How to wallop a Walrus (airfix 1/72): Scale-o-rama!!!

Started by Brian da Basher, January 30, 2009, 01:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

I can't wait to see it with a bit of paint on BdB -----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Doc Yo

What a novel idea! Looking forward to seeing your progress with it.

Brian da Basher

Quote from: sequoiaranger on February 03, 2009, 06:37:15 AM
Maybe make a row of windows high up as the "cockpit", then think of Cruise-ship style--mini-theatre in the nose, small dining room, then rows of "stateroom" windows aft of the wings.

Just thinking/imagining.

<snip>

Now you've got me thinking! Thanks, SR!

Getting close to some decals...detail paintwork today maybe.

Brian da Basher

jcf

Your creation would look lovely in a paint scheme similar to the Farman F.60 Goliath.

I look forward to the back story.

Cheers, Jon

Brian da Basher

In 1930, the nascent Maine firm of Booth Bay Aero, owned by Bayliss Bayden, unveiled their new four-engined amphibious flying boat. The aircraft was the marvel of its day, able to carry 50 passengers and three tons of cargo. The rear upper cabin behind first class was normally outfitted as a bar, but could be converted to a honeymoon suite. It was this unique large front fuselage that led to the name Bayleen and at one fell-swoop it bested competing twin-engined designs from Sikorski and Consolidated which seemed puny by comparison. The Bayleen was awarded Flying Boat of the Year at the 1930 Naragansett Bay Commercial Flying Boat competition, setting new records for payload, time-to-altitude and speed.

Unfortunately for the Bayleen, Bayliss Bayden inked a deal with the famously frugal Stingy McTightwad, purchasing agent for Eastern Airlines. Bayliss Bayden's bay rum besotted signature was on a deal obligating Booth Bay Aero to provide Eastern Airlines with three Bayleens for thousands of dollars below cost. Booth Bay Aero met their end of the contract, but no further orders were forthcoming and Bayliss Bayden was reduced to poverty and retired to an old shack on the dock of the bay.

Eastern Airlines put its Bayleens to work on the Oyster Bay to New York and Chesapeake Bay to Washington DC routes. When the long range of the Bayleen was discovered, it flew the New York to Biscayne Bay route. By 1940, all the Bayleens were retired from Eastern and the last known example was being used as a potato barn on Long Island until destroyed by marauding sea gulls in 1980. Shown here is a travel agent's desk model purchased off E-Bay.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The entire model was brush painted by hand with acrylics, Polly Scale Reefer White and Polly Scale Blue mostly. Decals definitely make any airliner and these came from a cheapo set for an Eastern Airlines Electra. The cockpit windows are decals from a 1/144 DC-3. Most of the windows and doors are from a generic sheet, but the skylights for First Class come from Junkers G38 decals.

I had a lot of fun on this project and I look forward to getting to work on my next entry!

Brian da Basher

P.S. A tip o' the pin to Frank for suggesting the name!

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

frank2056

Brian - That's just fantastic! You turned a pig of a kit into a whale of a beautiful model!

Daryl J.

For what is likely the only time in my life, I adore Paris Hilton's comment  "That's Hawt!"   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Daryl J., using her quote in an entirely different, more appropriate way

John Howling Mouse

Geez, Brian: another one for the 2009 Whiffies potential nominees!  [Edit: Ha!  I see Philp already beat me to it!]

Man, oh man, you are a creative genius and a talented modeler.  What is the wingspan on this baby?

:wub:   :wub:   :wub:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Tophe

Wonderful creation, congratulations! :thumbsup:
The relation to the initial walrus is not obvious at all, only the hull, fin, floats (at first sight).
Brian, I feel worried, as I have to change my mind about you: you are not only the Master about spats-aircraft... ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Ed S

Another winner!!  You keep doing this Brian.  Very creative and original.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Wow, just wow........ :bow: :bow: :bow:

Your ability to see alternatives in shapes and components is stunning.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sequoiaranger

**actual lyrics to a Chuck Berry song.

[shaking his head, smiling broadly] Brian, I am so appreciative of your modeling "wit" and energy. If only I had half your energy (the wit part has already been attained!).
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!