Mach2

Started by Thorvic, January 27, 2009, 11:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 15, 2019, 08:47:38 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2019, 06:18:35 AM
I know they did/do one, but haven't seen it mate

Well I have one of those mobile engine hoists in my hobby room just to pick the box up   ;D ;D ;D

;D

When he moved to Spain and got into Soviet projects (I have 3 of them) the walls got thinner, but not by much  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

Regarding the Mach 2 VC10, one of my club members had this opinion...

That Mach2 kit at Telford was horrible. Even worse than their Comet. Wings too fat, back end an approximation at best, and don't get me started on the fuselage. I think they put the window line about 1/4" too low, then fitted the cockpit to that, which means the nose is all wrong. Easier to scratchbuild...

Make of it what you will. He is a perfectionist and very serious modeller.

PR19_Kit

The window height thing is vital for the correct look of any airliner, and SO many people get them wrong, when it's so easy to get it right!  :banghead: :banghead:

All they need I a true side-on pic of the fuselage and it's sorted.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

I don't know if you have noticed but Mach2 are adding airshow newspapers to their kits. I recently bought the Sud Caravelle and found two copies of the Swedish Airshow at Sondag which took place on the 29th August 2004. I had to use a translator App as I can't read Swedish.

McColm

For all those of you that have or are considering building the Mach2 Vickers VC10 and Argosy there's help on YouTube on how to build these models,  which will appear over the next few months.

McColm

Due  for release in December 2020  the 1/72 scale Douglas DC-8 covering the main series and the EC-24 USNavy Electronic Warfare Trainer. Costing £83-85 per kit.
There's plenty of potential for the various engines used during the DC-8s life as a commercial airliner or freighter. A tanker or the AWACS concepts losing out to the KC-135 and E-3A. The JSTARS or even a maritime surveillance aircraft  are other contenders.
No doubt there will be a few discrepancies within the model and aftermarket kits will need to be purchased to put these right.
With further research the Douglas (Long Beach) Model 1467-79 has a rear tail hinge which lifts upwards for easy loading and  four and even eight turbofaned engines on twin pods under each wing. Douglas (Santa Monica) Model 2204 went a step further with an enlarged upper fuselage lobe and a tilting mechanism with rams for rear loading. Sourced from the book 'American Secret Projects,  US Airlifters  1941-1961' George Cox and Craig  Kaston

PR19_Kit

I like the sound of that, but I hope they realise quite how many different engine types were fitted to the Eights, there's LOTS of them. Not to mention fuselage lengths, there's at least four.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 15, 2020, 01:13:39 PM
I like the sound of that, but I hope they realise quite how many different engine types were fitted to the Eights, there's LOTS of them. Not to mention fuselage lengths, there's at least four.
It looks like the series 30 and the shorter fuselage series 50 will be released. A possible fuselage stretch would incorporate the other variants.

PR19_Kit

Those are the very early versions, with the weirdest looking engines, more's the pity. :(

It'd be possible to make the more well known versions, but you'd need two kits, and that'd cost a FORTUNE!

Regards
Kit

Pellson

One would assume MACH2 will focus on the AdA versions, maybe even including the Sarigue?

..or one could just read the available info on the internet..  :rolleyes:

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Pellson

Quote from: Pellson on November 16, 2020, 12:06:23 AM
..including the Sarigue?

..prompting another wildly expensive procurement of a probably profoundly incorrect kit..  :banghead:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

McColm

If the pods are anything like those on the Mach2 sud Caravelle flown by the Swedish Air Force then it's a case of a scratch build or aftermarket parts. I'm guessing that the landing gear will need replacing as well.
Time to start stocking up with the Heller Boeing E-3A/C or 707 kits.

PR19_Kit

That IS interesting, yes. The 'Sarigue' was a one-off (or maybe a two-off....) ex-UTA DC8 fitted out for the SIGINT Task and with those wing tip pods it's a unique shape.

And it's make a nice pairing with my Transall EC-160 Gabriel too..................  ;)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 16, 2020, 04:01:56 AM
That IS interesting, yes. The 'Sarigue' was a one-off (or maybe a two-off....) ex-UTA DC8 fitted out for the SIGINT Task and with those wing tip pods it's a unique shape.

And it's make a nice pairing with my Transall EC-160 Gabriel too..................  ;)
I did have the 1/72 Sidetrack conversion set for the Sea Harrier FA.2. The wingtip pods look very similar in shape to those of the Sarigue.
I think the set came with the wingtip pods and nose, the two-seater rear fuselage was something that I needed to get to complete transformation.

Freightdog862

I worked as a DC-8 dispatcher and flight planner on and off between 1988 and 2010 (55/61/62 series), and having a fondness for the type as much as I'd like to make one, I suspect these will be a far more work than I could maintain enthusiasm to finish.

Unlike its contemporary the 707, the DC-8 was far more robust, we flew from some very small airports often without ground equipment, sometimes offloading freight from the side door precariously onto a forklift with an engine still running as there was no high-loader, ground power or air start available (without an air start you were stuck, most didn't have an APU). Crew's used to love landing them at Sao Tome, where if they arrived too early they would do a low level fly by to summon ATC to the tower so they could land. Needless to say they often tried to get in early to perform their unplanned 5am air display!

Colin