Under Weigh! Way!

Started by Doc Yo, January 12, 2009, 08:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Yo

This is starting to consume me...while chopping on my old 'SeaMaster' ( to be re-built as my feckless little
brother's Black Swordfish), I started thinking about the stories of the grand and grisly days of the
air-pirates of the Carribean*...and did some more cutting on an old 737 that I'm going to turn into the
WIG of the villanous, voluptuous, and viscous, er, viscious... Hagfish, and the Wyvern floatplane of
the mysterious Dr. Luska...Pictures will show up in a month or so....

* Best read on the subject is "Crimson Skies over Blue Mountains" by P.D. Wrestler, Sub-Arctic University Press,

puddingwrestler

Wait a minute, I don't remember writing that sixteen years before I was born...  must have been a time warp or something...

So, will it have boarding planks and a crows nest?
And does this mean the GB has started? Cause if it does, I should go dig out something to build!
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Doc Yo

Quote from: puddingwrestler on January 12, 2009, 01:36:33 PM
Wait a minute, I don't remember writing that sixteen years before I was born...  must have been a time warp or something...

So, will it have boarding planks and a crows nest?
And does this mean the GB has started? Cause if it does, I should go dig out something to build!

Beacuse of the Temporal Restraining Order, all I'm at liberty to to say, is, thanks to my nefarious younger
brother, you've got a great future behind you...

( Out of character for a moment, the general concept was inspired by your San Torta stories-which
    I know you linked over at SSM, but which I can't find atthe moment...)

Boarding planks, probably on the Hagfish's WIG...

As for the GB start...not sure, I just wanted to display my enthusiasm.

puddingwrestler

Younger brother?? This is getting so much more complex! I have but one brother (the frog ridden one!) who is older...

As to the tales you refer to - the Scarlett Sloth, Sentinel of the Skyways is available for reading here!

And no, the great Zepplin Robbery is not yet done. But I have started the infamous final tale in the saga, in which a desperate Svensenn and San Churro publications attempts to revive the Sloth's pre war popularity in the late 1950s Sputnik craze by freezing him ala Buck Rogers and having him regain conciousness in the far future... although by that time constant atomic wars have dried up the seas, and as a result no seaplanes... sigh...

You're post got me thinking about pirate flying boats myself - All I have is a Supermarine Walrus, which could I suppose be a sort of piratical aero-jolly boat, what I really need is a Short Sunderland armed with broadsides of 18 pounder round-shot slinging cannon!
Exits muttering.

lancer

Quote from: puddingwrestler on January 12, 2009, 07:31:34 PM
You're post got me thinking about pirate flying boats myself - All I have is a Supermarine Walrus, which could I suppose be a sort of piratical aero-jolly boat, what I really need is a Short Sunderland armed with broadsides of 18 pounder round-shot slinging cannon!
Exits muttering.

Have you been talking to Radish??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

puddingwrestler

No... the closest I came to that was chopping leaks for dinner last night... why do you ask?

And my dear doctor, have you considered fitting parasite fighters? I find they lend a jaunty air to any project. Also, a hisotrical survey of the Scarlett Sloth has been posted http://here

Doc Yo

Quote from: puddingwrestler on January 13, 2009, 02:18:58 PM
No... the closest I came to that was chopping leaks for dinner last night... why do you ask?

And my dear doctor, have you considered fitting parasite fighters? I find they lend a jaunty air to any project. Also, a hisotrical survey of the Scarlett Sloth has been posted http://here

Ah, thats what  Iwas looking for...the history of San Torta! ( Did not realize it was so far south in the
Atlantic...hmm.)

Parasite fighters?! Well, there might be room for a couple of them on the Black Swordfish...Have to see
if I can find a couple of 1/144 F-102s or something else suitable...

By the way, you could scale-o-traumatize that Walrus-get some 1/144 sub fittings ( bound to be some out there )
or go completely off the wall and get some of the Trumpeter 1/350 inter-war Carrier fighters...

puddingwrestler

Hmmmm... you have a point - I've got ICM's 1/144 Type XXIII boat somewhere, although I was thinking of building it as a submarine...
Also, I think I will build the Walrus in 72nd as a small pirate cutter. I'll have a shot at finiding something bigger to operate as mother ship. Possibly a zepplin...

So... anything actually happening to styrene yet?

Doc Yo

Quote from: puddingwrestler on January 16, 2009, 01:35:11 PM

So... anything actually happening to styrene yet?

Not much since last weekend, but I'll probably putty the wings on the BS*, and see to the hull on the Hagfish this
weekend ( Three days-Monday is a Holiday. Whoo-Hoo! ) I may even start the Wyvern.

* Not the usual BS, mind you...did I mention its getting a wing extension, and a "w" planform? I'm using
  sections from an academy B-52 ( Great kit, lotsa ordnance ) for the inner, forward swept sections...should
  have just scratch built 'em-its not the best match-but I'll thrash it into shape.

EDIT: Feb. 13  I have been working, but taking pictures is always a bit problematic...

puddingwrestler

My dear Doctor Yo, I really must insist that you supply photographic evidence of your latest machinations or I will be forced to invade your secret base with an army of cybernetically enhanced gorillas, and not even your much vaunted electro-penuamatically actuated and steam impelled brass bathysphere will be able to help you then.

Your fellow mad scientist,
Herr Professor Doktor Von Pudinnschwrestlerenberg,
Kaiser Willhem Memorial Mad Science Insitute and Tea-Cozy Collector's Collective.

Doc Yo

You forget that all the girls know the Dong Chop school of Kung Fu, the lab is surrounded by a banana plantation,
and...wait, thats all Heupolius's stuff.*

Believe me, I am profoundly frustrated. My photographic assistant has been profoundly lax in posting my
pix, even though I returned his camera to him two months ago, and gave him my prized Kotobukiya Coelocanth
on top of it. Still, good turns come when I least expect them, and as I damn sure aim to make a showing in
this here build, I'll see what I can do.

* My Australian colleague is apparently confusing me with my younger brother, Wen Heupolious Yo, who,
    sadly, pursues a life of crime and debauchery.

Doc Yo

Some months later, and I've picked up the builds again, but am no closer to having a working digital camera...
The fellow I was hoping would turn into a stalwart pillar of my modest efforts has...not met my expectations.
Still, the Swordfish is close to finished, the Hagfish is next in line, and the Wyvern...well, its a simple enough
conversion, and I've already altered ( three months ago ) the height of the float.

There is a glimmer of light on the horizon, as my wife ( who handles all the family finances ) assures me we
have the means to get a new computer, and I think adding a new camera to the build won't strain the
relationship....too much.

Gad this is exasperating.

Doc Yo

Believe it or not, two of the three builds I started for this GB are near completion, I have a camera, and pictures
should appear within a fortnight. ( Thats about two weeks, isn't it? )

Doc Yo

Well, maybe a fifthnight. ..Black Swordfish!

Duck!

This is just a bit of a teaser-the Sinister Sand Tiger of the hideous Hagfish is pretty much finished,
   and the Float Wyvern of Dr. Lusca is back on the bench. More later.

( Aside to Puddingwrestler-the Swordfish does have a parasite fighter, and two parasite mini-subs, just
   haven't attached 'em yet. Sorry to keep you waiting. )

Brian da Basher

This is just too good not to post a pic of for all to see:

That's one of the most pleasing and streamlined aircraft shapes I've seen! Excellent, Dr Yo!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher