Main Menu

P-86

Started by ysi_maniac, January 15, 2009, 05:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: B787 on January 15, 2009, 07:28:10 AM
USAAF `46 sounds credible too :thumbsup: The F-86 only got its sweep after the USAF got hold of some Luftwaffe research :thumbsup:

Its not that simple.
The German swept-wing research was quickly accepted because it was confirmation of independent
wing sweep research done by R.T. Jones of NACA before any of the German research became available.

Jones also worked on low-aspect ratio tailless and semi-delta wing concepts at NACA in the early forties,
his swept wing research was an outgrowth of that work.

NAA, Boeing etc were aware of the NACA work done by Jones.

Jon

Sisko

Nice kit bash!

Can't wait to see this painted.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

John Howling Mouse

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Well, there goes my current project!  I have been figuring out where to cut in order to combine the straight wings of an F-84G Thunderjet onto an F-86 Sabre (mine is called an F-85 SabreCat).   And Captain Canada just had the same concept last night.   Group Build!!!

Nice job so far, ysi_maniac!

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

ysi_maniac

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 16, 2009, 03:19:40 PM
Quote from: B787 on January 15, 2009, 07:28:10 AM
USAAF `46 sounds credible too :thumbsup: The F-86 only got its sweep after the USAF got hold of some Luftwaffe research :thumbsup:

Its not that simple.
The German swept-wing research was quickly accepted because it was confirmation of independent
wing sweep research done by R.T. Jones of NACA before any of the German research became available.

Jones also worked on low-aspect ratio tailless and semi-delta wing concepts at NACA in the early forties,
his swept wing research was an outgrowth of that work.

NAA, Boeing etc were aware of the NACA work done by Jones.

Jon

Hi Jon,
But Straight Wing Sabre really existed as a paper (even model) project, independently of Fury (which was not that elegant) :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

I love it Carlos, a refined Fury.  In Squadron's Sabre in Action there's a couple of photos of a straight winged Sabre/Fury.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Quote from: ysi_maniac on January 17, 2009, 06:48:40 AM

Hi Jon,
But Straight Wing Sabre really existed as a paper (even model) project, independently of Fury (which was not that elegant) :thumbsup:

The XP-86 NA-140) evolved from a design similar to the FJ-1(NA-134), changes included a lengthening
and slimming of the fuselage and moving part of the fuel to the wings. The change to a swept wing
for the NA-140 was proposed in August 1945.

Jon

The Rat

I've never really bought into the idea that we got all our marvellous post-war technology from Germany. We did some damned fine engineering ourselves, and they could have learned things from us as well. Some of it merely confirmed what was already known, like the aerodynamics of the Convair Tradewind's hull for instance, the studies of the Bv222 didn't add anything. It's really all a myth IMHO.

But I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll leave it there. Perhaps another discussion somewhere else would be enlightening though.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr