Steampunk LSR

Started by Weaver, January 17, 2009, 02:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on January 26, 2009, 10:15:19 AM

I also had it in mind that perhaps an alternative fuel such as oil or gas might be appropriate: what is your opinion on the matter? Aesthetically speaking, I feel that it would not do violence to the vehicle's conception for one or two barrel-shaped excressences, implicit of tanks of some kind, to be added at the rear. [/size] [/font]

Oil firing and water tube boilers both came into use in the '90s.
Oil firing is simpler than coal firing, obviously lights more easily and heats the boiler far more quickly,
another plus is that you don't need a stoking system, a fire-grate cleaning system or an ash disposal
system.  ;D
A water tube boiler is the best match to your intended turbine powerplant, being lighter in weight and
developing higher steam pressures than a fire-tube boiler.
You may want to consider a forced draft blower, or perhaps a scoop system, to ensure that you are always
getting enough air through the firebox.

More speed = more steam = more oil burned = more air required.

Jon

Weaver

My dear friends,

May I offer my sincerest thanks for your continued flow of suggestions, and my profoundest apologies for my lack of attention to this thread. I fear that of late, the pressures of both work and the current multiplicity of Group Builds have made heavy demands upon my time. However, some small progress has been acheived, as may be judged from the accompanying electronumerographs. All four wheel arches have now been cut from the body, and I have endeavoured to machine the edges of them to an appropriate thickness, representative of their supposed sheet metal construction. This has proved to be a slow and tedious process, requiring the application of my poor substitute for a Dremel electric tool with a succession of different bits, chosen to negotiate the various obstructions within the body of the vehicle.

Figure (i) shows the original thickness of the plastic, whose aspect is not improved by the fact that my circle cutter produces a noticeably conical hole when applied to such thick material.

Figure (ii) shows the best results of my efforts at correction. The other portions are not so well advanced, alas.

fig (i):

fig (ii):

Regarding the matter of the fuel and/or water containers at the rear, my intention is to have them fitted lengthways, and blended into the body in the manner of a "barrel-backed" Morgan sports car. I have yet to investigate this matter in detail, however.

I remain yours faithfully,

Weaver
Time-served Tinkerer
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

If I may Sir, the sheet metal available in period, most being of the tinned or Japanned (lacquered) steel variety, would be an
unwieldy material for the body of your swift steam vehicle. The forming of complex curves in thin sheet metal was a yet
to be developed technology due to the inflexibility of the material.

As an alternative may I propose a body shell built of wood using the best racing shell or canoe techniques? or perhaps
paper?
http://kcupery.home.isp-direct.com/SH.html

With critical areas appropriately protected by asbestos and sheet metal fire-guards, of course.

Jon

Weaver

To joncarrfarrelly esq.,

Thank you for your observations regarding the sheet metal working technology of the period. What I had in mind for the bodywork was copper, in relatively small sheets, hand-formed to shape over a carved wooden frame. The complexity of the curvature on each individual piece would therefore be limited. There would of course be a problem when sheets met, and that would be acknowledged by relatively heavy scribed panel lines, indicating a less than perfect fit. Furthermore, large portions of it would have to be removeable for access to internal systems, so these "hatches" would also have deep panel lines.

Your suggestion of wood is interesting, although I must confess that I find the prospect of painting it, should it's appearence be au naturel, to be more than somewhat daunting.

As ever, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Weaver Esq.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

B777LR

If i may sir,

I believe that it is totally careless to build a contraption capable of driving faster than a train. If one were to manage steering the cantraption at the insane speed of 50 mph, who knows what could happen? It is my fear, that the shockwave effects from sound ammounding at the front of the vehicle will become too great, it might break the sound barrier. Would you like to fix the sound barrier? And even worse, what if the vehicle is unable of braking? No brakes have ever been put to this great strain, and thus, you would drive right off the edge of the world! :rolleyes:
But the far worst scenario of all, if i am correct, is if you reach the speed of 132.235 mph. By my calculations, the Lombardini effect would possibly make your contraption explode, and an explosion at that speed would certainly bring an end to life as we know it.

B787

Hobbes

To: Weaver Esq.

Dear sir,
I see the Luddites have been calling on you to cease your endeavor. I implore you not to let their rambling dishearten you. I have taken the liberty of letting my firm's Analytical Engines run some calculations, according to the latest scientific and applied technological insights. You may rest assured that any compression effects due to acoustic waves will not occur below 550 mph, giving you ample headroom for experimentation and the breaking of the Land Speed Record.

