One Stop Soviet shop

Started by Taiidantomcat, January 23, 2009, 11:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

upnorth

Here's some pics of the gate guard at Caslav AB, Czech Republic. Caslav was the last home of the Czech AF MiG-21 fleet before the type was replaced by Gripens.

My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

pyro-manic

A Mig with a Mig painted on it? :blink:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: pyro-manic on June 02, 2011, 05:53:52 PM
A Mig with a Mig painted on it? :blink:

I almost didn't notice that... Very smooth :wacko:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

upnorth

Yep! I had to do a double take when I saw it in person as well :lol:

The silver paint of the early MiG profile blends in very well with the grey of the actual MiG. It was only when I got a look around the back end and saw the flames painted on at the wing root did I realise what I was looking at. Very subtle.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

GTX

GTX

PR19_Kit

What's the story on the Foxbat piccies then?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

rallymodeller

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 24, 2011, 03:09:15 PM
What's the story on the Foxbat piccies then?

"Red 57" looks like an -RB or -RBSh variant (note the dielectric panels on the sides of the nose and the small radome), and they're used for air defense suppression and tactical bombing. The camo looks like it was added on later; the shabby appearance is pretty normal for the type. Of course, it could be temporary for war games.

My question actually regards the Tu-22M3: what's with the asymmetric loads? On that and the video I posted in another thread, there is a Kingfish on the port-side pylon only, none in the belly rcess or on the starboard pylon. Anyone else wondering about why?
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Maverick

Regarding the asymetric warload, I've read that it's quite routine as one weapon allows considerably more range than carrying two on the pylons.  Whether that specific weapon can be carried on the centreline is debatable as some of the larger Soviet AShMs were quite different in size from each other and needed external carriage rather than recessed.

Regards,

Mav

rallymodeller

Quote from: Maverick on June 24, 2011, 09:09:09 PM
Regarding the asymetric warload, I've read that it's quite routine as one weapon allows considerably more range than carrying two on the pylons.  Whether that specific weapon can be carried on the centreline is debatable as some of the larger Soviet AShMs were quite different in size from each other and needed external carriage rather than recessed.

Regards,

Mav

Here's why I'm puzzled. The missile certainly looks like an AS-4 Kitchen (not a Kingfish as I originally thought), and Backfires were designed to hold one semi-recessed in the bomb bay (albeit with modified doors).

See?

It's in a Tu-22M (early model), but you get the idea.

And even if it is a KSR-5 (Kingfish), the KSR-5 is smaller than the Kh-22 (Kitchen) from which it is derived so it would still fit in the bay. Actually, a Backfire can carry up to three of them albeit with a huge hit in range. So again, why on the pylon? Perhaps there is a new fuel tank in the bay?

--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

ChernayaAkula

Maybe the aircraft in question had the conventional bomb module or the rotary launcher for cruise missiles fitted in the bomb bay?  :unsure:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

Perhaps it took off with two of them and fired one at a range?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit