DH Venom, Vampire & Swallow

Started by Mossie, January 08, 2009, 06:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Quote from: Knightflyer on May 23, 2020, 08:08:39 AM
For some reason I've a (possibly imaginary!) memory of one of the Australian after-market companies doing one?

Yes indeed, High Planes did as an addition to one of their earlier kits, the F4U-5N Corsair, which had the parts for an "Elephant ears Vampire" as an extra.
I used them to make my Vampire T-35C.
The thread is on the forum way back however the original photos are with Botophucket, but here are some to show you what I am talking about.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

TallEng

The Highplanes conversion kit is what your looking for probably.
See here: https://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-plus-dehavilland-dh-100-vampire-fb-31-conversion-1-72/
I'm assuming your working in 1/72?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

The Wooksta!

You can get away with using a pair of Spitfire mk 9 intakes and grinding back the exhaust a bit.  A mate is bang into Aussie stuff and that's what he did.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Knightflyer

Thanks Gents for your help.

Wooksta - I did think they looked like something else - I shall have to see if anything in the spares box is good enough for Government work!  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

Jim, that's one EVIL looking Vampire!  :-\

Not to be met on a dark night, that's for sure!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Knightflyer on May 23, 2020, 10:09:48 AM
Thanks Gents for your help.

Wooksta - I did think they looked like something else - I shall have to see if anything in the spares box is good enough for Government work!  ;D

The large Aerovee intakes or the ones from underneath the Heller 16 are ideal.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Mossie

A simple conversion would to use the major parts from the Heller Mistral for the Nene and swap the intakes and main wheels from the Vampire.  Add the elephant ears as Lee mentioned.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

That would be a bit easier.  And Mistrals aren't that difficult to find either.

I think there's two different placings.  Early ones had them underneath, the later ones had them on top - or is it early top, late bottom?  And I think there's a Sperry autopilot bulge ahead of the windscreen too.

I'm wrong, as going off those photos Griffon intakes look to be the correct shape.

Sperry autopilot blister

Possibly reshape the strike camera blister from the Beaufighter?

Useful list of serials for RAAF Vampires

Useful photos too
http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/DH-Vampire-A79-1

Oh, I was right about the intakes being underneath too:

You also need to fill the holes on the airbrakes on the Heller Mistral and replace the bang seat in it with something closer to a Vampire bucket seat.  A Spitfire one would suffice at a push.

ANd the RAAF had long and clipped wings too:

Steal the spares from the Special Hobby/Revell/Xtrakit vampire and do that as an FB5.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 20, 2013, 02:35:57 PM
What I meant Lee was what do you plan on using to make the rest of the DH.116 ---  the wings look very similar to the outer wings of the Sea Vixen and the rear fuselage looks like an early Hunter, so along with the Sea Venom forward fuselage you've got most of it covered.  If I was to build one I think I'd use all the middle and rear fusealge of a Hunter T.7 and then modify it a bit.

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 20, 2013, 03:46:07 PM
IIRC, I looked at using some or all of a Matchbox Hunter fuselage and I have plenty of Frog/Novo Sea Vixen wings in the spares box. I did blow up the three view from the BSP Fighters book and played around with bits but didn't get much further than that - some of my projects are glacially slow and it's only four years since I had the idea for a Lancaster/Lincoln/Shackleton hybrid, the Avro Lanchester, that I've actually done any real work on it.

I'd recently remembered I'd considered this build.  I think I'd planned on using the Vampire T11 for the front as it matched the blown up drawings from the first BSP volume.  May start looking at it again when I get the decks cleared of other things.

However, I may start with the abortive Blackbear Hawker P.1067 fuselage (few gash ones as the mould never worked), said Vampire pod, plastic card for the intakes and wing roots and possibly a reshaped Ho 229 for the wing.  If that's done right with splices and wedges and that, it could well fit.  I'd have to think further as there's a few other options for the wing - a Matchbox Hunter one reshaped could work as the intake shape is similar and the plastic is thick enough to withstand some judicious sanding.  I was also reminded that I'd planned on doing a Hawker P.1030 Super Fury, and I do have all the bits sitting there to do it.  And I know that's an easier build.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Mossie

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 23, 2020, 03:54:51 PM
early top, late bottom? 

Yep. I'm sure I read somewhere that the lower intakes were adopted after it was found the upper ones could be occluded at certain angles of attack resulting in several accidents.  Can't find my reference though.

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 23, 2020, 03:54:51 PM

ANd the RAAF had long and clipped wings too:

The long wings were F.30's, the clipped FB.31's.  They also took some Goblin Avon FB.9's from the RAF for use in Malaysia.  Two aircraft were trialed with larger intakes and ejection seats similar to the Mistral. This would have been the FB.32, but it wasn't adopted.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

Mistral in RAAF Markings with standard Vampire wheels (fill the airbrakes) and an MB mk 2 bang seat.  In service mk 32.  Simples.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Avons in a Vampire?  :o :o

I've never heard of that before, I bet they went like stink!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

They didn't have Avons did they? only various versions of Goblins ? Nene's in the Mark.II ?

Mossie

Whoops, been thinking too much about post war aircraft recently. Mind said Goblin, fingers said Avon!  :angel:

Knightflyer

Quote from: Mossie on May 24, 2020, 07:07:04 AM
Whoops, been thinking too much about post war aircraft recently. Mind said Goblin, fingers said Avon!  :angel:

There's a teas-made / make-up joke in there somewhere, but it's tenuous and I'd don't know how many would get the references  ;D