Yours truly,

Hobbes, B. Sc. EE
Acme Industrial and Technological Endeavors

jcf

Weaver, Esq.
I have consulted the table "Weights of Sheets and Plates of Steel, Wrought Iron, Copper and Brass" (Cambria Steel 1914, American Wire Gauge),
and after making comparison to the Standard Birmingham gauge have deduced the following, I have used British 16 ga (14 ga AWG):
16 ga sheet Copper weighs approximately 2.9 lbs per sq.ft.
16 ga sheet Steel weighs approximately 2.6146 lbs per sq.ft.

Copper has a density of 556 lbs per cubic foot, by contrast good English Oak is on average 45 lbs per cubic foot.

As to the construction of your vehicle, may I address your attention to the method used in those wonderfully fast
and elegant tea clippers, including Thermopylae and Cutty Sark, once so important in the trade?
These excellent vessels used a composite construction of iron framing and wood planking, the use of iron allowed
for fewer frames resulting in a net savings in structural weight and an increase in hold dimensions.

With this in mind may I suggest the use of similar methods in your terrestrial steam clipper?
Wrought iron frames - as lightly wrought and as few as possible, a single layer of thin planking
and perhaps copper sheathing in way of the wheel openings and, where required, as fireproofing?
A bright varnished finish while attractive would not be necessary.
Thermopylae was rather smart with her deep green topsides.

As ever,
JCF

BlackOps

This is just too cool!  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Mossie

My dear Weaver,

I have been made aware of the existence of industrial machinery that may aid you in your endeavour.  Messers Airfix Esq. purveyors of such modern wonders, have made available a Trevitithick Locomotive & Beam Fire Engine in a scale of three eighths of one inch to one foot.  I daresay that these steel beasts may assist your pursuit of extraordinary land borne velocity, or may be useful for future acts of such folly!

I append the Addresses of the Ecumenical Nexus for your perusal;
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/airfix/build_airfix_5871.shtml
http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/classic-kits/steam/a05870-beam-engine-132-a05870/

Your Faithful Servant,

Mossie, Esq
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Modelling_Mushi

My Dear Messrs Weaver et al

As a newcomer to this esteemed circle far be it from me to intrude upon the advice offered by those who are thought my betters, however I must say that all this talk of sound "barriers", shock "waves" and aero "dynamics" are the ravings of newly wet-nursed infants. Poppycock I say old boy, poppycock! The empire was not founded upon the musings of some stay at home Johhny come lately cumudgeons indulging in idle chatter, but on the toil and sacrifice of men, true men in decent hats and shiny shoes, giving their substance and will for old Blighty. These would be the same people who would have the pertinacity to suggest that illness is caused by tiny creatures that cannot be seen by the eye, that Galen's humours are not to be considered, and that a cup of tea and an afternoon consitutional are not all an Englishman needs to stoke the fires once again.

I look forward expectantly, as does every faithful servant of her Majesty, of seeing more Daugerrotypes of this feat of engineering brilliance, and look towards that glorious and stirring day of your ultimate victory that shall once and for all put those damned colonials in their place.

I remain your humble servant

Andrew
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

puddingwrestler

Here here!

PW: Damned colonial and wearer of decent hats.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

DaFROG

behold the hat in question:

Note also the side whiskers!

DF: damned colonial AND steampunk metallurgist to gentry

puddingwrestler

Dammit man, whiskers of such like magesty are no mere side whiskers; they are front whishers as well!
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

My Dear Friends,

Regrettably, the vagaries of a busy schedule, the dilution of effort occasioned by the multiplicity of builds this Spring, sundry illnesses and other distractions, and, of course, my own profound inadequacies, have resulted in this project failing to reach completion before even the graciously extended deadline. May I offer my sincerest gratitude for every last one of your generous contributions, for even those which I did not ultimately take up occasioned much interest and illumination. May I also assure you that your aforementioned efforts have not gone to waste, since I have every intention of returning to this project in more accomodating times, when, indeed, the more measured pace occasioned by the lack of a deadline should result in the concept being more fully and properly realised than would ever have been realistically possible within the constraints of a Group Build.

I Remain Yours Sincerely,

Weaver Esq.

- Indiana Jones