To-do list here

ysi_maniac

Quote from: dy031101 on January 05, 2010, 06:09:48 PM
Looking at the small tensor wheel near sproket I would say it is a M47
Will die without understanding this world.

dy031101

Quote from: ysi_maniac on January 06, 2010, 03:07:35 PM
Looking at the small tensor wheel near sproket I would say it is a M47

Oh I neglected that.  Good eyes.

I found it kinda interesting that this vizmod still features a muzzle brake for its gun...... is it like small arms firing blanks?

=================================================================

Upon browsing Wikipedia, I found the article about the ARL-44 tank stating that the French developed their own 90mm gun because "(US-made) 90 mm guns had not been made available by the Allies" by Febuary 1945...... does it mean that any non-US mid- to late-40s tank project calling for a 90mm gun (as the "foreign copy" of T25 I have in mind might have been) would be required to look for a main gun outside of the US?  When was the DCA45 90mm gun ready for export?  Would the French gun have been able to fit into the turret of T25?

====================

To-do list here

chrisonord

After having a read through this thread the other night, I decided to have a root through the bone yard of bits I had.
From 2 scrap and very broken M60's I rebuilt the tracks and wheels, and put the hull back together, then......I added a turret from a Merkava.
This thing has just been botched together until I can get hold of another complete Hull, so the turret is only placed on the hull, but I think it looks ok wouldn't you say??, I will put side skirts and armour on the final product when I do it also.

Cheers,
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

dy031101

Sounds workable.

Actually Merkava at early stages of its development uses M48 turret for tests, didn't it?

====================

To-do list here

Sauragnmon

I say it's a great start, Chris - the whole thing looks pretty interesting I have to admit - the turret gives it a much more modern look as well.  Might just give the front a little more sharp of an angle to go with the rest, as a suggestion.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

chrisonord

I will definitely do a lot more modification to the Hull of the tank, especially the front end and the sides skirts. I think it might spoil the look of the turret if I put some ERA on it so I think I will leave that as is.
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!