Main Menu

Dam Busters Group Build

Started by Hman, January 19, 2009, 12:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Might as well nuke the valley instead, to be honest! But a couple of Storm Shadows or heavy Paveways would take care of a dam no problem I expect.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on May 05, 2009, 05:06:05 AM
I was just thinking on those lines.  There was a lot of concern that Hollywood would run riot with the facts & come up with something completely different.  So how about Liberators carrying Upkeep instead???

Nitpicking fool mode ON!  First pic I've seen of the film & already a factual error, those rolling hills don't exactly recreate Scampton & Lincolnshire (it's flat as a f@rt, part of the reason so many bomber stations were located there IIRC)!  But if that's the worst they can throw at it I'll be a happy camper.  Nipicking Fool mode OFF!

At the risk of being stoned, I kind of like the soloution they've come up for the dog/code name.  They've kept the name of the dog, sort of, & managed to avoid the word that everyone was so worried about.

EDIT, Just read the article properly :banghead: & noticed that they mentioned it was only rolled out for testing the techonolgy & not for filming, so disregard my middle paragraph!
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I've had an idea, which I've trailed in bits and pieces hereabouts, for a series of builds based on really, really terrible Hollywood movie versions of history. They're all "Iron Eagle #27" or some such and whatever the actual history, you can rely on the Ruskies being behind it all in the end and the 'Mercans riding to the rescue in the end.

Already conceived:

Iron Eagle #31 The Falklands: The True Story. Features surplus 2nd Gen Harriers as Sea Harriers, Skyhawks, Yak-36s and uncle Tom Cobbly and all, the newly retired HMS Ark Royal as HMS Invincible, HMS Hermes and the Leon Trotsky, while the Sao Paulo plays the 25 de Mayo and the USS Nimitz..... Madonna is pencilled in as Mrs. Thatcher and Eddie Murphy as Sharkie Ward.....

Iron Eagle #43 The Canada Day Before Tomorrow. A vaguely defined time-travel story in which the Avro Arrow is really cancelled because the prototypes are taken through a time-warp by the Yanks to save Canada from commie aliens in the future. Filmed entirely in Israel, the film features white-painted Kfirs as CF-105 Arrows and black-nosed Magisters as CF-100 Canucks..... Not impossible that it might offend a significant proportion of the membership here.....<innocent smilie>

Now then, about Iron Eagle #26 The Dirty Dambusters? A bunch of misfit criminals are recruited for a top secret USAAF mission to destroy some damns in Germany before the Soviets capture them...... :wacko:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Weaver on May 05, 2009, 09:34:51 AM
Now then, about Iron Eagle #26 The Dirty Dambusters? A bunch of misfit criminals are recruited for a top secret USAAF mission to destroy some damns in Germany before the Soviets capture them...... :wacko:

Yeah, but that was shelved in favour of Iron Eagle #26A - 'Kelly's Dambusters' in which the aforementioned bunch of misfits - including the 'retained' Telly Savalas - Fly their B-24 into Germany, bomb the dam in order to drain the lake, thus exposing the scuttled gold laden barge, then land the B-24 on the now dry lake bed, load it up with gold then fly-off to freedom in neutral Switzerland, but not before they almost fall off the edge of the lake bed at the dam end whilst manoevering for their take-off run "Hold up lads.... I've got an idea".

All filmed in Czechoslovakia with T-34/85's doubling for Tiger I's & 'Shilka's' repainted as Wirbelwind's and the only two remaining S-199's repainted as Bf109's for the inevitable climactic dogfight sequence - no prizes for guessing who wins that one  :rolleyes:

I know, I know, hat, coat, leave...... correct ?  :blink:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Weaver

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on May 13, 2009, 04:45:11 PM
Quote from: Weaver on May 05, 2009, 09:34:51 AM

Yeah, but that was shelved in favour of Iron Eagle #26A - 'Kelly's Dambusters' in which the aforementioned bunch of misfits - including the 'retained' Telly Savalas - Fly their B-24 into Germany, bomb the dam in order to drain the lake, thus exposing the scuttled gold laden barge, then land the B-24 on the now dry lake bed, load it up with gold then fly-off to freedom in neutral Switzerland, but not before they almost fall off the edge of the lake bed at the dam end whilst manoevering for their take-off run "Hold up lads.... I've got an idea".

All filmed in Czechoslovakia with T-34/85's doubling for Tiger I's & 'Shilka's' repainted as Wirbelwind's and the only two remaining S-199's repainted as Bf109's for the inevitable climactic dogfight sequence - no prizes for guessing who wins that one  :rolleyes:

I know, I know, hat, coat, leave...... correct ?  :blink:

Ian

Hat and coat be damned - get building! That's excellent.... :thumbsup: ;D ;D ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Hman

I think I have seen that film... :wacko:
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

GTX

Does anyone know what "Dam Busters" is in German?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Hman

Greg

Bablefish translates it as "Verdammungs-Kerle".

GTX

Quote from: Darren on May 23, 2009, 12:57:48 PM
Greg

Yes, unfortunately I tried Babelfish already and got the same - when I re translate it back to English though (a good test of accuracy), I get "Condemnation chaps" :blink:.

regards,

Greg

GTX

Don't worry, I may have found what I'm after:  "Staudammbrecher" - translates as "Dam crusher" which is close enough for what I'm after.

regards,

Greg

Hman

Greg, are you building something then?

GTX

Quote from: Darren on May 23, 2009, 01:40:50 PM
Greg, are you building something then?

I'm working on an idea and a story to go with... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Greg

PR19_Kit

Quote from: GTX on May 23, 2009, 01:15:56 PM
Don't worry, I may have found what I'm after:  "Staudammbrecher" - translates as "Dam crusher" which is close enough for what I'm after.

Greg,

Indeed, I've seen cartoons menting that translation up at Lossiemouth before now. It rolls nicely off the tongue doesn't it?   -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

Look here for a little inspiration.

Regards,

Greg

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Darren on May 23, 2009, 12:57:48 PM

I knew Babelfish had to be taken with some caution, but "Verdammungskerle" is just hilarious.

Quote from: GTX on May 23, 2009, 01:15:56 PM
<...> "Staudammbrecher" <...>

Staudammbrecher sounds very good.  :thumbsup:

Generally, if anyone has a question regarding a German translation, just drop me a line. I'll be glad to help! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

nev

Quote from: Mossie on May 05, 2009, 05:06:05 AM
Nitpicking fool mode ON!  First pic I've seen of the film & already a factual error, those rolling hills don't exactly recreate Scampton & Lincolnshire (it's flat as a f@rt, part of the reason so many bomber stations were located there IIRC)!  But if that's the worst they can throw at it I'll be a happy camper.  Nipicking Fool mode OFF!

Actually Scampton is at the top of Lincoln Edge, a steep escarpment that runs almost the entire length of Lincolnshire north-south.  So is Waddington.  Granted its, flat as a pancake at the top and bottom mind ;)  But don't forget the Lincolnshire Wolds either.  Binbrook is smack bang in the middle of them, on top of a big hill.

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May