A big project...

Started by matrixone, January 25, 2009, 05:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Here is that Bachmann airplane hanger I mentioned a few weeks ago, this kit has no scale mentioned on the box but looks close to 1/100 scale, the four airplanes are included with the kit.

In this pic the hanger is not glued together yet, I will be making some changes to it before I start building it.
Since I have two of these kits I will build one in pristine condition and build the other with some damage done to the roof from fighter-bomber attacks.
I will be using the planes for painting practice but a couple will be saved for whiffing. ;D

Matrixone

cthulhu77

Young Seur, I see much sanding in your future...

BlackOps

Make sure you stay in the lines when you paint the markings on those jets  ;D

The thing that's cool is, I know we won't even recognize the Hangers when your done with them.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Rafael

Quote from: BlackOps on January 26, 2009, 09:26:43 AM
The thing that's cool is, I know we won't even recognize the Hangers when your done with them.

Granted. Prepare for some Matrixone's patented photo-magic. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

jcf

The Bachman 'Plasticville' building kits are nominally O scale (1/43 ~ 1/48 depending on country), the airplanes are
very much under scale.

Jon

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

matrixone

In the Walthers catalog the kit of the hanger was in the ''O'' scale section, parts of the hanger look like they might be O scale the other parts look like they match the scale of the planes which to me looks close to 1/100 scale. I will see if I can make this toy hanger look like a WWII Luftwaffe hanger, maybe I can't but it might still be useful if used in the distant background of my photobase pics.

I will use one set of wings from this aircraft set for a long span what-if version of one of my He 162 kits.

Matrixone

jcf

Quote from: matrixone on January 26, 2009, 04:36:29 PM
In the Walthers catalog the kit of the hanger was in the ''O'' scale section, parts of the hanger look like they might be O scale the other parts look like they match the scale of the planes which to me looks close to 1/100 scale. I will see if I can make this toy hanger look like a WWII Luftwaffe hanger, maybe I can't but it might still be useful if used in the distant background of my photobase pics.

I will use one set of wings from this aircraft set for a long span what-if version of one of my He 162 kits.

Matrixone

Have you seen the free 1/144 paper model of a WWII German hangar?

It may be useful to your project.

http://www.tomtom-net.de/resources/cardmodel/hangar/hangar_f.htm

Jon

cthulhu77

Darn!  Those are really well done 1/144's !

noxioux

Wow.  Nothing like setting yourself a little challenge. . .  Especially since you've set our expectations so high. . .

What I really want to see now is a feature entitled, "Drybrushing Insignia Demystified".

matrixone

Jon,
Thanks for the link to the 1/144 scale hanger. I live in a very damp climate and anything made of paper will warp very quickly and to make matters worse I take all my pictures outside and that makes the warping problem much more severe. Even balsa and plastic sheet will distort after I expose them to direct sunlight even on cooler days.
The good thing about the Bachmann hanger kit is the thickness of the plastic and it should hold up pretty good to temerature extremes.

Matrixone

jcf

Quote from: matrixone on January 28, 2009, 04:43:45 PM
Jon,
Thanks for the link to the 1/144 scale hanger. I live in a very damp climate and anything made of paper will warp very quickly and to make matters worse I take all my pictures outside and that makes the warping problem much more severe. Even balsa and plastic sheet will distort after I expose them to direct sunlight even on cooler days.
The good thing about the Bachmann hanger kit is the thickness of the plastic and it should hold up pretty good to temerature extremes.

Matrixone

I feel your pain, however, paper models make lovely scalable patterns for heavier materials...like plywood and sheet metal. ;D

Mostly I posted the link as an aid to detailing and appearance rather than a suggestion of construction material.

Jon

matrixone

Thanks again Jon,
I understand now, and may use the pattern on my hanger for next year. If I build it I will keep it at 1/144 scale and use it in the background to give the illusion of distance in my pictures. -_-

BTW, I heard a book is being written about WWII Luftwaffe aircraft hangers and will be released in 2010.

Matrixone

madcatter

Quote from: matrixone on January 26, 2009, 04:36:29 PM

Matrixone

Ha!  Leave it to you to come up with that one!  Not a bad idea, a little extra altitude should give the pilot a little extra time to get out, assuming he can clear the engine.  The He-162 is one of my favorites but what a ridiculous idea, doomed from conception.  I can't wait to see what you do with this one!
-N8

matrixone

Thanks N8,
I have an old Lindberg He 162 kit that will be the 'victim' of my long wingspan whiff idea. :wacko:

Matrixone