Tunnan Work in Progress

Started by Mossie, January 29, 2009, 02:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

It's not as good close up!  The brown was ever so slightly patchy & brush marks are visible.  The new Humbrol acrylic paint is okay, but I've heard good things about Valejo & Xtracrylix so I'll be on the hunt for those at Huddersfield.

Bit of a disaster this morning.  I put the second colour on last night & removed a small amount of masking before I went to work.  The masking has taken large chunks of paint with it.  Trouble is, the brown coat was hand mixed, so I'm probably going to have to re-mask it all.  Pictures later.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sotoolslinger

Mossie I have been there an done that. Arcrylics have a hard time sticking to oil based primer if that is what you used. Regular masking tape is very hard on paint. You really need to get some painters blue masking tape. Buy 3M brand .
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Mossie

Thanks Ron, I'll have a look for it.  I used the bog standard white decorators masking tape.  I've had this reel a few years, & I find it can get more aggressive with time.  I deliberately de-tacked it before hand as well.  I'm finding the to acrylics quite 'challenging', they have a few problems that enamels don't have.  The only benefit for me is the improved drying time.

These things are sent to test us!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

Bloody hell Simon, no wonder you pulled up your paint with industrial strength masking tape!!

When you're getting your udders feeled, pick up a roll of Tamiya masking tape, it IS pricey, but by jove it has a razor straight edge, doesn't bleed underneath, and is less likely to lift*.  I got some at Cov last year and I can't believe I was stupid enough to try and get by with cheap masking tape all these years

* you may still get lift with acrylics over enamel, paint that hasn't been left to dry long enough, or paint over a metallic colour.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

JayBee

I will second that, Tamiya making tape rules!!!!
AND, many thanks to my wife, AKA Mrs. Santa, who got me my first roll of the stuff. I now have all three widths available.

JayBee
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Mossie

I've got three different sizes of Tamiya tape!  I use Tamiya tape for the edges & fill in the middle with decorators tape to save on cost as your both right, it's pricey.  Trouble was, when I took the rest off, it peeled in places where both type were used.  It's only peeled where I used it on the brown coat, the grey undersides are fine except for a tiny patch which can be quickly sorted out.  I should have thought about this & left some of the mixed brown, I knew I'd have to touch up bleed-throughs.

This leaves me with a three-pronged dilemma.  I can mask off the blue areas & repaint, but they're painted over the brown & might suffer the same fate.  Instead, I can re-mix the brown, paint over the peeled patches then attempt weathering it, something I've never done before.  Or, I can strip the lot & start again, although I've found that Humbrol Acrylics don't react well to Fairy Power Spray.  Decisions, decisions, but I'll be ditching the Humbrol Acrylics for the next project.  I'm leaning towards the weathering, it'll be the most fun to try at least!

Oh, (in best Rolf Harris impersonation), can you guess what it is yet?

John Howling Mouse

I know photos can be deceiving but your primer looks awfully smooth, bordering on semi-gloss for "primer."
It looks like bare plastic, almost has a sheen back in your first head-on pic of the primer.  Should be a dead-dull surface, giving the
paint more "tooth" to grab onto.

Did your paint pull off leaving the primer intact or did it pull up the primer as well----looks like bare plastic where the paint is missing.

Can you obtain Krylon sandable grey (aerosol) primer in your area?  It has never let me down yet!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

If Krylon is unavailable check into Duplicolor (at auto parts stores) almost as good ,and make sure you get the sandable kind. With the enamel paints if you use Lacquer Thinner instead of regular paint thinner it reduces drying time.
I amuse me.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Halfords Grey or White acryic primer straight from the rattle-can..... I swear by it. And next time use the Tamiya tape, Simon, for something as small as a 1:72 Tunnan, it isn't going to eat into your budget in any noticeable way.... trust me :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

It's Halfords (Britains largeset auto store) primer & it's intact, except for a tiny bit that might be due to a light sanding I gave it.  I'm not sure if you can get Krylon or Duplicolor here, I'll check some of the smaller car shops.

Halfords is pretty much worshipped by modellers here & settles very smooth, part of it's appeal.  I've got a feeling the Humbrol Acrylic isn't bonding to it.  I've used this brand before over Halfords primer, both with Tamiya tape & blue tack & not had a problem.  The underside colour is Humbrol too (although over the earlier Tamiya coat) & that hasn't lifted.  Just one of those things I guess.

I think I will use Tamiya tape on it's own in the future, I started using the decorators tape at a time when funds were much tighter.  Saying that, the Tamiya tape lifted it too so wouldn't have helped me here.  I should really have kept back some of the mixed brown rather than rinsing it away....
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Sans Primer:

Mit Primer:

sotoolslinger

With no experience with that brand and just going by the pics I would say it does look too glossy . Is it labeled as sandable?
I amuse me.

Softscience

Mossie

Hadn't thought of it like that, it does doesn't it!?!  :lol:

Ron, I'm not sure if it says so on the can, but experience says it is.  It normally takes paint pretty well.  One possibility is that I got my greasy mitts on it, although I usually wash my hands before handling a model.  Just before masking I'd washed some very greasy pots, that's quite probably the problem, at least it's the only one I can think of.

lancer

Quote from: JayBee on February 13, 2009, 10:20:43 AM
I will second that, Tamiya making tape rules!!!!
AND, many thanks to my wife, AKA Mrs. Santa, who got me my first roll of the stuff. I now have all three widths available.

JayBee

To right!! I never use anything else.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

lancer

Simon, have you tried doing your filling in with maskol or something like that?? It's something that I do so that I keep theuse of the Tamia tape to the edges areas that need a hard mask. It usually does the job pretty well, so long as you don't make the layer of maskol too thin.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die