Tunnan Work in Progress

Started by Mossie, January 29, 2009, 02:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

What kind of regulator do you have on your compressor?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Mossie

Ian, Low pressure, gotcha.  What would you call low?  10-15psi is about the range I've read.

Baz, ah, you've got me there.  It's an old Holding compressor, noisy & large but bombproof.  It seems not to have a regulator, I thought it did.  Which give some kind of answer to why I'm fairing so badly, I haven't got a bloody clue!  I'd like to join a club so I can pick up tips, but the closest one is well over an hours drive away.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I got the same compressor.... regulator works when it feels like - usually in the summer months - learnt to work without by simple trial and error, and there have been so many errors  :blink:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

John Howling Mouse

They say that nothing is better controlled than a breathing air cylinder.  And they're silent vs compressor's noise. Only drawback is having to refill it.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Mossie

I've heard of people using tyres too, just pumping them back up when they're deflated.  No idea how well they work.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Ditched the airbrush for now, as I just want to get this finished.  I've painted the undersides in Humbrol H.166 Light Aircraft Grey/Light Ghost Grey.  I think the underside should be a little paler & less of a beige-grey, but it'll do.

I'll be pushing to get this done in time for Huddersfield on Sunday, deja vu is creeping in a bit!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

D O N ' T   R U S H   I T, that way lies insanity and frustration - take your time and finish it well. You've come a h*ll of a long way in this project and in your modelling generally. Simon, relax ain't nobody going to give you any greif at Huddie for not finishing it.

Chill, enjoy the project and finish it when you're ready..... OK ?

Ian
(Been there, done that, will NEVER do it again !)
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

sotoolslinger

Must agree you put so much effort into doing the mods well. If you rush through the finish work you'll just end up unsatified and redo it later anyway. ;D
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Mossie

Don't worry guys!  It was always intended as a quick-ish build to help pick me out of a lull since before Telford.  The PSR & airbrush problems slowed it a little, but now I'm back with my old hairy sticks it should be plain sailing (he says with fingers crossed).

I'm fairly confident I can finish it for Sunday without messing it up.  There's enough time.  The question with me always, is if I can keep my motivation up.  With one eye on Huddersfield, that should help, as it did last year with my F11F.  Then hopefully I can get on with some projects for Telford.

sotoolslinger

Cool  :thumbsup:If your happy we're happy ;D
I amuse me.

Mossie

Mmmmm, chocolate.....

First colour on.  Don't think I'll get it finished for Huddersfield, events have conspired against me.   Masking took me longer than I anticipated & it took 31/2 hours to get home tonight due to the snow (a journey that normally takes 11/2). Still, we'll see.

sotoolslinger

Nifty looking forward to the rest of the paint work :thumbsup: :wub:
I amuse me.

HOG

Hi Mossie,
Keep it up, don`t fall at the last pub post.
As an aside to your air problems heres a cheap solution to see if regulating works better. Find a pet shop, aquarium shop, somewhere that sell fish, but not a fishmonger or a chip shop, and ask for an airline regulator. Its a small usually plastic tube with a screw in it basically, that fits into the airline from airpumps. Fix it into your airbrush airline as near to the compressor as possible and tighten down for low pressure and unscrew for more air. Shouldn`t cost more than a quid or two. I know it sounds a bit Heath Robinson, but it does work.
Cheers  :drink:
Gary
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Mossie

Tex, the second colour'll be slightly unusual (but real world).

Gary, might not be able to do it in the time I've got left, unless I can get out of the wedding of one the Missus's freinds.  Although given that only other option would be to loose body parts.....   :o  Thanks for the tip with the regulator, I might give that a go.

frank2056

The brown was hand brushed? Really? So why do you need an airbrush again? If I could hand brush like you (or like JHM) I wouldn't use an airbrush as much.