DH Venom, Vampire & Swallow

Started by Mossie, January 08, 2009, 06:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on May 24, 2020, 07:07:04 AM

Whoops, been thinking too much about post war aircraft recently. Mind said Goblin, fingers said Avon!  :angel:

Phew, thank goodness for that, I thought I'd had a memory lapse.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Assuming that you could fit it in, an Avon would certainly make a Vampire travel very rapidly. See Wiki data below.

Goblin:-

General characteristics
Type: turbojet engine
Length: 107 in (2,700 mm)
Diameter: 50 in (1,300 mm)
Dry weight: 1,550 lb (700 kg)
Thrust :3,000 lbf (13.34 kN) at 10,200 rpm at sea level

Avon:-

General characteristics
Type: turbojet
Length: 126 in (3,200 mm)
Diameter: 35.7 in (907 mm)
Dry weight: 2,890 lb (1,310 kg)
Thrust:-12,690 lbf (56.4 kN) dry, 16,360 lbf (72.8 kN) with reheat
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

FOUR times the thrust! I'd be in for that.  ;D :thumbsup:

My brain's already mixing an Airfix T11 fuselage with the rear end of a Revell Hunter.  ;)

Well, maybe a FROG or M'box Hunter, the Revell one's too good for that much butchery.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 24, 2020, 07:56:42 AM
FOUR times the thrust! I'd be in for that.  ;D :thumbsup:

My brain's already mixing an Airfix T11 fuselage with the rear end of a Revell Hunter.  ;)

Well, maybe a FROG or M'box Hunter, the Revell one's too good for that much butchery.

Mmmmm.....add a t-tail and you'd start looking at something similar to the Super Venom ? (adding the Hunter wings (or Sea Vixen outer wings))
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Mossie

Good to see a mistake made on the last post before bed can have so much legs!

If you kept the twin boom and single seat it's half a Sea Vixen.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Knightflyer

Quote from: Mossie on May 24, 2020, 11:26:43 AM

Half a Sea Vixen ...Great Idea ...You ought to put it on your Se Vi (think about it, think about it!) ;D :banghead: (this post was written under the influence of 2/3 of a bottle of wine...forgive me!) ;D

Rheged

Quote from: Knightflyer on May 24, 2020, 12:29:53 PM

Half a Sea Vixen ...Great Idea ...You ought to put it on your Se Vi (think about it, think about it!) ;D :banghead: (this post was written under the influence of 2/3 of a bottle of wine...forgive me!) ;D

Scroll down this item :-https://falkeeinsgreatplanes.blogspot.com/2019/07/fleet-air-arm-1962-sea-vixen-flight.html and see the Sea Vixenettes at the Royal Tournament (but you probably already know about these)
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Knightflyer

Quote from: Rheged on May 24, 2020, 12:41:39 PM
Quote from: Knightflyer on May 24, 2020, 12:29:53 PM

Scroll down this item :-https://falkeeinsgreatplanes.blogspot.com/2019/07/fleet-air-arm-1962-sea-vixen-flight.html and see the Sea Vixenettes at the Royal Tournament (but you probably already know about these)

I had come across them, and had to double-check against pictures of real Sea Vixens. You could do a halfway house Vixenette - new nose, new outer wings, high tail-plane. The Sea Venom on it's way to becoming a Vixenette!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on May 24, 2020, 12:41:39 PM

That's most impressive. I've heard about them before but never seen a vid of it actually happening. Someone put in a lot of work on those Sea Venoms foor sure, the 'twin engines' are very realistic etc. but did they actually move under power from their Ghosts?

Regards
Kit

Weaver

The Avon thrust figures quoted are for a later one. The early ones, such as in the Canberra, were putting out about 6,500 to 7,500lb, which is a much more sensible power-upgrade for a Vampire.

Two sticking points concern me:

1. Vampires were notoriously near to the ground, so I wonder if a 20 -inch fuselage stretch to accomodate the Avon is going to result in scraped jetpipes.

2. Vampire air intakes do a pretty sharp swerve inboard in a short distance. That's okay for the Goblin because centrifugals are quite tolerant of poor intake geometry (look at the gyrations that air has to go through to get into a Nene!) but axials are more finicky and the early Avon quite a bit so.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Having had a look at the DH.116 Super Venom, I'm coming to the conclusion that the wings are more like the initial Hunter wings - the original 1067 with the nose intake - and without the streamwise tips.

I really need to find the drawings I'd blown up - I'm sure I know where they are, it's just getting to them - because I'm now thinking of a cross between a Vampire T11 (the Merlin abortion), a Blackbeard P.1067, Hunter tailplanes and a lot of plastic card and P.38.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Knightflyer

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 25, 2020, 05:44:22 AM
Having had a look at the DH.116 Super Venom, I'm coming to the conclusion that the wings are more like the initial Hunter wings - the original 1067 with the nose intake - and without the streamwise tips.

I really need to find the drawings I'd blown up - I'm sure I know where they are, it's just getting to them - because I'm now thinking of a cross between a Vampire T11 (the Merlin abortion), a Blackbeard P.1067, Hunter tailplanes and a lot of plastic card and P.38.

Not a Walther P38 I hope!  ;D (your reply is they should be issued with Unicraft kits! )

The Wooksta!

Halfords P38 car body filler.  It's an epoxy resin substance that's as good as if not better than milliput - it'll cure quicker if you add more catalyst, will polish up as smooth as glass and best of all, if you time it right whilst it's curing you can cut it as easily as soft cheese.  The only real downside is that it stinks to high heaven.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic