Can anyone provide details of:

Started by uk 75, January 16, 2004, 04:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libelula

Libelula

Fairchild Development Prototype for A-10N/AW. This interesting configuration could be aplyed to hypotetical A-9N/AW if anyone want to buid a very exclusive model. Just let fly your imagination! :f16:  

Libelula

The B1 won the competition to find a replacement for the B52/B70. Did any companies apart from Rockwell?

VSTOL Grumman Mohawk?

Dear Ralph,

in my next post (just let me a week to research into my archives) I'll show you information and pics about AMSA and other US Bomber studies and were to find information about it in books and magazines.

I will show a pic of the proposed VSTOL Mohawk as well.

All the best for aerospace and marine enthusiasts :cheers: !!

Antonio

uk 75

Wow!  Many thanks and some background!

I took the UK 75 name to describe my core interest which is "what-if" forces in the mid-70s assuming the various projects planned in the 60s came about.  This started with the UK (RAF with TSR2s, RN with CVA01 etc) but has developed to include US, Canadian, German what-ifs (USN ships with Typhon and Mauler, MBT 70 tanks in the US Army, Boeing F111s instead of GD F111s).

I have to own up to not being a modeller. My efforts when I was a kid in the 60s (my abortive Airfix F111 in green/grey RAF colors) were v poor and led me towards collecting diecast aircraft instead. With increasing age and some money I have developed this more widely and buy manufacturers' display models and have also had some kits made up for me. I am thus v appreciative of the skills of people on this site.

The info you have provided on the AX project is simply not available in any form elsewhere and I for one will find it invaluable to add to my bulging files of reference.  I leave writing books to the likes of Tony Buttler, who are professionals.

Hope this is of interest

Ralph Morton aka UK75

elmayerle

QuoteFairchild Development Prototype for A-10N/AW. This interesting configuration could be aplyed to hypotetical A-9N/AW if anyone want to buid a very exclusive model. Just let fly your imagination! :f16:
If one was going to do a N/AW version of the A-9, the Taiwanese AT-3 trainer should provide a good guide.  It was designed with Northrop's assistance (*rolls eyes* you should hear some of the stories) and greatly resembles the Northrop entry in the T-45 competition and shows a family resemblance to the A-9.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Tophe

Thanks, these ones are great ! I guess the Lockheed ones could be built from U-2 kits, but the Cessna would need scratch from almost zero... Never seen something like that. :wub:  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

elmayerle

The Cessna one matches the description I heard of it - a flatiron with wings and tail.

retro_seventies

good luck with that spifire/spiteful idea wooks...i was toying with (ie, idly lying on the bed listening to jethro tull whilst contemplating the contents of my navel) the idea of a turboprop firefly...maybe a single mamba? would be a nice CAS for that bush war idea that  i keep toying with....

not that they would need a turpoprop firefly with the wyvern...

sort of a stillborn one that i fear.

ah well.

back to the pinot noir and my navel.

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Tophe

QuoteMerlin kits
Merlin's Me 309 was rather nice
And what about a Me 309 modified to house a Merlin engine ? :wacko:
The 109 did it, as the Spanish Butchon, the Fiat G-55 DB became G-59 Merlin, etc...
(Though I prefer the DB nose shape, with a more central axis and no big scoop, and the Spitfire DB and Hurricane DB were rather beautiful, but what-if...?)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

elmayerle

QuoteMerlin kits
Merlin's Me 309 was rather nice
And what about a Me 309 modified to house a Merlin engine ? :wacko:
The 109 did it, as the Spanish Butchon, the Fiat G-55 DB became G-59 Merlin, etc...
(Though I prefer the DB nose shape, with a more central axis and no big scoop, and the Spitfire DB and Hurricane DB were rather beautiful, but what-if...?)
How about a Griffon instead of a Merlin?

Captain Canada

QuoteFairchild Development Prototype for A-10N/AW. This interesting configuration could be aplyed to hypotetical A-9N/AW if anyone want to buid a very exclusive model. Just let fly your imagination! :f16:
Oh yeah.......like a twin-Pegasus powered VTOL NAW !

How cool would that be ?!

:P  :wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Libelula

Dear Ralph,

Here it is the promised Grumman AX proposal from AW&ST December 1969 delivered from my good friend Paul.

I have almost finished my compilation about SAC bomber development from B-70 to B-2. Next weekend It will be ready for upload here.

Cheers!

Antonio

overscan

QuoteRegarding the A-X program, I came across this entry on the listing of Kingston V/STOL projects on http://www.harrier.org.uk :

HS.1176; Harrier development; 1 Pegasus 9, Pegasus 15 later; Brochures Produced; 1966-69; Offered to USAF for A-X specification

It would be interesting to see drawings of these studies.
According to Tony Buttler:

HS.1176

Similar to Harrier, but 10% enlarged intake for 24,500lb Pegasus 9D.
Proposed in partnership with Allied Systems to the US DOD for possible use by the USAF as a rapid response strike aircraft. Strengthened pylons carried a typical external load of 6,000lb, overload 10,000lb for MTOW of 27,300lb. More advanced versions were suggested.
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

overscan

While not being AX contenders, my thread here-

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...?showtopic=2232

has several alternative Russian designs for their own "Shturmovik" Su-25 which make interesting comparison.
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

elmayerle

QuoteDear Ralph,

Here it is the promised Grumman AX proposal from AW&ST December 1969 delivered from my good friend Paul.

I have almost finished my compilation about SAC bomber development from B-70 to B-2. Next weekend It will be ready for upload here.

Cheers!

Antonio
Hmmm, looks like a single-seat Mohawk with larger engines (T55's instead of T53's?).  Very aesthetically appealing aircraft.