Westernise it (it hasn't be brought up, right?)

Started by dy031101, January 28, 2009, 10:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

Since there is the "Sovietise It" idea...... would the opposite be as attractive an idea?

Take your favourite Eastern-Bloc tank/ship/airplane and make a Western-influenced (as in countries whose technologies are influenced by the West, like modern Japan or South Korea) take of the idea these vehicles represent?

I remember that one of the ideas brought up when South Korea was contemplating a helicopter carrier was one based on the Kiev class aviation cruiser- Oto-Melara 5-in. guns and Mk.41 VLS forward, followed by the superstructure (offset to the starboard) and angled flight deck.

And, as the one example that inspired me into proposing this one, one of the early scaled-models of MiG-29 got me figuring:

wasn't that MRAAM under the fuselage a bit like a Sparrow?  Just do it like a YF-16 (pic at bottom) and replace the R-60 with a AIM-9M.

Or a Su-33 with Python 3s and AMRAAMs or Meteors......

So...... how does this one sound?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

GTX

In some respects this has already happened in the real world.

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

RADM Gilchrist wrote an article about using SU-33s for US Navy Carriers, tried searching but didn't have any luck. I personally would be up for a USMC Sea Flanker  :mellow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Daryl J.

After the Finns completely redid their MiG-21's, they turned into quite an improved machine.    Would that be 'Westernized'?   ;D ;D

Daryl J.

dy031101

Quote from: Daryl J. on January 30, 2009, 09:51:02 AM
After the Finns completely redid their MiG-21's, they turned into quite an improved machine.    Would that be 'Westernized'?   ;D ;D

Did it actually happen in real life?

In any case, like GTX said, something like this has already happened to other Eastern-Bloc-origin military gears in real-life.

My original intention is like "how would the West have outfitted this plane/tank/ship if they came up with the same basic design"...... but perhaps modifications of Soviet-made gear to the level I think you are suggesting...... the end product is very similar- OTL Eastern-Bloc-origin designs clad in nothing but Western-influenced gears and assessories.

So alright, why not- count it in if it makes extensive use of Western-influenced technologies.  Readily-visible examples would include an American LOROP pod, an Israeli or Italian radar that can guide an AIM-7 (that is hung under the centreline pylon before launch), and fuselage-mounted chaff/flare launchers......

For subtle examples...... what do you have in mind?  :thumbsup:

====================

To-do list here

Fulcrum

What about a Mig-29 with the Blue Vixen radar from the FA.2 Sea Harrier, while armed with AMRAAM's, Sidewinder's & Maverick's.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

dy031101

Quote from: Fulcrum on January 30, 2009, 10:29:55 AM
What about a Mig-29 with the Blue Vixen radar from the FA.2 Sea Harrier, while armed with AMRAAM's, Sidewinder's & Maverick's.

The alteration sounds visible enough.  :cheers:

This is just a suggestion meant for people who don't mind going the distance- but if an opened panel and an internal mounting of a M16A1 or BK-27 cannon can be made...... how cool do you think it'd be?

====================

To-do list here

GTX

Quote from: Fulcrum on January 30, 2009, 10:29:55 AM

Like these maybe:

from the Canadian MiGs story.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

lancer

I like this idea, I could even see me doing something for it. Esprcially as all the other current GB's have left me totally blank for ideas
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

dy031101

Another example of the second scenario (very-extensive rebuild of Eastern-Bloc weapons) would be Logan's Americanized Mi-24.

====================

To-do list here

Daryl J.

Yes, the Finns redid their MiGs.   From what I was told by someone who was there firsthand, the machines were nearly 100% disassembled, corrected, and put back together with no small level of craftsmanship.   It was similar to the automotive blueprint and balancing of an engine.    Somehow it seems they were designated MiG-21F-12.    Others know far more than I however.

Daryl J.

B777LR

If we are allowed to update aircraft, a bit like what IAI did to the MiG-21-2000, or Denel with the Super Hind, im in. If it has to be a westernised western built aircraft, im not :thumbsup:

dy031101

I remember that someone mentioned writing a paper on how Ka-52 can be turned into a replacement for the ARH-70 and even the ARH-66 for the US Army...... and got marked "A" for that paper.  Not much was said to me on how, so it'd be open for interpretation for the purpose of this topic.

Quote from: B787 on February 04, 2009, 08:27:57 AM
If we are allowed to update aircraft, a bit like what IAI did to the MiG-21-2000, or Denel with the Super Hind, im in.

The more extensive the better.

Quote from: B787 on February 04, 2009, 08:27:57 AM
If it has to be a westernised western built aircraft, im not :thumbsup:

Now...... why would I suggest something so ordinary here?  :thumbsup:

(I'm not saying that ordinary is bad, just that it doesn't suit my purpose here.)

====================

To-do list here

TsrJoe

cool, i hadnt heard that re the Finnish MiG.21F's other than some rewiring for indiginous camera pods, i do know that there was a modification programme in place for the MiG.21bis updating their ecm. suite (take a look at the fin and wing tips of some of the later Finnish examples!) i think this was curtailed due to the type being retired from service.

having said that this is 'whatif' so lets assume that Valmet recieved some windfall funding and updated the 21's with western radar and missiles to keep them in service into the 21st century??!  :thumbsup:

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

dy031101

You guys made me want to ask my acquaintances for a place for doing airbrushing before grabbing a 1/72 MiG-21 as eagerly as the originally contemplated MiG-29......

====================

To-do list here