Lockheed B-30 Connie bomber

Started by Brian da Basher, January 14, 2009, 04:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

That model and backstory left me all starry eyed.

Nice one Brian.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ed :cheers:
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

kitnut617

That's wonderful Brian, I really like this one.  :bow:

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

But....but......but.....but it doesn't have spats ?!?

Nice build, BdaB ! I love that camo as well, and the scalloped edges are a real nice touch. I didn't notice the new rudders until you mentioned them ! Neat idea !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

Wow, when you said you were working on a Connie bomber, I don't know what I expected but this really blew me away!  I think it's the overall composition---the way everything comes together so well: those tailfins are perfect, the gun blisters sublime and the faded paint scheme just looks so right!   :thumbsup:   :wub:

Honestly, this is one of those concepts that just leaps out at me and screams "Why am I not as clever?!"    :bow:   :bow:   :bow:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sotoolslinger

Absolutely beautiful Brian. That is one of the sexiest bombers ever. :wub: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

BlackOps

:thumbsup: Another great build B! This looks quite like it should!  :bow:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

jcf

For them what's curious about the real world design.

Lockheed Model 249: proposed bomber version with four 2,200 hp Wright R-3350-13s which became the XB-30-LO. Armament consisted of ten 0.50-in machine-guns and one 20mm cannon in two dorsal turrets, two ventral, one nose and one tail turret; bombload 16,000 lb (7,257 kg). Maximum speed of 382 mph at 25,000 ft (625 km/h at 7,620 m) and a range of 5,000 miles (8,045 km) with 6,000 lb (2,722 kg) of bombs were predicted. A contract to prepare preliminary engineering data in competition with Boeing (XB-29), Douglas (XB-31) and Consolidated (XB-32) was awarded on 27 June, 1940, but Lockheed later withdrew.
- Lockheed Aircraft since 1913, Rene J Francillon, 1987, Putnam/Naval Institute Press

Lloyd S. Jones includes a 3-view he drew in his classic U.S. Bombers book, the two photos Brian posted of the XB-30 model are from Lloyd's book and are of a model he constructed. Jones constructed models of almost all of the 'unbuilt' "B" types for his book.

Jon

Mossie

Lovely job Bri!  Kind of reminds of a Fw Condor.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Great stuff Brian - Like Mossie I think she looks a little Germanic, but something by Junkers ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac

Connie FOREVER!  :thumbsup:

I love this concept :wub: :wub: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

Mike Wren

another very nice model from the Brian production line  :wub:

Deon

Cool.. she looks good in iniform!
'...please, tell me where to put it..?'

'do nothing except that which is necessary or beautiful' (Marcus Aurelius)..well I've got the 'do nothing' bit sorted...

upnorth

Quote from: Mossie on January 15, 2009, 04:11:35 AM
Lovely job Bri!  Kind of reminds of a Fw Condor.

That's exactly what I was thinking! Would they have the same fatigue problems the Condor had?

At any rate, that's great work Brian!
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

PR19_Kit

Quote from: upnorth on January 15, 2009, 06:49:39 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking! Would they have the same fatigue problems the Condor had?

I'd think that was unlikely.

The Condor had a tail-wheel landing gear and a thin, parallel fuselage, whereas the B-30 has a nose wheel and a curved and deeper fuselage. Without the high bending moment on landing the rear fuselage failures that the Condor suffered ought to be minimised.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit