Can anyone provide details of:

Started by uk 75, January 16, 2004, 04:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

Regarding the A-X program, I came across this entry on the listing of Kingston V/STOL projects on http://www.harrier.org.uk :

HS.1176; Harrier development; 1 Pegasus 9, Pegasus 15 later; Brochures Produced; 1966-69; Offered to USAF for A-X specification

It would be interesting to see drawings of these studies.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Tophe

QuoteRegarding the A-X program
Dear uk75,
I received yesterday this E-mail from my Belgian friend Paul :
> I saw that in the whatifmodels forum
> someone ( uk75) is looking for more info
> of the AX contenders.
> I have info of the Grumman, Lockheed and Cessna
> proposals. Perhaps I can send it to you so that you
> eventualy can provide  uk75 with the info?
Paul would probably be a member if that would be free, but he is welcome as a guest, of course. Several fans of aircraft projects are not modellers and they come here just to see interesting posts (Deino & Overscan are probably their favorites among us). My friend Libellula has registered I think, while not being a modeller either.
Well, for Paul and the AX program, what do we do ? 2 ways :
1- I ask Paul to send me the data (by post as he has no scanner), than I scan them and post them here
2- I give uk-75 Paul's E-mail address and they will exchange data directly, before uk75 post something here
Which way ?

PS. What is the meaning of your 75 code, dear uk75 ? Birth year, graduation year, Squadron No ?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Libelula

Hi Tophe :cheers:

I'm alive but very busy this days because of family affaires.
I have all that pics and info and I have a pretty scan. Please let me a couple of days and I'll post it all for UK75. (next 29/01/2004)

All the best my Friends! :tornado:  

overscan

Please do- I'm very interested too ;)
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Joe C-P

QuoteA-51 Mustang Enforcer
One site about the Enforcer

Image thereof:

Looks like one could use a late-model model, replacing the prop, rebuilding the fuselage, and adding the tip tanks and bomb/rocket racks.

Of course the USAF didn't want it; it's not pointy-zoomy.  :f16: And they won't let the Army play with fixed-wing. Some days I think the USAF should still be the USAAC.  <_<  
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Ollie

I know Heritage makes a conversion for one in 1/48, maybe they have one in 1/72 too.

:wub:  :cheers:  

Captain Canada

I absolutely love the Piper Enforcer........if anybody does know of a 72nd scale kit, lemme know !

Imagine how cool a flight of them would look and sound !

Wicked.........
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

elmayerle

QuoteI absolutely love the Piper Enforcer........if anybody does know of a 72nd scale kit, lemme know !
Didn't Pegasus or someone do one?  I could swear I've seen one out there.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Tophe

QuoteOne site about the Enforcer

Yes, but this article confirms my own archives : Cavalier Turbo-Mustang III then Piper PA-48 Enforcer, no Cavalier A-51 Enforcer... Could Ves tell us his version ? Thanks a lot !
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Libelula

From my sources I have found the following AX contenders

Boeing and Lockheed: le Fana de L’Aviation Nº384 (November 2001). It is taken from the Northrop YA-9 article in page 44 to 50. Author Alexis Rocher.

Lockheed: from Lockheed’s Skunk Works (pg 205). The First Fifty Years. Jay Miller. Aerofax. ISBN 1-85780-016-8.

Cessna: from A-37/T-37 Dragonfly in action. Aircrft Number 114. Squadron/Signal publications.By Terry Love, Don Greer and Joe Sewell. ISBN 0-89747-239-X.

In excellent Alexis Rocher article from Le Fana we are informed that at the initial stages of the program (started in 1967), a turboprop was favoured (Grumman and Cavalier options) but later the turbofan option proved superior.
Boeing offered two competing designs (turboprop from Vertol Division (Illustrated) and jet from Boeing Military Airplane Division (Unfortunately I have no drawing)). The vertol design is a relative to the XV-15 tiltrotor but without tiltrotor configuration.

From “Enciclopedia Ilustrada de la Aviación” I read the following about the AX:
March 1967: 21 manufacturers requested for proposals
May 1970: 12 manufacturers selected as possible contenders
August 1970: Proposals from Boeing, Cessna, Fairchild, General Dynamics, Lockheed and Northrop
December 1970: Northrop and Fairchild awarded with A-9 and A-10 contracts

I have no pics from Boeing MA Division and General Dynamics and I don’t know which were the identity of those bidders rejected before the May 1970 selection other than Grumman and Cavalier.

I must say that I have a drawing from the Grumman OV-1 derivative to AX contest but I can’t find it by the moment. I will dive again into my archives. I will also email my Dear Friend Paul for help. I think it was a pic in International Air Power Review Vol.7 but I lent this mag to a friend.

My contribution to this subject will end after publishing the Grumman design so I will be happy to learn more with other members contributions!!

As an extra I enclose the evaluation aircraft for the unbuilt A-10N/AW all weather derivative.

Libelula

Libelula

Libelula

Libelula

Libelula