Greased Lightning, Chain Lightning, White Lightning, or something

Started by philp, January 19, 2009, 09:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Been going through some cutaway photos and have a concern.  Where did they store the fuel for this thing?
I know they were notoriously short on range but am concerned the only place for fuel is in that belly bulge.  Was planning on removing that to lower clearance with the wheels.  Was there another internal tank that would hold enough for a couple of runs on the Flats?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jcf

Quote from: philp on January 27, 2009, 10:08:33 PM
Been going through some cutaway photos and have a concern.  Where did they store the fuel for this thing?

In an aerial tanker.  ;D ;D

The wings were the primary fuel reservoir.

You could fit fuel tanks in the areas occupied by the weapon system.
The spine is another possibility as you wouldn't need the engine starting and other systems
installed in that area.
The shock cone is another cavity that could become a fuel tank, as you definitely won't need the radar.

Strip out everything that is associated with the Lightning's original military mission and you'll come up with
a fair bit of space to fill with fuel.

Jon

philp

Thanks Jon,
I will continue with cutting the belly off and pretending I found space for fuel :wacko:
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

You could fit conformal tanks, bearing a suspicious resemblance to half drop tanks, on either side, where the wings were.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

philp

Weaver,
I will think about that idea, thanks.

Been contemplating doing a little dio with this but wondered what ground equipment was required for the Lightning? Power cart for the engines, etc.  Then gotta find it/them in 72nd.  Maybe a pick up or some other civie vehicle for the support crew.

Anyone got any ideas?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

cthulhu77

Mossie

Yeah, there's the RAF Refueling set, recovery set & emergency set.  Although the vehicles WWII vehicles, they continued in use to the early sixties.  From the late sixties, theres the JB Model range, which has now been taken over by Airfix & widely available in both boxings.  There's a Long wheelbase Land Rover in both hard & soft top, one ton Land Rover (& an ambulance version) & a Bedford MK 4 tonner (& tanker variant) that might be useful.

Matador Models do some conversions for several of these kits, again, mostly wartime but many remained in use:
http://matadormodels.co.uk/catalogue.htm

Revell do a handful of modern vehicles, Hummer variants & a MAN truck is forthcoming.

Hasegawa do US Weapons Loading & Ground equipment sets:
=arrived+desc&order[]=code+asc&CODE=&SCALE=1%3A72&KEYWORD=&NUMPERPAGE=50]http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?CATEGORY=&DIVISION=&MANUFACTURER=Hasegawa&TYPE=Diorama+accessories&order[]=arrived+desc&order[]=code+asc&CODE=&SCALE=1%3A72&KEYWORD=&NUMPERPAGE=50
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

cthulhu77

Don't forget the landrover set !  You might want to also hit a local railroad hobby shop, they typically have a lot of HO scale odds and ends.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

jcf

Quote from: nev on February 12, 2009, 09:38:44 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 20, 2009, 08:33:14 AM
Quote from: philp on January 20, 2009, 07:49:25 AM
maybe a god of speed?

Ya mean, aside from Mercury?  ;D

I thought he was the messenger of the gods?

Yes, and described as 'fleet of foot' which either means he's a fast mover or light in the loafers. ;)

Jon

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

philp

Hmmm, British Racing Green or Raspberry Ripple?  Sure, like this isn't difficult enough.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jcf

Quote from: ysi_maniac on February 13, 2009, 11:03:22 AM
Hey,
A British racer MUST be GREEN! :mellow:

I guess Malcolm and Donald Campbell didn't get the message.  ;D

Jon

Weaver

If you get an Airfix Bloodhound missile, and you intend doing something non-standard with the missile, then you've got a Landrover, a big trailer, three bods and a dog left over.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

philp

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Did see that D J Parkins (under Flightpath) has listed a RAF Oxygen/Nitrogen Trolley Set and a RAF 25kVA 'Houchin' Ground Power Unit coming out but I am sure these are outside my price range.  Anyone know what the Oxy/Nitro cart is for?  Anything with the engines?  I can probably find a copy of the US Power Unit from the Hasagawa kit or cobble something together myself.  Just thinking if the RAF is sponsoring the project, they would probably use their equipment.  Probably won't go with a fuel truck as they don't use that much for a run (fuel is weight).  Going to check some of the SSC sites out there to see what they show for support equipment.

Anyone got a copy of the Rover from the Bloodhound set they don't need?  I looked at one once for an SAS idea i had but the kit was very basic so I passed but would work ok for this dio.  Also know there is an Air Force pickup and or blazer from a Belgian company but also probably outside my range.  Guess I need to work on my scratchbuilding skills.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies