One Stop Soviet shop

Started by Taiidantomcat, January 23, 2009, 11:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Interesting.  Yak-38 as land based CAS?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Hobbes

thesolitarycyclist

Quote from: rickshaw on January 23, 2011, 03:26:05 PM
Don't know if this has been posted before.  I spotted a little picture of it in the new Airfix Magazine and it intrigued me so I did some searching and found this.  Russian Helicopters with RAF roundels!

RAF serial ZB698 c/n 103M03

This one is Bulgarian:

Apparently the RAF are using them in the UK to train Afghan pilots

Sauragnmon

They tried using the Yak-38 for ground attack in Afghanistan, but they didn't perform very well.  They had a few painted in A2G schemes as seen in the pictures.  Recce and SEAD MiG-25's were also painted in A2G schemes, the picture showing the former as can be seen with the panels on the nose.

Nice stern shot of a Typhoon there Greg, you rarely see the screws, pics tend to focus on that massively long nose.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

GTX

Something different but of Soviet origin:

More

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

pyro-manic

Good stuff! It must be pretty uncomfortable hitting the ground in one of those.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

GTX

Nice big chopper...if you're into that sort of thing...

Good thing these MiG-31s have tow bars attached as you wouldn't want the taxiing  under their own power there.

Regards,

Greg

Taiidantomcat

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Gondor

Quote from: GTX on February 26, 2011, 09:10:42 PM

Good thing these MiG-31s have tow bars attached as you wouldn't want the taxiing  under their own power there.

Regards,

Greg

I agree especially as both are on jacks !!! :blink:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

MiB

About this: http://cryptome.org/info/soyuz-tma19/soyuz-tma19.htm or Soyuz TMA-19 Descent Module Landing, is simply outrageous that at the dawn of the 21st century, the recoveries after the mission are still made in a manner so amateurish, botched and apparently disorganized!
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

Taiidantomcat

Hobbes

Quote from: MiB on February 27, 2011, 02:06:55 PM
About this: http://cryptome.org/info/soyuz-tma19/soyuz-tma19.htm or Soyuz TMA-19 Descent Module Landing, is simply outrageous that at the dawn of the 21st century, the recoveries after the mission are still made in a manner so amateurish, botched and apparently disorganized!

Botched? That was a good landing.

Heat shield/parachute landings are still used because they are the lightest solution, and a very safe one (not many components that can malfunction).
Given that a space launch still costs in the region of $10,000/kg, weight is perhaps the most important design parameter for spacecraft.

MiB

You have absolutely right, in fact.
I was referring to all the people around only, which no one knows who he is, that push and looks like a disordered crowd :)
They seems farmers who have stumbled upon the astronauts
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"