One Stop Soviet shop

Started by Taiidantomcat, January 23, 2009, 11:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Ahah, thanks for that Jeremak. You learn something new every day.  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

upnorth

Jeremak is right.

Though it's more about compliance to NATO interoperability standards than it is about looks.

English is the official language of NATO, so when joint excercises are done or crew exchange visits, it has to be the language of prevalence.

The old Soviet made stuff that is still kept around can be quite interesting to look at from the standpoint of stenciling.

The Slovak MiG-29 had a mix of Cyrilic and English placards in the cockpit and airframe.

Older Czech Mi-17 and Mi-24 helicopters have predominantly Cyrilic stenciling and placards while the newer Mi-35 and Mi-171 have largely English cockpits and bilingual English/Czech airframe stenciling.

The SA-6 missiles still have only Cyrilic stenciling on them.

I've seen Czech AF L-39 Albatros trainers with nothing but Czech stenciling on them (maybe a bit of national pride at work there.)
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

RussC

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2011, 01:01:34 AM
Jeepers, that SP gun is one tough looking mother!  :o

Why do the Czech Air Force have their title written on the fuselage in English? Or is 'Air Force' the same in Czech and English?

Hmmm, that SP gun hopefully isn't for widespread international sales, cause I bet Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio would get one for his SWAT team. Never know when some kids get out of hand at the local HS and might need some old school discipline... :o
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Taiidantomcat

Love that Digi Hip! I can tell you had a lot of fun  :thumbsup:

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

rickshaw

Oooh!  I love airships.   Do you have any information on the type or when/where the photos were taken?  I've never seen pictures of Soviet Airships before.  :o
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

GTX

That is certainly some long landing gear in that last picture...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

simmie

I ain't ever seen photgraphers like that at RAF Leuchars!!!

Which is a shame really!!!!
Reality is for people who can't handle Whif!!

Now with more WHATTHEF***!! than ever before!

Maverick

Nice pics.  One wonders if it's a posed one with the Bear, as the Russians aren't quite as 'PC' when it comes to cheesecake shots.

Regards,

Mav

Pablo1965

Grand scheme in black, high landing gear, with completions in zebra lines, and black. The plane's landing gear is also high, but less aerodynamic.
:blink:

chrisonord

Looks like the Russians have turned to western tactics to sell their hardware now  :wub:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

pyro-manic

There's no way that's not posed. Completely stupid footwear for a spotter/enthusiast/whatever you want to call it. Completely stupid footwear full stop, in fact, but a person going to an airshow to take photos just isn't going to wear those.

Love the Foxbat pic, by the way. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: pyro-manic on October 21, 2011, 05:12:24 PM
There's no way that's not posed. Completely stupid footwear for a spotter/enthusiast/whatever you want to call it. Completely stupid footwear full stop, in fact, but a person going to an airshow to take photos just isn't going to wear those.

Agreed tourists always dress perfectly practical for any occasion. remember a camera just means you can take pictures it doesn't mean you are a master photographer.  :thumbsup: I know a girl who works at my local airport who throws her work button up on over dresses like that and then clocks in for the day... And no I do not complain.

Wonderful pics! Foxbats  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Geoff

Quote from: chrisonord on October 21, 2011, 03:30:01 PM
Looks like the Russians have turned to western tactics to sell their hardware now  :wub:
Chris.

Works for me!

GTX

Quote from: chrisonord on October 21, 2011, 03:30:01 PM
Chris.

You obviously haven't been to a defence trade show such as Farnborough or Paris in recent years - they leave western companies for dead.  I just wish I could use sales techniques such as this.  Not saying they would be effective, but would still like to try... :wacko:

Here's one that I actually saw in the flesh a couple of years ago:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwQpd6_SUSg  Now take care to note what they are selling!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Steel Penguin

hmm aero engines,  interesting aerobatic stuff on the big screen that's part of the display wall..
( the problem with using sales ideas like that, is that occasionally you get people who know that dancers and bodies are readily viewed on the internet, but no longer live near a flight path.)
yes allegedly sex sells, but when every body's selling it, it becomes mediocre, you have to become more extreme ( yawn) or more inventive ( like round here)
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!