Main Menu

Dam Busters Group Build

Started by Hman, January 19, 2009, 12:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hman

Lots of great ideas gents.   How about attacking the dam from the dry side, low level lobbing, into the foundations of the dam?
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

kitnut617

How about a Victor B.2 carrying a T-12 Grand Slam (all 44,000lbs of it).  Think that could shake something down.   :blink:  The one on the left is the T-12 with a regular Grand Slam in the middle and the Tallboy on the right
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Tuck

How about something along the line of the Gamelon Drill missile from Star Blazers (aka Space Cruiser Yamato) ??? :wacko:

:wub:
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

Weaver

Inspiration? Well maybe, maybe not, but it's bloody funny all the same.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYClSGINHyU

;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nev

One of the greatest ads of all time :D 

Shame about the beer.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 25, 2009, 02:16:04 PM
How about a Victor B.2 carrying a T-12 Grand Slam (all 44,000lbs of it).  Think that could shake something down.   :blink:  The one on the left is the T-12 with a regular Grand Slam in the middle and the Tallboy on the right

Robert,

That reminds me, where did you get the Tallboy and Grand Slam from? Or are they scratchbuilt?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 24, 2009, 09:56:46 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on February 25, 2009, 02:16:04 PM

Robert,

That reminds me, where did you get the Tallboy and Grand Slam from? Or are they scratchbuilt?

Hi Kit,

The Grand Slam comes from the 1/72 Airfix Lancaster Special kit, the Tallboy comes from the 1/72 Paragon resin set, the T12 started off as a couple of pieces of 3/4" OD ABS pipe, then a large chunk of Milliput for the front and I developed a cone on paper for the tail which was then transfered to a bit of styrene card.  After carefully bending it into the shape I needed, I filled it with Milliput, you might recognize the green bit as you're quite familiar with the kit that it came from --

Cheers,
Robert

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 24, 2009, 12:35:56 PM
...... you might recognize the green bit as you're quite familiar with the kit that it came from --

Hehhe, that'd be a Matchbox Meteor NF11-14 then?  :lol:

Thanks for the gen on the Big Bombs, somehow I've managed to miss the Airfix Lancaster Special, never seen one ever.  >:(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 24, 2009, 12:41:39 PM

Hehhe, that'd be a Matchbox Meteor NF11-14 then?  :lol:

:thumbsup:

Funny, I used to see the Lancaster Special on just about every site I went on --- do you think I can find one now -----

Joe C-P

Quote from: Darren on February 25, 2009, 02:06:28 PM
Lots of great ideas gents.   How about attacking the dam from the dry side, low level lobbing, into the foundations of the dam?

An explosion underwater is magnified by the pressure and imcompressability of water.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Spey_Phantom

ive been having an idea in my head to make a new low-flying, ekranoplan like missile, made espacially to take out dams  ;D

its designed to be released from a centreline pylon of an F-14B or D, but i can build a version for use by other planes, maybe 1 for a Blackburn Buccaneer, Avro Vulcan or TSR.2  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Hobbes

How about a torpedo that isn't meant to go underwater? Put a hydrofoil under it so it'll skim right over those torpedo nets, and have it sink when ti reaches the dam.

GTX

Speaking of Dambusters, look here.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

I was just thinking on those lines.  There was a lot of concern that Hollywood would run riot with the facts & come up with something completely different.  So how about Liberators carrying Upkeep instead???

Nitpicking fool mode ON!  First pic I've seen of the film & already a factual error, those rolling hills don't exactly recreate Scampton & Lincolnshire (it's flat as a f@rt, part of the reason so many bomber stations were located there IIRC)!  But if that's the worst they can throw at it I'll be a happy camper.  Nipicking Fool mode OFF!

At the risk of being stoned, I kind of like the soloution they've come up for the dog/code name.  They've kept the name of the dog, sort of, & managed to avoid the word that everyone was so worried about.

EDIT, Just read the article properly :banghead: & noticed that they mentioned it was only rolled out for testing the techonolgy & not for filming, so disregard my middle paragraph!
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

How would they go about dam busting in the modern era?  I guess guided bunker busters should take pretty good care of a dam, not the problem it once was?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.