Tunnan Work in Progress

Started by Mossie, January 29, 2009, 02:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Thanks guys!  I was hoping to spray the undersurfaces today, but I didn't get around to it.  I'm out tonight & tomorrow daytime, so hopefully I can do something on the evening.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

That Sabre-Dog look on the nose is terrific Simon.  Your skills and confidence are really coming along.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

Thanks Nev, but I've got to airbrush it yet!  :o I'm going to use Tamiya paints, these will hopefully give me a better result than I've had with the Humbrol Acryllics.  I've had a little trouble sourcing the underside colour, but I've found one that'll be roughly right.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Arc3371

An interesting build, a backup if the A/J-32 program runs into trouble?

Mossie

Could have been, the J 29R was proposed in 1950, at a time when the Lansen was still in development & still seen as pretty much a strike aircraft.  I think the main reason the R variant was not proceeded with was because Saab was very busy building the Tunnan & designing the Lansen.  There may have been some early thoughts of developing the Lansen into a fighter at that stage, this may have been a factor too.

Brian da Basher

I really like the look of your Tunnan and your modifications are a real treat! That new radar nose reminds me of "Kilroy was here" graffiti.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Mossie

Thanks guys!  Never thought of that Bri, it does doesn't it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopefully should get some paint on tonight, real life has got in the way slightly, but I haven't abandoned it!

Mossie

Got the underside on last night & the results were lackluster.  The first coat went on well & I was pleased at how well the Tamiya paints sprayed.  The second coat, not so good.

A few things consipred against me, the weather was terrible (worst snow for twenty odd years here) & the garage had flooded slightly & it was bloody cold.  A wind was whipping under the door blowing the paper I had down & threatened to blow it onto the model.  Add to that I wasn't feeling too well.  So I kind of rushed it a bit & ended up with over-runs.  Another problem is I haven't quite worked out how to control my compressor yet, it tends to easily creep up to 30psi.  I'll use a lower pressure next time.

I had a look at it this morning & it's not too bad.  No need to hit with the power spray, I can sand the worst bits.  I'll get onto that tomorrow evening, as the missus is taking me out for my birthday tonight.

pyro-manic

Can't wait to see it. Happy birthday! :cheers:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Brian da Basher

Many happy returns on your special day, Mossie!
:party: :cheers: :drink: :party: :cheers: :drink: :party:
Brian da Basher

HOG

Quote from: Brian da Basher on February 03, 2009, 01:31:19 PM
Many happy returns on your special day, Mossie!
:party: :cheers: :drink: :party: :cheers: :drink: :party:
Brian da Basher
Wot they said  ;D
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Mossie

Mossie

Here's where I'm up to, first & second attempts at airbrushing using Tamiya paints.  The first pic is after a sanding down, but shows the variation in tone I got much better.  The second attempt looks better than it is, but you can see definate differences in tone.  I'm probably going back to a hairy stick for now, although I don't intened to the ditch the airbrush entirely, I'll pick it up again at some stage.

What's barely visible in the pics, is a 'swirly' type effect, not quite the orange peel you sometimes see, but I think it's to do with having too high a pressure.  Part of the problem is that I can't seem to maintain a pressure with my compressor.  Keep it on & it quickly gets up to 30psi, turn it off & it drops too low.  Not sure what to do about that.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Keep the faith, Simon and practice thismantra as if your modelling life depended upon it - which it does......

.......Low pressure, two or three thin coats are always better than one thick, Low pressure, two or three thin coats are always better than one thick, Low pressure, two or three thin coats are always better than one thick, Low pressure, two or three thin coats are always better than one thick,

Etc

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)