Mach2

Started by Thorvic, January 27, 2009, 11:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 14, 2016, 12:51:45 AM
There were a few of them on the SIG stand, and amazingly the transparencies really were, transparent that is.  :thumbsup:

The 'instructions' hadn't improved any though....

I think Lancaster wings and engines and undercarriage would work well from another manufacturer with the Mach 2 fuselage.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Wooksta!

The Mach Poo wings, engines and u/c are rescribed and tarted up copies of the Airfix 1979 Lancaster.  However, if you're going to pay for the kit as a conversion for a Lancaster, just go straight to the CMR conversion as it's far superior to the Mach kit.

Besides, Mikro Mir are working on a York, so it may be better to wait for that before doing anything.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 14, 2016, 05:11:21 AM

However, if you're going to pay for the kit as a conversion for a Lancaster, just go straight to the CMR conversion as it's far superior to the Mach kit.

Exactly what I am doing although I plan to use the Revell Lancaster wings in my build.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Could use the wings from one of the Shackleton kits, the engines should be okay. Not too sure about the landing gear though, been trying to Whiff a Shackleton with shoulder wings.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on November 14, 2016, 06:32:22 AM
Could use the wings from one of the Shackleton kits, the engines should be okay. Not too sure about the landing gear though, been trying to Whiff a Shackleton with shoulder wings.

You could, but it wouldn't be a York then as the wings would be too long and they'd be the wrong versions of Merlins for an RW York.

[Later] Yeah, I really DID write that......  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

The Lincoln wing would have more lift and teh Merlin 85s would have more power.  Probably a more useful aircraft.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 14, 2016, 07:11:59 AM
The Lincoln wing would have more lift and teh Merlin 85s would have more power.  Probably a more useful aircraft.

Sssssssh, I'm trying to put him off the idea...............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

That will be on hold until I finish my latest batch of builds.

chrisonord

Has anyone here bought and built an Argosy yet? I keep looking at them, ten get put off by mach 2's reputation for making coronary inducing kits. Are they worse than say Amodel, or Modelsvit?? As I have one a few of each of these companies kits and they are far from easy to build. I a very tempte with one though.
Cheers
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

63cpe

Bought one....cut the fuselage halves , wing and tailboom from the sprues.. played with it and put it on top of the heap. Seems an OK model, maybe the best yet from Mach2. Also have their Seamaster, Provider, Seadart, Liftingbodies and Huskie....
One has to be a masochist to built the latter. :wacko:  Bought miself a vacuformed huskie for a kitbash project ......one day...
I reckon the lifting bodies are better than the Provider and the Seadart. The Seamaster and Argosy are the best efforts IMHO.

I thinks it has to do with the size of the model and the crude mould & technics used. The smaller the model, the lesser it is detailed and the more you have to kitbash or scratch built. vice versa...

Goodluck! ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: 63cpe on December 04, 2016, 03:04:40 PM

Bought one....cut the fuselage halves , wing and tailboom from the sprues.. played with it and put it on top of the heap. Seems an OK model, maybe the best yet from Mach2. Also have their Seamaster, Provider, Seadart, Liftingbodies and Huskie....
One has to be a masochist to built the latter. :wacko:  Bought miself a vacuformed huskie for a kitbash project ......one day...
I reckon the lifting bodies are better than the Provider and the Seadart. The Seamaster and Argosy are the best efforts IMHO.

I'm with you in the Seamaster, Sea Dart and the lifting bodies. The Seamaster is a tour de force with that beaching 'trolley', but it needs some de-warping before it all fits together. If the Argosy is of that class it should build well.

The Seamaster has a roughly moulded, and inaccurate canopy for the version modelled, but Mr. Anigrand will sell you two of his vacform canopies for very little moolah and they're much better, and accurate too.

Regards
Kit

McColm

I tried building the Argosy but got a bit lost on the engines, two exhaust pipes on the same side. Tried cutting one out to exchange it for the other side and swap them over. Fuselage sides are not the same length nor are the rear doors. That's why I went with the Italeri Fairchild C-119/AC-119K parts. The Tyne engines seem to be a good fit. I know the auxiliary jet engines are supposed to be fitted to the underside of the wings but I thought mounted on the wingtips would be different.

chrisonord

Thanks for the advice and info fellas,it looks like it will HAVE to be built as a whiff whether it likes it or not then. I will keep my eyes open for a second hand one I think
Cheers
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Gondor

The Argosy looks good. On my part I made a mistake and bought the Sand /Brown camouflaged boxing and only later realised that I should have bought the boxing with the white uppers in RAF service  :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on December 05, 2016, 10:55:35 AM
The Argosy looks good. On my part I made a mistake and bought the Sand /Brown camouflaged boxing and only later realised that I should have bought the boxing with the white uppers in RAF service  :banghead:

Gondor

But surely the mouldings are the same, aren't they Alastair? The civvie one should have different nose and rear doors though.

Regards
Kit