DH Venom, Vampire & Swallow

Started by Mossie, January 08, 2009, 06:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

No, I've got the Heller/Airfix FB.5 that was sent to me by Kit.  He also sent me a Frog Sea Venom fuse for the Ghost, but I think it might be easier to cut & plug the Vampire fuse as the Sea Venom has the added structure & fairing for the tail-hook which would need removing & re-profiling.

What are the A-Model kits like?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

Its nice,  Haven't done any test fitting yet but will later.  I'm not likely to use the Swiss nose - you want it?

Venom - one of my longer term plans is to drop the Aeroclub fuselage pod into rubber as a conversion for the Frog Sea Venom.  I've a Merlin 2 seat Vampire pod I was planning on doing something similar with, as I need it for the DH116 Super Venom project.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

Lee, I've had a look at the nose of the Vampire & it's quite similar to the Meteor, although I'm not sure how much extra gubbins would go with the cameras as they extended the nose of the FR.9/PR.10 slightly.  On that note, I'll take up your offer of the FB.6 nose.

Ta! PM coming.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Can any one tell me what the differences were between the Sea Vampire T.22 and Vampire T.11?  I know the T.22 wasn't carrier capable, but all I can find on the net is "minor modifications", no specifics.  Thinking of turning the Airfix kit into a squiddy one.

PR19_Kit

I think it was only a radio fit, so the T11 kit should suit perfectly.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

In the latest issue of Air-Britain Aeromilitaria (March 2013) there's a photo of a Vampire NF.10, serial WP240, which has an elongated and very pointed nose cone. Like a Sea Vixen's nose, not the Swiss nose type.  It was operated by the TFU Defford and looks like an interesting conversion and simple conversion to do.

Coincidently, there just happens to be an article on the DH.116 in the issue too, with a 3-View and artist impression drawings. It's a neat looking T-Tail ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 14, 2011, 08:30:01 AM
I've a Merlin 2 seat Vampire pod I was planning on doing something similar with, as I need it for the DH116 Super Venom project.

The article I've just read says it was based on a Sea Venom forward fuselage Lee,  what do you plan on using to do the rest of it ?

The Wooksta!

Bob, I honestly cannot remember. It's just the fuselage pod anyway.  Don't know or - given how abysmally cack the vast majority of Merlin kits were - even care where the rest of it went.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitnut617

What I meant Lee was what do you plan on using to make the rest of the DH.116 ---  the wings look very similar to the outer wings of the Sea Vixen and the rear fuselage looks like an early Hunter, so along with the Sea Venom forward fuselage you've got most of it covered.  If I was to build one I think I'd use all the middle and rear fusealge of a Hunter T.7 and then modify it a bit.

The Wooksta!

IIRC, I looked at using some or all of a Matchbox Hunter fuselage and I have plenty of Frog/Novo Sea Vixen wings in the spares box. I did blow up the three view from the BSP Fighters book and played around with bits but didn't get much further than that - some of my projects are glacially slow and it's only four years since I had the idea for a Lancaster/Lincoln/Shackleton hybrid, the Avro Lanchester, that I've actually done any real work on it.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 19, 2013, 06:32:43 AM
I think it was only a radio fit, so the T11 kit should suit perfectly.

Thanks Kit! :thumbsup:

Weaver

Huge article here, with loads of pics, about the Jetcraft business jet project which was based on the Vampire:

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/444/language/fr-FR/Vampires-of-Las-Vegas.aspx

Dodgy as hell, but interesting and full of whiff-fodder in both the idea and the back story.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Knightflyer

Hi

Couple of questions for the more experienced and knowledgeable amongst you (or those that just want to wade in as well ......)  ;D

1) Does anyone have suggestions on the best / easiest way to manufacture the 'elephant ears' on the F.2 or FB.Mk.30 Is there an after market conversion?

2) The FB.9 has a different intake arrangement on one side because of the air conditioning unit (?) Can anyone point me in the way of a clear photograph of this?

thanks

Kevin
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

Port side

Starboard side

You can see the difference in the length of the intake diverter in both views. The extra bit on the starboard side seems to have been added on over the top of a standard intake.

I'd file the extra intakes from a couple of pieces of sprue I reckon. I don't know of anyone doing  a conversion though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Hi Kit

Those photos for the Mk.9 are brilliant thanks - nice and clear and obvious - just the way I like them! ;D

The concave curve extending forward from the intake would be interesting to replicate, but at least I now know what it looks like

The conversion option was more in regards to the Mk.2 / Mk.30 'elephant ears' For some reason I've a (possibly imaginary!) memory of one of the Australian after-market companies doing one?
Oh to be whiffing again :-(