Mach2

Started by Thorvic, January 27, 2009, 11:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king of men

I think he was talking about the Airfix Nimrod, not their Comet.
All hail 1:72!
Visit the blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/
Visit 72 Scale Aircraft forum at http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php

rickshaw

Posted over at Britmodeller:

Hopefully these are early pre-production versions of the model.  Otherwise there will be a lot of windows being filled in.  Now, I'd replace them with decals, after filling them in, if I was working on one of these.   It is an imaginative choice, I have to admit.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on November 12, 2018, 11:22:24 PM

Hopefully these are early pre-production versions of the model.  Otherwise there will be a lot of windows being filled in.  Now, I'd replace them with decals, after filling them in, if I was working on one of these.   It is an imaginative choice, I have to admit.

No, The Wooksta's one was just the same.

Quite how manufacturers get this most basic of RW airliner dimensions wrong amazes me. Airfix did the same with their DC10 and it sticks out a mile.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Yes folks  Mach2 has released a 1/72 model of the VC10 priced at around £70-80, from the artwork I have seen the K2 as an inflight refuelling tanker in camouflage and grey paint scheme,  in BOAC as well. Model Hobbies is sold out at the moment.

The Wooksta!

The same guy who looked over the Comet had a look at the VC10 and he reckons the nose is off.  Bearing in mind, he was an airline engineer, I trust his judgement.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

That camo over grey scheme was only used on the very first VC10 tanker, and it didn't last very long before they painted grey, or hemp maybe.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 14, 2019, 05:30:55 AM
That camo over grey scheme was only used on the very first VC10 tanker, and it didn't last very long before they painted grey, or hemp maybe.

The order was Hemp in the 80's and into the 90's I think, then Grey

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 14, 2019, 05:30:55 AM

In service initial paint job was Hemp upper surfaces and IIRC Light Aircraft Grey undersides.  They later went all grey - either Camouflage Grey or (perhaps) Medium Sea Grey with what I think was a Dark Camouflage Grey fuselage stripe with 'lightning bolt'.  Not convinced the entire fleet went that way as older tankers started to be retired before the new scheme could be applied.  The 10 Sqn C.1s all ended up that way as they became tanker transports.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

TBH, I was tempted to get one for about five minutes and then saw the price.  I also remembered I still have the Magna kit I bought in 2007 and still haven't done anything with twelve years later.  Therefore, I couldn't be *that* interested and put the money towards something else.

It'll be interesting to see how many are bought and end up on the display tables - there was a sizable vocal minority on Britmodeller some time back wanting Airfix to do one.  Wonder if they'll put their money where their mouths are?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

McColm

Someone might produce the MR conversion set in 1/72 scale like they did in 1/144 scale  :banghead:

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 14, 2019, 03:40:13 PM
I also remembered I still have the Magna kit I bought in 2007 and still haven't done anything with twelve years later. 

Flipping heck Lee. Knowing the thickness of resin used in Magna's fuselage walls that must weigh a ton ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2019, 05:45:04 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 14, 2019, 03:40:13 PM
I also remembered I still have the Magna kit I bought in 2007 and still haven't done anything with twelve years later. 

Flipping heck Lee. Knowing the thickness of resin used in Magna's fuselage walls that must weigh a ton ?

Have you seen their Shorts Belfast then Chris ?   :-X
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

I know they did/do one, but haven't seen it mate
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

If someone does make the Belfast, how many of us will it take to carry it into an exhibition, and will the table need reinforced legs?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2019, 06:18:35 AM
I know they did/do one, but haven't seen it mate

Well I have one of those mobile engine hoists in my hobby room just to pick the box up   ;D ;D ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike