Review: American Secret Projects Fighters and Interceptors

Started by Chris707, January 08, 2009, 09:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris707

I picked up a copy of this book as a Christmas present for myself, and it _certainly_ met my considerable expectations, and them some. I'm as big a fan of Luft'46 as the next fellow, but a lot of that was really back of the envelope stuff that designers were churning out just to keep from being sent to fight the Russians; ie not a lot of hope that metal would actually be cut. The material in American Secret Projects: Fighters and Interceptors can be exotic at times, but represents types that could well have flown had contracts been issued to different companies, or if requirements had changed. No UFO type stuff here! This is a great book, just jammed with information and illustrations.

How to illustrate a book about aircraft that didn't make it to the hardware stage? Well, many of these types did exist in form of manufacturer's models, and these are depicted in page after page of photos, often shot from multiple angles to give you a better sense of what a design would have looked like in 1:1 scale. there are also _many_ 3--views! I've seen a '_few_ of the illustrations and models before, but they were generally in form of tiny reproductions in 1950s/60s magazines, without any context.

Projects in this book positively scream out to be modeled by an ambitious kitbasher or resin kit producer - the swept-wing F3D Skyknight development, naval F-104, and the P-530 Cobra all need to be available in kit form - are you listening, Anigrand?

full review and rundown at:

http://aviationheritage.blogspot.com

thanks

Chris

PR19_Kit

Chris,

It is rather addictive, isn't it?

Mr Buttler has to be THE fave Whiffer's author these days, all his books are veritable mine of information, or at least ideas for us anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Scooterman

I can agree wholeheartedly with Chris.  I too just picked this book up and there are a TON of killer ideas to be had.  I'm drooling over the single engined F7U Cutlass offered to the USAF.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: from Scooterman!

Daryl J.

The British Secret Projects series is great too.   It shows just how incrediblely resourceful the Brits were/are and in many ways seem to smoke us Yanks.   :bow: :bow: :bow:

Hopefully the Russian SPF&I gets to show up for you too someday.

Daryl J.

Mossie

's great!  I'm particularly waiting for the Bombers volume, Secret Projects gives a possible date of Autumn 2009.  I've got a feeling there will be some special ones in there.....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Taiidantomcat

Have you seen this one already Daryl?

http://www.amazon.com/Soviet-Secret-Projects-Fighters-Since/dp/1857802217/ref=pd_bbs_sr_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231579135&sr=8-7

Great books indeed, So many cool things in the Brit fighters book i had to start writing them down with little descriptions to keep them all straight!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

GTX

All the Secret Projects series (yes I have all of them :wacko:) are great - especially for whiffers!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ElectrikBlue

Quote from: GTX on January 10, 2009, 10:14:43 AM
All the Secret Projects series (yes I have all of them :wacko:) are great - especially for whiffers!
Regards,
Greg

Agree! Thanks to Mossie who told me about the 'Secret Project' series a few days ago, I have now 5 volumes.
Great designs on British Secret Projects bombers & fighters (Hawker Siddeley, Fairey), a little less on the Soviet volumes.

EB

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Daryl J.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on January 09, 2009, 03:30:28 PM
's great!  I'm particularly waiting for the Bombers volume, Secret Projects gives a possible date of Autumn 2009.  I've got a feeling there will be some special ones in there.....

Mossie,

It says here that it's available now, or did I misread what you meant?

http://www.amazon.com/Soviet-Secret-Projects-Bombers-Since/dp/1857801946/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lancer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 10, 2009, 11:38:12 AM
Quote from: Mossie on January 09, 2009, 03:30:28 PM

Mossie,

It says here that it's available now, or did I misread what you meant?

http://www.amazon.com/Soviet-Secret-Projects-Bombers-Since/dp/1857801946/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a

It's available Kit, I've had a copy for the last couple of years. Brilliant book.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Scooterman

ChernayaAkula

I really like the design of the canard bomber on the cover of British Secret Projects 3: Fighters and Bombers 1935-1950. Very cool! Bashing two Shacks....  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?