DH Venom, Vampire & Swallow

Started by Mossie, January 08, 2009, 06:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on January 09, 2009, 04:18:14 AM
Jon, the Venom with DH.108 wing looks great.  The Sea Venom was a good choice, the exhaust fairing makes for a very pleasant form in plan, resembling the Ho.229.

'Tis good isn't it? A good candidate for an alternative Batplane too.... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Here's a mad one: VSTOL.  :blink:

Replace the Vampire/Venom's engine with a Pegasus-style turbofan (you know, just like that... :rolleyes:). You might want to make the intakes a tad bigger..... The single hot nozzle exhausts in the usual place, but has a 90 deg. thrust deflector, for which the Sea Venom's tail fairing is useful. The cold nozzles go out to clang boxes in much-enlarged booms. For normal flight, they exhaust backwards through the boom, but for VTOL, they go forwards to vertical nozzles in the extended tips of the booms.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Just call me Ray

It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

Mossie

Just had a thought on RP's in the booms.  The booms are in line with the intake edges, so you wouldn't be able to fit them without either redesigning the intake or moving the booms outboard.  Might be a possibility for the Venom/Swallow hybrid if the designers were willing to fiddle with the design.  Another option would to be replace the cannon with retractable housings for the RP's, in a similar way to the Sea Vixen.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on January 10, 2009, 10:22:02 AM
Just had a thought on RP's in the booms.  The booms are in line with the intake edges, so you wouldn't be able to fit them without either redesigning the intake or moving the booms outboard.  Might be a possibility for the Venom/Swallow hybrid if the designers were willing to fiddle with the design.  Another option would to be replace the cannon with retractable housings for the RP's, in a similar way to the Sea Vixen.

RPs?

Naah, go for the 4.5" recoilless guns as on the Gloster P.272 concept drawing.  ;D

Jon

Mossie

Now that'd give an FB version some wallop!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

FOUR 4.5" guns? ? ? ?

Strewth, that's more firepower than a Type 42 destroyer!  :blink:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I gather from the diagram that it's one shot per barrel?  So it's probably not quite as formidable as it looks, the Supermarine 508 in BSP Fighters carries seven rounds for one rifle.

The MoD seemed quite keen on this weapon, there are a few designs kicking around that used.  This weapon would have been the largest calibre gun used on an aircraft IIRC.  4.5" is just over 114mm, a touch larger than the 105mm Howitzer used on later AC-130's. :o

GTX

QuoteThis weapon would have been the largest calibre gun used on an aircraft IIRC.  4.5" is just over 114mm, a touch larger than the 105mm Howitzer used on later AC-130's. Shocked

Not even close:

280 mm recoiless cannon:

or better yet a 356 mm Gerät 104 Münchhausen:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

The Germans struggled mightily to protect the carrier aircraft from the back-blast of these weapons with angled venturi tubes passing though the aircraft at odd angles, thick skin plating etc..., and yet never seemed to latch onto the twin-boom layout as a solution. That gets you back to the De Havilland twin-boomers of course, which is many respects would be ideal RR carriers.

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

jcf

Yep, the flying 'Big Berthe' concepts are amusing but, like many 'napkinwaffe' concepts,
a waste of time and energy as the thing would have been useless in combat.
Tie up a valuable twin-engine bomber airframe for a one-shot cannon?
To fire a single shot that would most likely miss?  :banghead: :banghead:

Jon

Mossie

I can see why they were researched, in an era when guided weapons & rockets were in their infancy.  A weapon that could easily kill a tank or small to medium surface vessel, & more accurate than a bomb might be useful, even if you could only launch a handful.  That depends on it being succesful, of course.

kitbasher

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal7/6301-6400/gal6325-Viper-Drake/00.shtm was flagged up on this forum in June 2007.  Fits the Venom/Vampire/Swallow whif thread, I think.
This thread reminded me of the odd claims in cyberspace that the Vampire was based upon captured German technology, specifically the FW Flitzer.  Patent nonsense as we all know, but it has inspired a cunning plan.
Take one Revell 'Flitzer' and remove forward fuselage.  Add old dH Hornet forward fuselage left over from last year's Gloster Mercury and modified Airfix Canadian Chipmunk canopy (the Hornet one was missing from the box).  Leave to dry and then add some wing tip tanks to Venomise it a bit.  I may take some old and unused Merlin (aaaaaarrrrrrgghhh!!!!!) Vampire NF10 intakes and replace the kit items.
Paint in high altitude Medium Sea Grey/PRU Blue scheme, add 504 Sqn markings and (hopefully) admire from a distance!
Might not work, but there's no harm in trying.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter