Without fail
19 (46.3%)
When it suites me
17 (41.5%)
not important to me
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Eddie M.

I'm curious as to how many of us wet sands our work, real or whif, to prepare for the final finish. There is no wrong answer to me because I range the whole spectrum, but lately have been doing it more and more, in search of the perfect finish...... :o  ;D
Look behind you!

BlackOps

I try avoid sanding as much as possible! I do both, I usually do wet sanding when I have a bigger area that needs a little extra something, but I too have been doing it more often lately.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

puddingwrestler

Generally only on cars. Everything else I weather so much that the perfection of the finish would be lost anyway.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

pyro-manic

Not as yet. But when I start on some of the resin kits I have, I will definitely be wet-sanding. Don't want that stuff airborne....
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

I routinely wet sand, although the motivation is more about getting better mileage out of the paper than "perfect" finish.... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Scooterman

I voted without fail but I have a habit of attacking plastic without then realizing that FECK! I was too aggressive and should be wet sanding and taking my time. :banghead:

cthulhu77

all the time. I like it wet.

Ed S

Mostly wet sanding, but I do dry sand for a quick touch up or repair.  Wet sanding is much better especially if sanding a painted or primed model, the sandpaper doesn't clog up as fast.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

PR19_Kit

I wet sand 99.9% of the time.

Occasionally something just heeds a quick flash over and then I don't, but usually I have a bowl of water on the work bench the whole time.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

B777LR

I wet sand as much as possible. My dad has lost the wet sanding paper last year, so now i have to resort to dry sanding with rough sand paper, and only doing final touches with wet sand.

Brian da Basher

Wet sanding is far too at odds with my caveman building style.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

noxioux

I prefer wet sanding for the simple reason that the sanpaper lasts about a million times as long as without.  But I find that a nice, smooth surface is really beneficial no matter what kind of finish you're looking for.  Even a heavily weathered bird will look better if she's smooth before the paint goes on.  IMHO.

Daryl J.

Rather than using 1200 grit, I wet sand with the grey abrasive Brillo pads that equate to triple ot steel wool.   Two pads have lasted about a decade with some 80 percent of the pad remaining.   Not bad for value, eh?

Daryl J.

Weaver

On a similar note, what range of grits do you all use?

I generally start with a 400 or 600 and then go straight to 1500, the latter being the finest I could buy locally. I've got 240 but I only really use it for gross shape changing, rather than smoothing down. For instance, If I want to remove a few mm from the joint face of a part, then I put it on a flat piece of 240 and "scrub" it around....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on January 13, 2009, 05:33:11 PM
On a similar note, what range of grits do you all use?

100 micron down to 9 micron for finishing films, 30 micron to 1 micron in polishing papers depending on what I'm working on. ;)

Jon