DH Venom, Vampire & Swallow

Started by Mossie, January 08, 2009, 06:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Jackson's De Havilland Aircraft since 1909 mentions a plan for Fiat to build the Venom F.B. Mk. 50 as the G.81,
the scheme was shelved and the Italian Air Force only received two British-built machines.

Jon

DarrenP

Would like to have seen Rhodesian, New Zealand or Australian Venoms

Mossie

New Zealand borrowed some for a while for use in Malaya, they were operated by 14 Sqn, never went into full service though.  Can't find a pic but there's one on the box lid of CMK's kit.
http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/korean/preview/cmr/cmr188.htm
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

A Model have just released a Vampire F.1 & a Swiss FB.6.  Just what I've been after for a while! :party:

Hmm, maybe I'll get two F.1's, one in SEAC markings for Nev's Operation Coronet build for Telford, one to cross kit with a Frogspawn Sea Venom to create the PR version mentioned earlier in the thread?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

Cheaper to use a Frog/Novo Vampire for a cross kit project.  The plastic is much thicker and will withstand the sanding more.   They're not that difficult to get either - I picked up a bagged one for a quid at 'uddersfield in January.  And a Frog Sea Venom for the same price!

Alternately, try and get a wreck of a Heller or Frog Vampire or just denavalise the Sea Venom and fit the cameras in the radar nose.

My Vampire PR.1 would have the cameras where the cannons are, the film magazines should fit nicely into the space vacated by the ammo tanks.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Maverick

Sure that's not a four-seater Greg?  If it were a two-seat in tandem, the canopy edges would be moved more towards the centreline of the fuse.

Regards,

Mav

Daryl J.

Mav, it was an initial concept prototype for what eventually became the Grumman Prowler.   Few know that the 4 seat arrangement was a British idea, Scottish actually as they have been the origin of Most Things.
:cheers:,
Daryl J., totally full of it.

Cliffy B

Ooooooo that Venom is NICE!   :wub:

A thought though, how about a bigger tail?  :wacko:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

GTX

Quote from: Maverick on December 11, 2010, 06:11:51 PM
Sure that's not a four-seater Greg?  If it were a two-seat in tandem, the canopy edges would be moved more towards the centreline of the fuse.

Regards,

Mav
Err, how do you know the cockpit isn't offset for better visibility.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Maverick

Beyond the Sea Vixen, I can't think of many aircraft that have an offset canopy for any good reason.

Regards,

Mav

rickshaw

Quote from: Maverick on December 11, 2010, 09:46:12 PM
Beyond the Sea Vixen, I can't think of many aircraft that have an offset canopy for any good reason.

Regards,

Mav

Canberra B(I)8/PR9?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Maverick

Once again, the same idea, pilot on the left & other crewman on the right.  In each case it's a single seat cockpit offset.  Others that aren't are like the B-57, centred on the fuselage.

Regards,

Mav

pyro-manic

Maybe this version was equipped with the 4.5" recoilless gun in the stbd fuselage?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

rickshaw

Quote from: Maverick on December 11, 2010, 10:26:24 PM
Once again, the same idea, pilot on the left & other crewman on the right.  In each case it's a single seat cockpit offset.  Others that aren't are like the B-57, centred on the fuselage.

Regards,

Mav

Ah, but the B-57 required a completely redesigned nose to move the pilot and observer/navigator onto the centreline.  In the B(I)8/PR9 they simply elevated the pilot's seat and gave him a fighter-like canopy.  That way the amount of redesign was kept to a minimum and they didn't have to change the aircraft drastically.  IMO, that counts as a "good reason" to do it that way.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.